Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sanders Announces Plans to Break Up Homeland

ExpandMyMind

ne of the top 2020 Democratic presidential contenders has unveiled plans in recent days to overhaul two of the three largest federal agencies, promising to siphon off major components of one while dramatically expanding the other. 

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., on Friday released a proposal to break up the Homeland Security Department by sending many of its core functions to other agencies. Sanders called DHS a “bureaucratic behemoth” that has lost a “clearly defined mission.” To tackle the “bloat,” Sanders suggested moving many of the department’s component agencies. 

Deportation and immigration enforcement responsibilities, currently the primary function of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, would move over to the Justice Department. They would be joined there by border personnel, currently a part of Customs and Border Protection. CBP’s customs authority would transfer to the Treasury Department. Naturalization and citizenship programs, currently the responsibility of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, would shift to the State Department. Prior to the creation of DHS in 2003, many of the functions Sanders would relocate fell under the Immigration and Naturalization Service within the Justice Department.

---------------------

To coincide with Veterans Day, Sanders on Monday unveiled his plan to overhaul the Veterans Affairs Department. Sanders formerly served as the chairman and later ranking member of the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, and co-authored the 2014 Veterans Choice Act that significantly expanded veterans access to private care. Passed in the wake of a national scandal involving secret lists to obscure how long veterans waited for VA services, the law also made it easier—temporarily, until the provision was struck down in court—to fire the department’s Senior Executive Service employees.  In announcing the new plan, the Sanders campaign highlighted the senator’s role in passing the reform as it secured funding for new facilities and staffing, without mentioning the expansion of private care or the new firing authorities. 

Instead, Sanders promised not to “dismantle or privatize the VA,” and highlighted his opposition to the 2018 VA Mission Act that Trump signed into law last year. That law consolidated various “community care” programs and made it easier for some veterans to receive private health care on the government’s dime. While the Trump administration has repeatedly pushed back on the notion that it is trying to privatize the department by highlighting the growing number of veterans going to government-run facilities and the high marks those centers receive, Sanders blasted the Mission Act as a thinly veiled privatization effort that is “leading to a massive budget shortfall in every region in the country.” 

https://www.govexec.com/management/2019/11/bernie-sanders-announces-plans-break-homeland-security-dept-and-expand-va/161218/

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

Bernie (everything is free) Sanders is worried about budgets.

Old fool needs to retire and spend all that taxpayer money that made him wealthy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Smaller government is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Ah yes, the first of many Trump is Bad threads to be posted today. I think I'll wait for the 3rd sequel before posting.

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Bernie (everything is free) Sanders is worried about budgets.

Old fool needs to retire and spend all that taxpayer money that made him wealthy.

I thought US conservatives like the idea of smaller government?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Ah yes, the first of many Trump is Bad threads to be posted today. I think I'll wait for the 3rd sequel before posting.

The thread really has nothing to do with Trump. I mean I'm sure he'll take credit for creating DHS if you ask but really he didn't :lol:

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The thread really has nothing to do with Trump. I mean I'm sure he'll take credit for creating DHS if you ask but really he didn't :lol:

I guess he isn't even reading them anymore.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Bernie Sanders and smaller government? :lol: :rolleyes: :blink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Ahaha. They like the idea of smaller government help for the minorities and the poor. For everyone else they like free handouts and bail outs and expanded surveillance...but only if it comes from a fellow conservative. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All I ever see the so called conservatives conserving is the wealth of the wealthiest.    At OUR expense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1