Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bushfire victims "most likely voted Green"

Eldorado

"Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce has suggested two people who died in the NSW bushfires "most likely" voted for the Greens as he blamed the minor party for increasing the threat of bushfires.

"Mr Joyce made the comment on Sky News on Tuesday as he doubled-down on his claims that the fire service had conducted insufficient hazard reduction burns as a result of Greens opposition."

Full report at SBS (Aus): https://www.sbs.com.au/news/barnaby-joyce-says-nsw-bushfire-dead-most-likely-voted-for-the-greens

"Mr Joyce made the comments as he sought to attack Greens politicians for what he said was a failure to support hazard-reduction burning during winter."

Full monty at ABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/barnaby-joyce-greens-council-bushfire-victims/11696654

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's petty, even if it turns out to be true.  Damn...

• Like 4

Ahh yes, the government of “we will not politicise this disaster by talking about climate change” (c.f. Prime Minister ScuMo) always happy to have a dig at what is the most minor of minor parties in the country (as in, they have one seat in the House of Representatives and perhaps two in the Senate).

• Like 2

I've seen some pictures of these fires and they are just terrible. I feel so sorry for the people involved. I hope our UM members are out of harm's way and are ok. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 8:07 AM, susieice said:

I've seen some pictures of these fires and they are just terrible. I feel so sorry for the people involved. I hope our UM members are out of harm's way and are ok. 

The whole eastern seaboard is “in harm’s way” it’s tinder dry everywhere. One flicked durrie and there’ll be another bushfire. Two majors fires have been proven to have started with someone doing the prick-flick from their car.

• Thanks 1

I hope things are improving for you folks that reside over there. Some good news on the story.

Koala-sniffing dogs are on a mission to save animals from Australia's bush fires

Dogs who have been trained to find and save koalas in the wild are helping to rescue the animals in Australia's devastating bush fires. Bear, a border collie-koolie cross, is a detection dog who sniffs out live koalas during search and rescue operations in New South Wales' Northern Rivers region, according to the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). "IFAW specifically sponsors koala detection dog Bear, but there are other dogs which the University of the Sunshine Coast in Queensland works with, some of which are trained to sniff for koala droppings, whereas Bear is trained to sniff out koala fur and identify where there are live koalas," IFAW spokeswoman Clare Sterling told CNN.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/19/world/koala-sniffing-dogs-australia-bushfires-intl-scli/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 6:39 AM, Eldorado said:

"Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce has suggested two people who died in the NSW bushfires "most likely" voted for the Greens as he blamed the minor party for increasing the threat of bushfires.

"Mr Joyce made the comment on Sky News on Tuesday as he doubled-down on his claims that the fire service had conducted insufficient hazard reduction burns as a result of Greens opposition."

Full report at SBS (Aus): https://www.sbs.com.au/news/barnaby-joyce-says-nsw-bushfire-dead-most-likely-voted-for-the-greens

"Mr Joyce made the comments as he sought to attack Greens politicians for what he said was a failure to support hazard-reduction burning during winter."

Full monty at ABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/barnaby-joyce-greens-council-bushfire-victims/11696654

Yes, l don't agree with his Greens died remark, but he is right about the Greens/Labor using useless computer models, and creating the biggest tinderbox possible.

Why, mainly so the Greens can give whatever a home in the dead logs, at least til we have a fire, then they are gone, typical Green thinking.

Edited by tmcom

I vote Green, I also acknowledge the fact the Greens have as much ****ing impact politically as a lift in a one story house. 
Blaming the Greens for any policy poutside of Tasmania is 100% blame shifting. On a federal level, Blaming anyone other than the Coalition is 100% blame shifting - they’ve been in power for a decade now, that is more than enough time to change any policy they “know” to be harmful, so if they didn’t change the policy then they need to wear it. 

• Like 1