Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Meidum Pyramid Mystery

Hanslune

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I wondered about that. I think it is. 

Yes it's a possibility - will wait for the April report in earnest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More information on Meidum and its satellites:

https://www.academia.edu/35254140/The_satellite_pyramid_of_Meidum_and_the_problem_of_the_pyramids_attributed_to_Snefru_JAEA_3_2018_p._1-23?email_work_card=thumbnail

14-ead090106f.jpg

image.thumb.png.f0162607dc970811d81d76b8d0546725.png

10-642e4ec150.jpg

11-65bd87aa60.jpg

19-f756ea85df.jpg

21-29554dca27.jpg

Conclusion (from the pdf article):

In this gigantic puzzle of evidence relating to the funerary domains of Snefru, there are many remaining questions to be answered.

Any conclusions drawn are founded on assumptions, but these limitations do not negate the existence of some solid facts. It is now established that Snefru initiated the two pyramid projects at Dahshur. Numerous indications suggest that he also built the Meidum pyramid. He certainly completed the Meidum pyramid, and there is a lack of evidence to say that Huni erected the first stages of that monument. Contrary to widespread opinion, it was quite possible for Snefru to build all three giant projects at Meidum and Dahshur. If one can accept that Khufu completed his huge funerary complex in around 27 years, there is nothing to say that Snefru could not complete his three pyramids in forty years, following a similar system of quarrying, transport, and installation of stone blocks. 

The symbolic hypothesis made by others concerning a supposed duality observed in the architecture at Dahshur (the two-part shape of the Bent pyramid, the two pyramids on the site) is contradicted in the first instance by a structural analysis of the Bent pyramid, which suffered many small subsidence events during its construction, and underwent many modifications as a result;  and secondly by the chronological sequence of the construction of the two buildings. If the original intention had been to create a bipartite domain at Dahshur, it is likely that the two monuments would have been erected simultaneously and not successively. Moreover, there is absolutely no textual or iconographic evidence that supports such a hypothesis. This does not, however, mean that the two monuments did not eventually constitute a coherent whole in the eyes of the Egyptians, and the choice of the second site did not mean the total abandonment of the first. The earlier monument had been consecrated by the foundation rituals, and it was undoubtedly still considered an effective part of a funerary domain that was becoming more and more extensive.

A similar sequence of events was most likely followed when the construction site was transferred from Meidum to Dahshur-South.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Any conclusions drawn are founded on assumptions, but these limitations do not negate the existence of some solid facts. It is now established that Snefru initiated the two pyramid projects at Dahshur. Numerous indications suggest that he also built the Meidum pyramid. He certainly completed the Meidum pyramid, and there is a lack of evidence to say that Huni erected the first stages of that monument. Contrary to widespread opinion, it was quite possible for Snefru to build all three giant projects at Meidum and Dahshur. If one can accept that Khufu completed his huge funerary complex in around 27 years, there is nothing to say that Snefru could not complete his three pyramids in forty years, following a similar system of quarrying, transport, and installation of stone blocks. 

Quoting myself from multiple posts here: 

"Sneferu did not use the accretion method for either the BP or RP and despite numerous graffiti found at the Medium site related to the construction of the outer layer, not one mentions Sneferu and the relation to him is by later inference from the 18th Dynasty and not contemporary". 

and:

"...there are no cartouches or even serekhs and makes no mention of any pharaoh otherwise.....Nefermaat I is said to likely be the son of Snefru, and half brother of Khufu, yet this is claimed for no other reason than because his mastaba is near the pyramid of Meidum which they also say was built by Sneferu. Otherwise the mastaba itself is anonymous as to the reign of the pharaoh in which Nefermaat I lived."

And, if anyone reads this link The Mastabas of Meidum- A New Perspective this applies to M6 and Rahotep and Nofret as well.  

