Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SCOTUS Allows Sandy Hook families to Sue

BrooklynGuy

Should We Have A National Background Check System That Includes Gun Shows and Longer Waiting Periods for Firearm Purchases?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Have A National Background Check System That Includes Gun Shows and Longer Waiting Periods for Firearm Purchases?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure, I need more details

16 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

No, you completely missed the logic.

No, I answered your question.  You didn't like the answer.

8 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Ha, that's what I use exclusively. 1944 Enfield modified with a sporting stock. 4power Bushnell. All else is original. 150 gr. For deer, 180 gr. For bigger game. I've been using it for almost a half century. You? 

160g core locks on everything. I used a bow for deer. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Piney said:

A AR-15 serves 3 purposes. Military, law enforcement and people with penis issues. It was made to kill people with.

A bolt action works just fine for target shooting and hunting. 

I would add killing hogs to that list.  Wild hogs are getting to be a major problem in many parts of the country and an AR-15 or AK-47 is the perfect weapon for them.

Doug

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

I would add killing hogs to that list.  Wild hogs are getting to be a major problem in many parts of the country and an AR-15 or AK-47 is the perfect weapon for them.

Doug

Nah that's too much firepower, you don't want to damage the meat or have too much schrapnel with your bacon. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Nah that's too much firepower, you don't want to damage the meat or have too much schrapnel with your bacon. 

there is no such things as too much firepower when dealing with hogs,  i'd say 223, and 7,62x39 are not the ideal rounds for that,  308 and up is,  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

what io find interesting is that they use video games as a reason to go after Remington,  that would open floodgates for for suing other game manufacturers as well, if Remington is found liable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Wild hogs are the most common source of trichinosis in the US.  You'd better be sure that meat is well cooked.  Besides, hog hunters tell me that it's so strong they have trouble eating it.

Doug

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Wild hogs are the most common source of trichinosis in the US.  You'd better be sure that meat is well cooked.  Besides, hog hunters tell me that it's so strong they have trouble eating it.

Doug

Thanks, I don't hunt and have never had wild hog meat and I gave up fishing when I was 6 after my sister hooked me on the top of my head when she casting for Bass. My Mother always used to say the same thing when she was cooking up the Italian Sausage and peppers for dinner and us kids were badgering her to hurrry up because we hadn't eaten in an hour. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Thanks, I don't hunt and have never had wild hog meat and I gave up fishing when I was 6 after my sister hooked me on the top of my head when she casting for Bass. My Mother always used to say the same thing when she was cooking up the Italian Sausage and peppers for dinner and us kids were badgering her to hurrry up because we hadn't eaten in an hour. 

One of my research sites was plagued by wild hogs.  One of my colleagues started going out on weekends hunting them.  The landowner was all for it and sometimes went with him.

One of our field training sites for new foresters is riddled with hog tails.  I keep wondering what is going to happen if we have some students run into a herd of them.

Doug

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aztek said:

what io find interesting is that they use video games as a reason to go after Remington,  that would open floodgates for for suing other game manufacturers as well, if Remington is found liable. 

It's rare to see a big company put in this position. The precedence it sets could be useful

16 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm pretty speedy with my bolt Enfield and I used stripper clips. 

On the rare occasions that I hunt, I use a .308 bolt gun.  The AR is for fun and basically because no DAMNED BODY has the right to tell me I can't ;)  I did service rifle competition for a few years with a tricked out Stainless Krieger barrel on the black rifle and could hit easily at 600 yds with iron sights (prone), using my own loads.  It was a blast and I wish my eyesight was good enough to continue it.  

The real issue with this move by SCOTUS is the precedent that when lazy, careless, or stupid, vicious people misuse a product, the manufacturer may increasingly be held liable.  Lanza's parents were the problem with him, not Remington firearms.  Literally, the only reason he had access to a Remington instead of a Colt or some other brand was a choice made by his mommy.  But if this is where the Left wants to go then so be it.  They're too damned gutless to to just demand confiscation so they'll try to build on precedent and chip away.  Missouri has the answer and I've already started hounding my State Representatives about crafting something similar for Alabama.

Those in the Progressive camp have been pushing relentlessly for more and more lax enforcement of law in pursuit of personal freedom.  THIS is where it took us and I'll be damned if they make me a scapegoat for their choices.  Screw them.  They need to suck it up and deal with what they've created.  It's a mean old world.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

It's rare to see a big company put in this position. The precedence it sets could be useful

yea,  video games makers better send their lawyers to defend Remington, if R. loses they are next,  

There was a Federal firearms ban on these types of weapons that Congress themselves let expire. Good luck in court trying to sue these manufacturers. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

It seems ridiculous to allow people to sue the manufacturer.

Says every opioid exec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

There was a Federal firearms ban on these types of weapons that Congress themselves let expire. Good luck in court trying to sue these manufacturers. 

Well, the lawsuit is proceeding.  Maybe it's just a desperate attempt to keep this from happening again.  But right now, that's all we've got.  Congress isn't doing anything.  They're too afraid the NRA will use some of that Russian money to throw them out of office.  That's plenty of reason to fear for the future of the country.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Says every opioid exec.

I’m not an opioid exec and I’m saying it too.

• Like 3

in that case every person who was arrested and who was beaten, or held down with a flashlight by a cop, needs to sue flashlight manufacturer,  their product was misused, and physically hurt them 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

in that case every person who was arrested and who was beaten, or held down with a flashlight by a cop, needs to sue flashlight manufacturer,  their product was misused, and physically hurt them 

Not really.  They are suing on the advertising.  The fact that it was being advertised as a weapon to kill...not to protect or hunt.  Using taglines such as..

"Forces of opposition, bow down" was another marketing tag line for the particularly lethal weapon, as was "consider your man card reissued."

If that flashlight had an advertisement that said something like "the perfect skullcracker", according to the law, there would absolutely be grounds to be sued. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lawyer-gun-maker-not-blame-sandy-hook-ar-15-ads-article-1.3632565

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

No, I answered your question.  You didn't like the answer.

Me liking it or not is irrelevant.  It is completely as expected.  Devoid of logic.  I'm actually tickled pink because you didn't disappoint.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Me liking it or not is irrelevant.  It is completely as expected.  Devoid of logic.  I'm actually tickled pink because you didn't disappoint.

You couldn't work out that firearms are designed as weapons.  Clueless as always.

11 hours ago, Agent0range said:

Says every opioid exec.

Well, if you can sue the manufacture for items they produce and sell, then you have to sue the Government because they allow those items to be sold. 

You see it's really all the Governments fault. Their the evil ones taking the kick backs from lobbyists who pay them to allow those items to be sold, like the NRA.

You know it really sucks that Government officials can pass bills and do favors for lobbyists to get campaign donations, that's what really should be stopped, this is the root of all evil in Washington D.C.:angry:;)

JIMO

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 8:28 PM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Oh for pity sake. Once again the analogy was if a gun manufacturer can be sued by someone using their product to kill someone then a hammer manufacturer could be sued for someone being killed by the use of their product.

Maybe a more appropriate analogy and precedent would be the book Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 11:32 PM, RavenHawk said:

And what is that definition of what is "officially a weapon"?  If you get killed with a hammer, that's pretty official.  A weapon is only limited by the creativity of the individual.

Classification under the "Brussels Tariff" is a good start.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2019 at 2:02 AM, Doug1029 said:

Doug

The guys who do it by hand say they are more humane.