Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Desertrat56

Letters from Deb Haaland

Piney

About effen time...... 

• Like 7

Desertrat56

Here is the one I got today.  It is about an EPA issue that we all need to know about.  See also, Letters from Tom Udall,  he has more details in his letter.

November 13, 2019

Thank you for reaching out to me regarding pesticides. I appreciate you taking the time to write and helping me serve as your representative.

Pesticides play a major role in the interconnected issues of wildlife conservation, food production, and human health. If used without caution, pesticides may destroy insect populations that are often the bedrock of fragile ecosystems and harm the people who work on the farms where they are used. We must practice environmentally friendly farming techniques to maintain food production while avoiding harming innocent farmworkers who are too often members of underrepresented communities.

President Donald Trump filled the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) with industry insiders that have financial interests in weakening the EPA’s mission. In 2017, then-EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt met with a pesticide manufacturer for 25 minutes to discuss an Obama-era ban on the pesticide Chlorpyrifos and then promptly reversed the ban. Chlorpyrifos, which is in the same family as Sarin nerve gas, can overstimulate the nervous system and cause nausea, dizziness, and confusion. At very high exposures , respiratory paralysis and even death can occur, and prenatal exposure has been linked to autism. In August 2018, a three judge panel directed the EPA to ban Chlorpyrifos within 60 days, but on February 13, 2019, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals announced the full court would rehear the case. We can't take the risk that the courts will allow the continued use of Chlorpyrifos. I am proud to be a cosponsor of H.R. 230, the Ban Toxic Pesticides Act which would permanently ban the use of this harmful chemical.

As New Mexicans, we know the importance of New Mexico's natural beauty and resources are our way of life. We must honor the land we are given and care for it so future generations can enjoy it. I will oppose any of their attempts to eliminate regulations that help keep New Mexicans healthy. Please rest assured that I will continue to fight for environmental justice and support safe farming techniques.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important subject. Please contact me again in the future as Congress debates issues that we all care about.

If you are interested in following my work for you more closely, please sign up for my newsletter here . You can also follow me @RepDebHaaland on Twitter , Facebook , and Instagram . I look forward to working for you and hope to hear from you again in the future.

Sincerely,
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fiqconnect.lmhoste
Deb Haaland
Member of Congress

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Desertrat56

I had to look up which congress people I am not getting letters from, since I do get letters from both senators.  The congressional representatives are by area, Xochitl Torres Small represents the southern half of the state, Deb Haaland the cneter of the state (literally the center where all the population is) and Ben Ray Lujan for the norther part of the state.

Desertrat56

November 25, 2019

Today is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. Congress passed the first Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) in 1994 to protect women. Congress has come together on a bipartisan basis to reauthorize VAWA three times and reaffirm support for all survivors and improve programs, such as the 2013 reauthorization that explicitly included protections for survivors of same-sex partner violence and Native Americans abused by non-Natives.

Under the leadership of Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, then-Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, and President Donald Trump, VAWA expired. Under new leadership, the House of Representatives moved swiftly to pass the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2019, and included two of my amendments that will improve protections for Native American women. This vital legislation has been in the Senate for 235 days without action. The time has come for the Senate to pass the VAWA Reauthorization and stand with survivors.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

Edited by Desertrat56

Desertrat56

December 6, 2019

Climate change threatens our way of life, our national security, our health, and our future. International scientists and experts within our own government paint a grave picture of the future if we do not act. Our military recognizes climate change as a threat to our national security and as an obstacle to accomplishing its missions. As our planet continues to warm, extreme weather events such as those that devastated Houston, Florida, and Puerto Rico will become more common. We will see more humanitarian disasters at home and abroad, leading to needless suffering and global instability.

The world came together under President Barack Obama's leadership to sign the Paris Climate Agreement and begin the global work necessary to combat climate change. I was proud to join  with Democratic leadership in introducing H.R. 9, the Climate Action Now Act, a bill to keep the United States in the Paris Agreement, demand a real plan for addressing climate change from the Administration, and lay the foundation for further innovative, effective action from the Congress. President Trump’s decision to pull out of the Paris Agreement put the futures of our kids at risk. I was proud to vote for H.R. 9 to commit to working with the rest of the world to act on climate and secure a future of good paying jobs in a renewable energy economy.

In my first House Natural Resources Committee hearing as Chairwoman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands, I focused on the impact of climate change on public lands to highlight the need to act and explore policies to ensure we take into account changes that are already happening. In 2017, New Mexico grew its wind power capacity at the fastest rate of any state in the country and used it to supply 13.5% of its power that year. We already set an example on a green economy with our use of wind energy, so we should invest and expand our use of other renewable resources as well. With more than 300 days of sunlight each year, New Mexico is poised to be a leader in solar energy production, which has a ripple effect into solar production and energy transmission jobs. As the Vice Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, I will hold up New Mexico’s commitment to renewable energy as an example for the rest of the country and fight to enact nationwide policies to expand renewable energy use. Progressing towards 100 percent green energy will also provide New Mexico with good paying jobs to boost our economy.

In my position on the House Armed Services Committee, I am working to supplement our national security research mission so that the talented scientists and engineers at Sandia National Labs will spend more of their time exploring new technologies and science-based methods of combating climate change. I held a Green New Deal town hall in Albuquerque,  I am backing legislation such as the Green New Deal resolution (H.Res. 109) to support plans to reinvent our economy and energy system in a fair and just manner, and I have also backed a resolution noting that the climate change is the real national crisis that our country faces.

Finally, I will stand against corporations that continue to pollute our air and water. Too often corporations take advantage of poor and rural communities who lack the political power to fight back, putting their health at risk as the corporations ignore environmental regulations or work with a corrupt Trump Administration to ensure those regulations lack teeth. Environmental justice should be one of the foundations on which we build our climate solutions.

The science is clear: We must take action now against climate change. I believe protecting the environment and transitioning our country to green energy should be one of this Congress’s main priorities.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important subject. Please contact me again in the future as Congress debates issues that we all care about.

If you are interested in following my work for you more closely, please sign up for my newsletter here . You can also follow me @RepDebHaaland on Twitter , Facebook , and Instagram . I look forward to working for you and hope to hear from you again in the future.

Sincerely,
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fiqconnect.lmhoste
Deb Haaland
Member of Congress

• Thanks 1

Desertrat56

December 19, 2019

Hearings in the House of Representatives for the impeachment inquiry in President Trump have now come to a conclusion. Both Democratic and Republican witnesses have testified that the President allegedly abused his power to undermine our elections and harm our national security.

No president should be able to abuse the power entrusted to them by the people for his personal gain. However, as we've moved through the impeachment inquiry, the facts established by testimony under oath remain undisputed. According to witnesses, including officials appointed by the President and those selected by Republican members of the committee, the President allegedly betrayed his oath of office by putting our national security at risk by inviting a foreign government to interfere in our election and advance his political agenda.

Throughout the inquiry, the White House has not recognized the Congress's constitutionally imbued power of oversight. I believe this is an unprecedented attempt to obstruct Congress, as they have failed to honor subpoenas for documents and witnesses. Those who testified before the Intelligence Committee are patriots who put their country before their careers.

It brings me no joy, but we cannot allow any president to betray the oath of office and abuse their power. I proudly voted to impeach the President to defend our Constitution, but I want to hear from you.

it is a somber day in America when we must take such drastic actions in defense of the Constitution and democracy itself. Thank you so much for letting me know your thoughts on this important issue.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

Edited by Desertrat56