And:

"This OK workshop was found at the base of E3, the true pyramid layer, in which dozens of blocks were found with graffiti and cattle counts most ranging from the 15th-17th count, none earlier, meaning, if a 2yr application is accurate, the 30th and 34th years of the pharaoh's reign as each count is understood to be a 2yr period. Unfortunately, as far as we know as not all the graffiti found has been published, is otherwise anonymous. Sneferu is credited with building, perhaps finishing Meidum, yet no quarry marks bear his name nor is his name found at the workshop. Also, there were some 3,000 blocks found in this workshop area which is implied were left there unused. Regardless, according to Reader: 

It is also noteworthy that whilst a number of well-attested examples of quarry marks from Dashur have been found to contain Snefru’s cartouche, Snefru’s name does not appear on any of the quarry marks found at Meidum.
 After completing a detailed assessment of quarry marks from Meidum, Paule Posener-Kriéger, concluded that “Despite some similarities between the graffiti of Dashur-North and Meidum … the identical signs do not appear with sufficient frequency.”

Whatever inscriptions there are of Sneferu are found at the small chapel abutting the E3 layer and were written in the MK and later, otherwise there is nothing contemporary to link Sneferu to Meidum. Also, according to Stadelmann the only quarry marks found are associated with phase E3, something I find quite telling.  

All things considered, I think it is possible that the Medium true pyramid conversion was never fully completed and is not in the state it is in today because the rest of it "collapsed", but rather because it collapsed at some point during this conversion and the project abandoned.

• Like 4

More information on Meidum

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/49509860/2016_Reader_JARCE_Meidum.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3B filename%3DThe_Meidum_Pyramid.pdf&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A%2F20191117%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20191117T202633Z&X-Amz-Expires=3600&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=063c63352136207497ebe019508dbe055a1586f7d98e612416840446b383eff8

The Meidum Pyramid by Colin Reader

Abstract

Located more than 70 km south of Cairo, the Meidum pyramid is noteworthy because of its square, tower-like shape and the difficulties associated with its attribution. Drawing from previously published material together with the author’s own observations from the site, the following paper will explore these two issues in order to reexamine the origins of this structure.

image.png.157095e1b05697f68e87087d976c4775.png

Who Built the Meidum Pyramid?The current consensus within Egyptology appears to be that the Meidum pyramid was entirely the work of Snefru, the founder of the Fourth Dynasty. Colin Reader then goes on for a few pages starting at 214 in the PDF

• Like 2

On 11/17/2019 at 5:20 AM, Hanslune said:

"Another significant point raised by the Italian architects was the unusual proximity of the satellite pyramid to the main pyramid of less than 5 m. Again I share their opinion when they dated the satellite pyramid’s construction to before the so-called ‘E3’ stage of the main pyramid’s construction, that is to say shortly after or during one of the first two stages which are known as ‘E1’ and ‘E2’".

8-655f9dd816.jpg

• Like 4

Quoting myself:

1st/2nd Dynasty:
1stdynsaqqara3.jpg
8635692826_1a3a340035.jpg

Mastabas of Meidum:
panorama.jpg
meidum%20mastaba%20of%20rahotep%20and%20

Mastabas of Giza:
Western Field

giza-mastaba01.jpg
480px-Mastabas-est-kh%C3%A9ops.jpg
5823363107c45fcd31bc26945c4467a6.jpg

Ect, ect. 

Are we really to believe these were made not only in the same era, but from one pharaoh to the next?  

Searching for 3rd Dynasty mastabas has curiously born little fruit.

Mud brick Mastaba attributed to Hesy-Ra, vizier of Djoser:
640px-Saqqara_BW_17.jpg
Large photo
Plan of Hesy-Ra's mastaba which does not include a palace facade exterior:
640px-Mastaba_of_Hesy-Ra.jpg

Though there is a curious palace facade corridor: 
md_PE-SaqqaraHesy2.jpg
(photo Quibel 1914, p7)

Quote:

"Hesyra is one of the few great dignitaries of the 3rd Dynasty of whom we have some piece of information....

For now [we'll] deal with the historical period in which Hesyra lived, the century that covers the end of the II nd dynasty to the end of the III rd - beginning of the IVth.
The dignitaries, known by their statues (Bedjimes/ Ankhwa, Sepa) or by mastabas and reliefs (Khaibawsokar,Akhetaa), seem to be dated not before the first half of the III rd dyn. if not later to Huni or Snofru (like Sepa). Maybe they were born during the reign of Djoser or perhaps the one of Khasekhemwy but their tombs and artworks bear the mark of the late Dyn. III style....

Many many uncertainties exist for what concerns the pharaohs of the III rd dyn. and their succession order."

