Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SCOTUS Allows Sandy Hook families to Sue

BrooklynGuy

Should We Have A National Background Check System That Includes Gun Shows and Longer Waiting Periods for Firearm Purchases?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Have A National Background Check System That Includes Gun Shows and Longer Waiting Periods for Firearm Purchases?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure, I need more details

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't like the M1 Garand as a hunting rifle, guess I'm a whimp but the dam things are to heavy. I do however like the M1 Carbine, its a great little 30 caliber rifle and it's not heavy.:yes:

Yeah I have a M1 Carbine too and I haft to admit I like it better, but I never used it or the Garand for hunting - I rather use my MAK-90 when hunting feral pigs ;). Anyway, those old semi-auto rifles were passed onto me from my father and I just keep them as family heirlooms/collector items and occasionally dust them off for target practice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Yeah I have a M1 Carbine too and I haft to admit I like it better, but I never used it or the Garand for hunting - I rather use my MAK-90 when hunting feral pigs ;). Anyway, those old semi-auto rifles were passed onto me from my father and I just keep them as family heirlooms/collector items and occasionally dust them off for target practice.

Yes they are great weapons, but like said the Carbine is my favorite. I bought one in 1978, and would not give it up for anything. I can't say I am familiar with your MAK-90 ,  but it obvious you have good taste in weapons.

Taje care

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

It seems ridiculous to allow people to sue the manufacturer.

Didn't all of this crap begin by the tobacco companies allowing people that ended up with cancer to sue them for big dollars?  To me, it just seems absurd to blame a manufacturer for a person's actions.  Sorry, just my opinion.  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm pretty speedy with my bolt Enfield and I used stripper clips. 

Ha, that's what I use exclusively. 1944 Enfield modified with a sporting stock. 4power Bushnell. All else is original. 150 gr. For deer, 180 gr. For bigger game. I've been using it for almost a half century. You? 

Regarding, the topic? Ya, this isn't going to end well. Baby steps. Anyone ever try to take an alcoholics bottle away from them? Same thing.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

So do firearms. It's been an Olympic sport since 1896.

I really think you missed the overall analogy.

.22, .177, possibly .17 calibers in bolt action hardly bolsters your statement. They are also so ridiculously altered that they would be practically useless for hunting.

6 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

So do firearms. It's been an Olympic sport since 1896.

I really think you missed the overall analogy.

Unless you're talking about a war hammer, it's a false analogy. Firearms are primary weapons, hammers are not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Number of murder victims in the United States in 2018, by weapon

Yet blunt objects which include hammers kill more people then rifles.

So?  Who said otherwise?  Your analogy is comparing a weapon to a tool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

.22, .177, possibly .17 calibers in bolt action hardly bolsters your statement. They are also so ridiculously altered that they would be practically useless for hunting.

Still qualify as ballistic weapons and still capable of injury and death.

21 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

So?  Who said otherwise?  Your analogy is comparing a weapon to a tool.

No my analogy is comparing manufacturers of hammers and rifles. If one can be accountable for the objects misuse then so can the other.

What would be next? A manufacturer getting sued because the plaintiff said the spoon made them fat?

• Like 1

I am not sure where suing the manufacturer can realistically end - the surprise was the SCOTUS allowing it.

That said given the make up of the SCOTUS I think they are pretty certain it will turn out to be a waste of time as far as the complainants are concerned and they (SCOTUS) can point to it as 'fake?' evidence of even handedness in their decision make.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

No my analogy is comparing manufacturers of hammers and rifles. If one can be accountable for the objects misuse then so can the other.

Fire arms aren't designed for killing?  You might want to find out what "misuse" means.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Fire arms aren't designed for killing?  You might want to find out what "misuse" means.

Using a firearm or a hammer to murder someone is misuse.

Poaching out of season with a rifle is misuse or bludgeoning kittens to death with a hammer is misuse.

Vandalizing traffic signs with a firearm or a hammer is misuse.

Killing someone because they are trying to kill you or your family either by using the firearm or the hammer is justified.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Using a firearm or a hammer to murder someone is misuse.

Half right, a hammer is designed to hammer nails, a fire arm is to kill.

Now if you used a fire arm to hammer in nails, that's misuse.

You're still trying to defend a fallacious analogy by misusing words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Killing someone because they are trying to kill you or your family either by using the firearm or the hammer is justified.

No, just no.  Killing someone or something with a tool designed for other purposes is misusing it.

Nail hammers are not designed for killing.

8 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

No, just no.  Killing someone or something with a tool designed for other purposes is misusing it.

Nail hammers are not designed for killing.

It's called self-defense anything will do. :blink:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Half right, a hammer is designed to hammer nails, a fire arm is to kill.

Now if you used a fire arm to hammer in nails, that's misuse.

You're still trying to defend a fallacious analogy by misusing words.

Oh for pity sake. Once again the analogy was if a gun manufacturer can be sued by someone using their product to kill someone then a hammer manufacturer could be sued for someone being killed by the use of their product.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

It's called self-defense anything will do. :blink:

This is called handwaving. Doesn't change the fact it is misusing the hammer.

Edited by Rlyeh

2 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Oh for pity sake. Once again the analogy was if a gun manufacturer can be sued by someone using their product to kill someone then a hammer manufacturer could be sued for someone being killed by the use of their product.

Yes I know, you presented a fallacious analogy comparing a weapons manufacturer to a tools manufacturer.

It's clear you don't comprehend the purpose of these products, or the word "misuse" for that matter.

But continue repeat your false analogy, it's sure to make it more valid.

Edited by Rlyeh

8 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Yes I know, you presented a fallacious analogy comparing a weapons manufacturer to a tools manufacturer.

It's clear you don't comprehend the purpose of these products, or the word "misuse" for that matter.

But continue repeat your false analogy, it's sure to make it more valid.

Your kinda dense there son.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Your kinda dense there son.

There is nothing 'kinda' of about you sunshine.

I don't necessarily agree with suing a guns manufacture for crimes committed by others, but the hammer analogy is completely asinine.  A firearm is officially a weapon, a hammer isn't.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

A firearm is officially a weapon, a hammer isn't.

And what is that definition of what is "officially a weapon"?  If you get killed with a hammer, that's pretty official.  A weapon is only limited by the creativity of the individual.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

And what is that definition of what is "officially a weapon"?  If you get killed with a hammer, that's pretty official.  A weapon is only limited by the creativity of the individual.

Design. If we followed your logic a car is only a vehicle if used as one.