Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Letters from Deb Haaland

Desertrat56

Here is the one I got today.  It is about an EPA issue that we all need to know about.  See also, Letters from Tom Udall,  he has more details in his letter.

November 13, 2019

Thank you for reaching out to me regarding pesticides. I appreciate you taking the time to write and helping me serve as your representative.

Pesticides play a major role in the interconnected issues of wildlife conservation, food production, and human health. If used without caution, pesticides may destroy insect populations that are often the bedrock of fragile ecosystems and harm the people who work on the farms where they are used. We must practice environmentally friendly farming techniques to maintain food production while avoiding harming innocent farmworkers who are too often members of underrepresented communities.

President Donald Trump filled the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) with industry insiders that have financial interests in weakening the EPA’s mission. In 2017, then-EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt met with a pesticide manufacturer for 25 minutes to discuss an Obama-era ban on the pesticide Chlorpyrifos and then promptly reversed the ban. Chlorpyrifos, which is in the same family as Sarin nerve gas, can overstimulate the nervous system and cause nausea, dizziness, and confusion. At very high exposures , respiratory paralysis and even death can occur, and prenatal exposure has been linked to autism. In August 2018, a three judge panel directed the EPA to ban Chlorpyrifos within 60 days, but on February 13, 2019, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals announced the full court would rehear the case. We can't take the risk that the courts will allow the continued use of Chlorpyrifos. I am proud to be a cosponsor of H.R. 230, the Ban Toxic Pesticides Act which would permanently ban the use of this harmful chemical.

As New Mexicans, we know the importance of New Mexico's natural beauty and resources are our way of life. We must honor the land we are given and care for it so future generations can enjoy it. I will oppose any of their attempts to eliminate regulations that help keep New Mexicans healthy. Please rest assured that I will continue to fight for environmental justice and support safe farming techniques.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important subject. Please contact me again in the future as Congress debates issues that we all care about.

If you are interested in following my work for you more closely, please sign up for my newsletter here . You can also follow me @RepDebHaaland on Twitter , Facebook , and Instagram . I look forward to working for you and hope to hear from you again in the future.

Sincerely,
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fiqconnect.lmhoste
Deb Haaland
Member of Congress

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had to look up which congress people I am not getting letters from, since I do get letters from both senators.  The congressional representatives are by area, Xochitl Torres Small represents the southern half of the state, Deb Haaland the cneter of the state (literally the center where all the population is) and Ben Ray Lujan for the norther part of the state.

• Like 1

November 25, 2019

Today is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. Congress passed the first Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) in 1994 to protect women. Congress has come together on a bipartisan basis to reauthorize VAWA three times and reaffirm support for all survivors and improve programs, such as the 2013 reauthorization that explicitly included protections for survivors of same-sex partner violence and Native Americans abused by non-Natives.

Under the leadership of Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, then-Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, and President Donald Trump, VAWA expired. Under new leadership, the House of Representatives moved swiftly to pass the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2019, and included two of my amendments that will improve protections for Native American women. This vital legislation has been in the Senate for 235 days without action. The time has come for the Senate to pass the VAWA Reauthorization and stand with survivors.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

Edited by Desertrat56

• 2 weeks later...

December 6, 2019

Climate change threatens our way of life, our national security, our health, and our future. International scientists and experts within our own government paint a grave picture of the future if we do not act. Our military recognizes climate change as a threat to our national security and as an obstacle to accomplishing its missions. As our planet continues to warm, extreme weather events such as those that devastated Houston, Florida, and Puerto Rico will become more common. We will see more humanitarian disasters at home and abroad, leading to needless suffering and global instability.

The world came together under President Barack Obama's leadership to sign the Paris Climate Agreement and begin the global work necessary to combat climate change. I was proud to join  with Democratic leadership in introducing H.R. 9, the Climate Action Now Act, a bill to keep the United States in the Paris Agreement, demand a real plan for addressing climate change from the Administration, and lay the foundation for further innovative, effective action from the Congress. President Trump’s decision to pull out of the Paris Agreement put the futures of our kids at risk. I was proud to vote for H.R. 9 to commit to working with the rest of the world to act on climate and secure a future of good paying jobs in a renewable energy economy.

In my first House Natural Resources Committee hearing as Chairwoman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands, I focused on the impact of climate change on public lands to highlight the need to act and explore policies to ensure we take into account changes that are already happening. In 2017, New Mexico grew its wind power capacity at the fastest rate of any state in the country and used it to supply 13.5% of its power that year. We already set an example on a green economy with our use of wind energy, so we should invest and expand our use of other renewable resources as well. With more than 300 days of sunlight each year, New Mexico is poised to be a leader in solar energy production, which has a ripple effect into solar production and energy transmission jobs. As the Vice Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, I will hold up New Mexico’s commitment to renewable energy as an example for the rest of the country and fight to enact nationwide policies to expand renewable energy use. Progressing towards 100 percent green energy will also provide New Mexico with good paying jobs to boost our economy.