Searching through all of the possible mastabas of Saqqara that may be 3rd Dynasty I can find none that are palace facade, if specifically not, and most do not appear to even be mastabas just "tombs" of some sort of which I can find virtually no information about them. Quite strange. 

This leads me to a field of 5 mastabas at Beit Khallaf north of Abydos which is also attributed to the 3rd Dynasty. Of note are the massive mastabas K1, which ironically was also suggested by early Egyptologists to be the intended tomb of Djoser, and K2 attributed to the 3rd Dynasty pharaoh Sanakht of which little is known and this name is not found on any kings list. Some suggest he was the 1st pharaoh of the 3rd Dynasty, some say he ruled towards the end of the 3rd Dynasty (the dominant view), which regardless obviously no one has a clue who he really was or when he ruled though as I noted HERE the presence of a cartouche with his name puts him at least at the end of the 3rd. 

K1:
mmastab6.jpg
Photos 

K2:
pic_2.jpg

I can find no relevant information on the other 3 mastabas found there though seal impressions of Netjerikhet (Djoser) have been found inside on I assume vessels of some sort. A large cache of alabaster vases were found strewn about the stairway in K1 which again bore the seal of "Netjerikhet", the name of the pharaoh found in the stepped pyramid of Saqqara, who is equated to Djoser, which if anyone cares I have expressed doubt about this connection HERE.. K2 is attributed to Sanakht because of this seal impression:
HERE

Regardless, though it would appear the 3rd Dynasty was present at Beit Khallaf, whether the mastabas were built at this time is inconclusive. If so, why on earth would Djoser pick a previously barren location in the middle of nowhere for a new cemetery all the while building at Saqqara with no intention of being buried at Beit Khallaf nor would it makes sense to bury his family there either? K1 is even larger than M17 at Meidum and from what I can tell is the largest mastaba ever built in Egypt. More questions than answers....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Thanos5150 said:

More questions than answers....

Yes Professor Boggs in my first first University class in Anthro 200 in September 1972 said the same thing. The more you know about a society based on archaeology the MORE questions it raises. It gets worse if the sods wrote stuff down.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

The more you know about a society based on archaeology the MORE questions it raises. 

Especially if you have a different linguistic and cultural view. 

The most insightful archaeologists I ever knew was Mike and Kathy Gear. They were the only 2 I knew that could get into a Indian's mind without actually speaking a Native North American language. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Piney said:

Especially if you have a different linguistic and cultural view. 

The most insightful archaeologists I ever knew was Mike and Kathy Gear. They were the only 2 I knew that could get into a Indian's mind without actually speaking a Native North American language. 

You would like him:

https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/34231

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

You would like him:

I do already. :yes: The Hawaiians are part of the Indigenous Congress and I'm familiar with the filthy crap Dole and the Mormons pulled, and are still pulling off. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 3:23 PM, Hanslune said:

main-qimg-872c641c78f3654b91b20b43262ac2

On 11/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Kenemet said:

We should also place this in time (before we get into a huge misunderstanding)

DJOSER'S PYRAMID (step pyramid, first one in the world)

Sekhemkhet 2648-2640 BC

SNEFERU'S PYRAMIDS (son of Djoser) 2686 – 2667 BC

1.  Medium pyramid (this one - second true pyramid)
  2. Bent pyramid (built after Medium and changed partway through, third true pyramid)
  3. Red pyramid (complete pyramid, first stable true pyramid)

GIZA: 

1. Khufu's pyramid (great pyramid) plus satellite pyramids 2575-2566 BC
  2. Khafre's pyramid plus satellite pyramids 2558–2532 BC
  3. Menkaure's pyramid plus satellite pyramids 2532-2503 BC

DJEFRE'S PYRAMID

(etcetera)

https://discoveringegypt.com/pyramids-temples-of-egypt/pyramids-of-giza/

(Pyramids are built like Clocks to Mark the Ages or an, Specific Age)

Like this, "1290 and 1335 of Daniel" = 2625 (Issac Newton) .........

