Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don Cherry fired

Hankenhunter

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEMv46ewgtSWH9cONcNJRke0qFwgEKg4IACoGCAow6bV4MPfJDDDB1MUF?hl=en-CA&gl=CA&ceid=CA%3Aen

It's about time. His best before date expired about 20 years ago. You used to be funny till you veered away from actual hockey talk to racism and insults. You wont be missed except for the fine folks at Fabric land. They're inconsolable right now. Last heard saying " what the hell am I going to do with all these tacky fabrics. Sob".

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow I've never heard of this guy, but what the heck is up with that shirt he's wearing?

No-Neck Cherry!  :lol:

Thanks for sharing Hank - I had a great laugh even though I don't know him. :D  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Wow I've never heard of this guy, but what the heck is up with that shirt he's wearing?

No-Neck Cherry!  :lol:

Thanks for sharing Hank - I had a great laugh even though I don't know him. :D  

Google Don Cherry's suits. You aint seen nothing yet. Don was a Canadian hockey icon. Now, he's kinda like your (loud) drunk opinionated uncle at thanksgiving. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Now, he's kinda like your (loud) drunk opinionated uncle at thanksgiving. 

You mean the politics section here?

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Google Don Cherry's suits. You aint seen nothing yet. Don was a Canadian hockey icon.

LOL you're not wrong! He's super flambuoyant with his taste in colours that's for sure..... :lol:

42 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Now, he's kinda like your (loud) drunk opinionated uncle at thanksgiving. 

Hmm.  Probably a good thing we don't have Thanksgiving here then.  We have nothing to be thankful for.  We were convicts ya know :P 

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

You mean the politics section here?

Pulleeez...it's like a bunch of angels in there.  What are you on about! :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Google Don Cherry's suits. You aint seen nothing yet. Don was a Canadian hockey icon. Now, he's kinda like your (loud) drunk opinionated uncle at thanksgiving. 

There was a time when more people watched his segment than the actual hockey game, but still, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. The Globe & Mail described him as more a 'relic' than an 'icon' and I would have to agree. I have to admit though that I laughed when he called French Canadians 'whiners'. I'm originally from Montreal, so I would know. But I don't agree that that no one in downtown Toronto wore a poppy. It was a sea of poppies around here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/12/2019 at 4:55 AM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

There was a time when more people watched his segment than the actual hockey game, but still, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. The Globe & Mail described him as more a 'relic' than an 'icon' and I would have to agree. I have to admit though that I laughed when he called French Canadians 'whiners'. I'm originally from Montreal, so I would know. But I don't agree that that no one in downtown Toronto wore a poppy. It was a sea of poppies around here.

I know. That is why his words hurt. Everyone at my company had a poppy and it is a mixture of people of all backgrounds.

I liked Don. 21 years ago when I came to Canada, he was the first one who stood out on TV and it stuck with me.

Like the majority of new immigrants I did not wear a poppy for the first few years. That is normal because it needs time to realise that the poppy is "ours" not "theirs".

Now, I put the poppy on as soon as it is on my Timmis desk.

I still think firing Don was a mistake. He did not choose his words well but at the end we all sometimes mean something else and say it in the wrong way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, odas said:

I know. That is why his words hurt. Everyone at my company had a poppy and it is a mixture of people of all backgrounds.

I liked Don. 21 years ago when I came to Canada, he was the first one who stood out on TV and it stuck with me.

Like the majority of new immigrants I did not wear a poppy for the first few years. That is normal because it needs time to realise that the poppy is "ours" not "theirs".

Now, I put the poppy on as soon as it is on my Timmis desk.

I still think firing Don was a mistake. He did not choose his words well but at the end we all sometimes mean something else and say it in the wrong way.

Had Don apologised, all would probably have been forgiven. But he is a known bigot and sexist, among other things, and I am surprised he was allowed a bully pulpit for so many years. He should have just stuck to hockey, even though his comments on that subject were also controversial as he often bemoaned the fact that fights were no longer permitted. The CBC did nothing because his ratings were so high, but they can't protect him anymore. His firing was purely a business decision.