In my position on the House Armed Services Committee, I am working to supplement our national security research mission so that the talented scientists and engineers at Sandia National Labs will spend more of their time exploring new technologies and science-based methods of combating climate change. I held a Green New Deal town hall in Albuquerque,  I am backing legislation such as the Green New Deal resolution (H.Res. 109) to support plans to reinvent our economy and energy system in a fair and just manner, and I have also backed a resolution noting that the climate change is the real national crisis that our country faces.

Finally, I will stand against corporations that continue to pollute our air and water. Too often corporations take advantage of poor and rural communities who lack the political power to fight back, putting their health at risk as the corporations ignore environmental regulations or work with a corrupt Trump Administration to ensure those regulations lack teeth. Environmental justice should be one of the foundations on which we build our climate solutions.

The science is clear: We must take action now against climate change. I believe protecting the environment and transitioning our country to green energy should be one of this Congress’s main priorities.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important subject. Please contact me again in the future as Congress debates issues that we all care about.

If you are interested in following my work for you more closely, please sign up for my newsletter here . You can also follow me @RepDebHaaland on Twitter , Facebook , and Instagram . I look forward to working for you and hope to hear from you again in the future.

Sincerely,
Deb Haaland
Member of Congress

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

December 19, 2019

Hearings in the House of Representatives for the impeachment inquiry in President Trump have now come to a conclusion. Both Democratic and Republican witnesses have testified that the President allegedly abused his power to undermine our elections and harm our national security.

No president should be able to abuse the power entrusted to them by the people for his personal gain. However, as we've moved through the impeachment inquiry, the facts established by testimony under oath remain undisputed. According to witnesses, including officials appointed by the President and those selected by Republican members of the committee, the President allegedly betrayed his oath of office by putting our national security at risk by inviting a foreign government to interfere in our election and advance his political agenda.

Throughout the inquiry, the White House has not recognized the Congress's constitutionally imbued power of oversight. I believe this is an unprecedented attempt to obstruct Congress, as they have failed to honor subpoenas for documents and witnesses. Those who testified before the Intelligence Committee are patriots who put their country before their careers.

It brings me no joy, but we cannot allow any president to betray the oath of office and abuse their power. I proudly voted to impeach the President to defend our Constitution, but I want to hear from you.

it is a somber day in America when we must take such drastic actions in defense of the Constitution and democracy itself. Thank you so much for letting me know your thoughts on this important issue.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

Edited by Desertrat56

• 1 month later...

February 11, 2020

Last week, President Trump came before Congress and announced plans to defend Social Security and Medicare. With the release of his budget proposal this week, it is clear President Trump should have said he plans to defund Social Security and Medicare. The President's budget cuts more than half a trillion dollars from Social Security and Medicare- programs critical to people in our district.

In the middle of the coronavirus pandemic, President Trump wants to cut funding to the Department of Health and Human Services, including the Centers for Disease Control. While we should be fighting climate change and preserving our environment for future generations, President Trump seeks to cut the Environmental Protection Agency more than 25 percent. New Mexico faces a homelessness crisis and needs the support of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, which President Trump's budget cuts by 15 percent.

As the House of Representatives prepares a budget based on the realty that most Americans face and the challenges we must overcome, I want to hear from you. Help me advocate for a budget that works for the people by telling me your budget priorities for this year.

• Like 1

February 13, 2020

For the first time in almost three decades, we amended the U.S. Constitution. In 1972, Congress passed the Equal Rights Amendment, which proposed banning discrimination based on sex with the simple phrase, "Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on the account of sex." Since that passage, we've been waiting for 38 states to ratify the amendment. In January, Virginia became that 38th state.

Today, the House of Representatives passed H.J.Res. 79 paving the way for passage of this historic amendment and reaffirming Congress’ support for women’s equality. Thirty-eight states, including New Mexico, have agreed to put an end to discrimination by amending the Constitution and we should celebrate this momentous occasion and accept our 28th Amendment.

Unfortunately, the Department of Justice, under Attorney General William Barr, is arguing against the Equal Rights Amendment's ratification. Congress, not the Executive Branch, has authority over the amendment process, but now the Trump Administration is dragging the ratifying states into a prolonged battle over the Equal Rights Amendment. The passage of H.J.Res. 79 makes it clear where the House stands: the Equal Rights Amendment has been ratified and we will not tolerate discrimination based on sex.