Beginning ... 1404 B.C.  Halley's Comet - 1335 Years = 69 B.C. to 30 A.D. (Jesus Crucifixion) about 99 Years

Halley Comet Cycle 12 B.C. to 87 A.D. ... End

Or like this, "1260 and 1260" (2520 or William Miller) .......... Beginning ... 2061 Halley's Comet - 1260 - 1260 - 1260 = 1719 ... flip figures ... 1917 ... 7 Years from Halley's Comet 1910 ... and 144 Years from Fatima 1917 to Halley's Comet Cycle in 1986 to 2061, END

Theory

One Figure of "Seven" is the dominant feature for the hook that is the channel path that goes from the side of the pyramid to its position under the pyramid............."that figure of Seven" is important. (first pyamid "Medium", you have 99 years (to crucifixion) and 99 years (halley comet cycle around crucifixion) ... with (1 year difference from 99/100 God used with Abraham, substitute that "1Year" not for NO YEAR ZERO, if this is done from space or astronomy, we do not count that, but that "1Year" becomes "7" like for (70 A.D. Temple Destruction, or Halley Comet cycle that time ended in 7) .................... (like for the "khufu" pyramid, same thing figure of "7" only.

The Giza Pyramid is More Complicated, it does not have single reference, but here is just some thoughts on the subject (like you understand, the giza pyramid marks the ages people claim, like time to jesus or time to the of this world)

1515530474_pyramidinches1.jpg.1dd0912e2a2a4d25fb4f662c3c0181b3.jpg

(example only) (Giza Pyramid is more complicated internally, with its channels, so people say, "Pyramid Inches, as Prophecy in its Channels to Jesus Star of Bethlehem or to Halley's Comet or to End of this Creation")

However (think this way)

2300 B.C. (deluge) to 1404 B.C. (Halley Comet) (for 144,000 day for 1000 years) (Subterranean Pitt of Giza Section)

Joseph of Egypt (Primary) (a picture of Jesus)

12 B.C. (Halley Comet) to 30 A.D. (Crucifixion) (41 Years with no year zero for 144,000 a Day for 1000 Years (Queens Chamber)

Joseph the Father of Jesus or the Personality that Placed him into Tomb (Primary) (a picture of jesus)

1917 A.D. (Fatima) to 2061 A.D. (Halley's Comet) (144 Years for 144,000 day for 1000 years of 2Peter3:8) (Joseph in UNIFIED FIELD VALUE 12,000 for Joseph a picture of Jesus) (Kings Chamber)

(don't think there are any more "pyramid builders" living in this creation ............. i think the three wise men of this generation for halley's comet,l are dead because they used too much lethal force against Moses ............... don't worry, this is correct and acceptable)

Edited by nexilb

1 hour ago, nexilb said:

(don't think there are any more "pyramid builders" living in this creation ............. i think the three wise men of this generation for halley's comet,l are dead because they used too much lethal force against Moses ............... don't worry, this is correct and acceptable)

Wasn't worried to begin with.

And, it is neither.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Wasn't worried to begin with.

And, it is neither.

Harte

Take a look at the thread/possible Dadaist random word poem he started. 

—Jaylemurph 

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

I did take a look and must admit I'm only more confused. Such is my lot.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

It's a African American conspiridiot "mass comparison word salad". I see them and hear them all the time with a Moorish Science aunt. :mellow:

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's a African American conspiridiot "mass comparison word salad". I see them and hear them all the time with a Moorish Science aunt. :mellow:

I'll try to make sense of it after some whiskey or three tonight. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

I'll try to make sense of it after some whiskey or three tonight. 

Get yourself another bottle. :mellow:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

I've got a hangover, suddenly find myself in Brazil, and married. And still can't make sense of it. 

Well, his handle is "Blixen" backwards. Which means stoned out of your skull in hood speak. :mellow:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

I've got a hangover, suddenly find myself in Brazil, and married. And still can't make sense of it. 

....ah well, all in a days living however do you also have a tattoo of a British Marine on your buttocks? If so you might have drunk to much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

....ah well, all in a days living however do you also have a tattoo of a British Marine on your buttocks? If so you might have drunk to much.

Fun fact: British actor Jon Pertwee (third Doctor Who and Worzel Gummidge and The Navy Lark) got blackout drunk and woke up with a tattoo on his forearm. He never knew how he got it. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hanslune said:

A British marine? No. Not British. 

6 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Fun fact: British actor Jon Pertwee (third Doctor Who and Worzel Gummidge and The Navy Lark) got blackout drunk and woke up with a tattoo on his forearm. He never knew how he got it. 

—Jaylemurph 

They referenced it in an episode I believe. 

• Like 1