Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man's neck broken at chiropractic session

Eldorado

"A man suffered a broken neck while being treated by a York chiropractor for an aching leg, an inquest heard today.

"John Lawler’s widow Joan told how her husband was on a treatment table at Chiropractic 1st in The Mount in August 2017 when things started to go wrong.

"She said he started shouting at chiropractor Dr Arleen Scholten: “You are hurting me. You are hurting me.” Then he began moaning and then said: “I can’t feel my arms.”

Full story at the York Press: https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18028898.john-lawler-suffered-broken-neck-chiropractor-treatment-inquest-told/

"Bank manager died after he was left with broken neck following session with chiropractor, inquest hears."

Full report at the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/11/bank-manager-died-left-broken-neck-following-session-chiropractor/

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Oh, my!  That happened to my aunt but my cousin was in the room and yelled at the chiropractor to get away from her.  My cousin called an ambulance and the chiropractor showed up at the hospital to insist that they let her finish the treatment.  The doctors had to chase her out.  This story is even worse.  How can anybody be so stupid.  That is horrible that the chiropractor is still practicing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

This is a horrible story but I have to wonder if the Chiropractor knew Lawler had serious back issues which included implanted metal rods. His age would have complicated his bone issues even more. The articles don't say if he ever saw her before. The Chiropractor shouldn't have touched him at all without a complete set of x-rays to diagnose what the problem could be and she certainly should have stopped when he told her that she was hurting him much less applying a stimulator to his neck when he told her he couldn't feel his arms. I can't believe she kept going. I agree with Desertrat. I hope this woman isn't still practicing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is horrible that the chiropractor is still practicing

Any chiropractor. If you have problems with your muscles or joints then go to a physio. A professional, trained for years, not some hack with a pseudo qualification held in a pseudo medical field.

How many athletes has anyone heard of going to a chiropractor? That should tell you everything you need to know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, susieice said:

This is a horrible story but I have to wonder if the Chiropractor knew Lawler had serious back issues which included implanted metal rods. His age would have complicated his bone issues even more. The articles don't say if he ever saw her before. The Chiropractor shouldn't have touched him at all without a complete set of x-rays to diagnose what the problem could be and she certainly should have stopped when he told her that she was hurting him much less applying a stimulator to his neck when he told her he couldn't feel his arms. I can't believe she kept going. I agree with Desertrat. I hope this woman isn't still practicing.

The article said it was his 3rd visit in the week, the chiropractor was doing a 3 week therapy in one week.  But you are correct, he should have done xrays and asked questions first, especially considering the man's age.  The one who broke my Aunt's neck was told right off that my aunt had cancer in her neck.  The chiropractor should have walked away without touching her, but the mitigating circumstance was that the doctors my aunt had been to see 2 days earlier because of the neck pain, thinking the cancer was back, took xrays and read someone else's xrays telling her she was fine, when in fact, the cancer was back.  So in the end the chiropractor and the doctors were sued and it was all very ugly and took her a long time to recover.  If my cousin hadn't have been in the room that chiropractor would have killed her by making "one more adjustment" when she started screaming in pain.  Some are arrogant and think they know more than they do, which is dangerous for their clients.

5 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Any chiropractor. If you have problems with your muscles or joints then go to a physio. A professional, trained for years, not some hack with a pseudo qualification held in a pseudo medical field.

How many athletes has anyone heard of going to a chiropractor? That should tell you everything you need to know.

There are chiropractic therapies that do not involve manipulating/cracking bones.  There are good chiropractors out there, and they only use the activator after doing a thorough exam and asking relevant questions.  They are trained for 6 years.  It is the bone crackers that should be run out of town.  Allopathic medicine is not always the right choice either, rampant with arrogant people killing their patients because they didn't listen or ask questions.  And the biggest problem is people who want someone to fix everything without any effort from themselves.  That makes it easy for the arrogant, uneducated, untrained, self important or what ever other mental illness causes people to think they know how to fix everyone and don't need to do due diligence.