I am proud to be from one of the first states in the country to add an Equal Rights Amendment to its state constitution. I cannot wait to say to every woman that I meet that they have the same protections in their state that New Mexico women have in ours. As the Vice Chair of the Democratic Women's caucus, I will continue to fight for policies that protect women's health, ensure equal pay, and empower women, because when women succeed, our communities are stronger, safer, and more prosperous.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

March 9, 2020

As news continues to pour in and new cases of the coronavirus appear, I want to take a moment and directly address this serious issue. The Centers for Disease Control considers the coronavirus to be a serious public health threat. I want to help keep you aware of the virus and the efforts necessary to prevent its spread as we prepare for its arrival in New Mexico. It is important to stay calm and protect ourselves with good hygiene, including frequently washing our hands .

Prevention  
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus. There are simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including: 

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Stay up to date on vaccinations, including the influenza vaccine.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.

If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, you should:

• Stay home except to get medical care
  • Call ahead before visiting your doctor
  • Wear a facemask
  • Cover your coughs and sneezes
  • Avoid sharing personal household items
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.

Symptoms
Coronavirus is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. If you have visited China, regions of Italy, South Korea, or Iran within the past two weeks and start to feel ill, call your doctor.

Facemasks
The CDC does not recommned that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus. Facemasks should only be used by people who show symptoms of coronavirus to help prevent the spread of disease to others if that person must go in public. Please do not stockpile facemasks if you feel well, medical centers may require these masks for patients in need.

Testing
The New Mexico Department of Health is currently offering the test for coronavirus at no cost, though your hospital may charge you a small collection fee. You should feel comfortable being tested and not fear exorbitant medical fees. When the private sector begins using the test, it will start to charge fees at rates we do not currently know.

Travel Warnings

As of today, CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China and South Korea. CDC also advises that older adults and those with chronic medical conditions consider postponing nonessential travel to Iran, Italy, and Japan. Travelers should practice usual precautions when traveling to Hong Kong. If you plan to travel internationally, I encourage you to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive important messages, alerts, updates, and travel advisories while you are there.

Fighting Discrimination  
Discrimination has no place in our community. I am saddened to hear reports of verbal and physical abuse targeting Asian-Americans in the weeks since news of the coronavirus broke. This virus recognizes no race, ethnicity, or class and is not more likely to be harbored in Asian-American owned businesses. We are in this together and it is times like this when we must remember that our diversity is our strength.

Congressional Action

Successfully fighting coronavirus will require massive federal investment and collaboration between the public and private sectors. This week, the House of Representatives voted to approve billions of new funds to help the federal government's response to this outbreak.

As we continue the regular work of Congress in the coming weeks, I am fighting against the cuts to the CDC and National Institute of Health in the President's Budget proposal so we have the resources to fight global diseases in the future. I will also continue supporting Medicare for All to make sure everyone can afford the medical tests and treatments they need for a healthy life. We must also take all necessary precautions to protect healthcare workers on the frontlines of this fight. Congress must ensure that hospitals and other health providers adhere to infection control protocols, have protective equipment, and that cases of infected workers are handled swiftly with the best care possible.

Further Information 

Experts have been working hard to understand this new strain of coronavirus. Because new information is coming out every day, please visit the sites below to stay up to date.

The health and safety of you and your loved ones is important. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call my office at (505) 346-6781.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

The thing is, according to a petition email I got the same time I got the above email, New Mexico and several other states do not have any testing kits.  I have left a message with Deb Haaland's office asking about the contradiction in information.

March 11, 2020

Earlier today, Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham announced that New Mexico has three confirmed cases of coronavirus, including one in Bernalillo County. I want to take a moment to reassure you that I have been in touch with the Governor and our New Mexico delegation and we will all face keeping New Mexico safe and healthy together.

My most importance advice has not changed: please stay calm and protect yourself and those around you by practicing good hygiene, including frequently washing our hands for at least 20 seconds.

As a member of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, I will be in a hearing tomorrow morning with federal public health officials charged with mounting the response to the coronavirus. I look forward to asking them questions important to New Mexico and holding this Administration accountable.

Prevention  
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus. There are simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including: 

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based
  • hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available,

If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, you should:

• Wear a facemask

Symptoms
Coronavirus is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. If you have visited China, regions of Italy, South Korea, or Iran within the past two weeks and start to feel ill, call your doctor.

Facemasks
The CDC does not recommned that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus. Facemasks should only be used by people who show symptoms of coronavirus to help prevent the spread of disease to others if that person must go in public. Please do not stockpile facemasks if you feel well, medical centers may require these masks for patients in need.

Testing
The New Mexico Department of Health is currently offering the test for coronavirus at no cost, though your hospital may charge you a small collection fee. You should feel comfortable being tested and not fear exorbitant medical fees. When the private sector begins using the test, it will start to charge fees at rates we do not currently know.

Travel Warnings
As the situation continues to change and more countries report cases, the CDC is continuing to update their travel recommendations. Before you plan any international travel, please consult the CDC's webpage on the coronavirus to remain aware of any risks that exist in your destination. If you plan to travel internationally, I also encourage you to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program  to receive important messages, alerts, updates, and travel advisories while you are there.

Fighting Discrimination 
Discrimination has no place in our community. This virus does not recognize race, ethnicity, or class and is not more likely to be harbored in Asian-American owned businesses. We are in this together and it is times like this when we must remember that our diversity is our strength.

Congressional Action
Successfully fighting coronavirus will require massive federal investment and collaboration between the public and private sectors. This week, the House of Representatives passed billions of emergency funds to help the federal government's response to this outbreak.

As we continue the regular work of Congress in the coming weeks, I am fighting against the cuts to the CDC and National Institute of Health in the President's Budget proposal so we have the resources to fight global diseases in the future. I will also continue supporting Medicare for All to make sure everyone can afford the tests and treatments they need to live a healthy life. I also know what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck and that many New Mexicans cannot afford to stay home, which is why I continue to fight for paid sick leave for all Americans. We must also take all necessary precautions to protect healthcare workers on the frontlines of this fight. Congress must ensure that hospitals and other health providers adhere to infection control protocols, have protective equipment, and that cases of infected workers are handled swiftly with the best care possible.

I'm also working with my colleagues on a bill to make sure everyday people can feed their families during this public health crisis and prevent further unnecessary food insecurity. This legislation would combat the impacts of the coronavirus by temporarily increasing Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, blocking the Administration from implementing any rules to narrow eligibility for food assistance programs, and suspending work requirement time limits for SNAP benefits.

Further Information 
Experts have been working hard to understand this new strain of coronavirus. Because new information is coming out every day, please visit the sites below to stay up to date.

• The Centers for Disease Control  provides updates on the virus and safety information for the public and healthcare professionals.
  • The New Mexico Department of Health  provides updates on the disease's spread within the state, as well as frequently asked questions available here.
  • The State Department  provides a list of travel advisories for those who are planning to fly outside of the United States.

The health and safety of you and your loved ones is important. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call my office at (505) 346-6781.

Sincerely, 

Member of Congress

• Like 1

March 12, 2020

Thank you for reaching out to me regarding H.R. 2933, the Food and Agribusiness Merger Moratorium and Antitrust Review Act. I appreciate you taking the time to write and helping me serve as your representative. Your input is valuable to me.

As New Mexicans, we know how important agriculture, especially family farms, are to not only our culture, but also to boosting our economy and supplying food to our local and rural communities. Family farms are more likely to implement farming practices that are better for the environment and their workers. It has become increasingly difficult for New Mexican family farms to compete against corporations, however. Mergers and acquisitions between large farm, food, and grocery companies have resulted in decreasing profits for farmers and create an environment where small family farms may struggle to stay in business. Right now, the four largest multinational corporations now control of 71% of the pork market, 85% of the beef market, and 90% of the grain market.

Representative Mark Pocan introduced H.R. 2933, the Food and Agribusiness Merger Moratorium and Antitrust Review Act, along with Senator Cory Booker,  to impose an immediate moratorium on large acquisitions and mergers in the food and agriculture sector. The moratorium would be in place until Congress passes comprehensive legislation addressing the problem of market concentration in the agricultural sector. The bill would also set up a commission to study how to strengthen antitrust oversight of the farm and food sectors and publish recommended improvements to merger enforcement and antitrust rules. I am proud to tell you that I have agreed to cosponsor of H.R. 2933. New Mexico family farmers will always have a voice in Congress while I am here.

Sincerely,
Deb Haaland
Member of Congress

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

March 23, 2020

As we continue through this public health crisis, I will keep in touch with you to make sure you have accurate information on how Congress is upholding its duty to you and how to stay safe and healthy. Since New Mexico announced its first cases of coronavirus, I have stayed in constant communication with Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham, our New Mexico Congressional delegation, and public health officials. We will make sure that we tackle this challenge together.

Last week, I hosted a telephone townhall with Dr. Daniel Sosin and Dr. Nestor Sosa to answer your important questions about the coronavirus. If you missed it but would still like to listen to the experts, you can listen to the telephone townhall here or on my bilingual Coronavirus Info Center .

My most importance advice has not changed: please stay calm and protect yourself and those around you by practicing social distancing, good hygiene, including frequently washing our hands for at least 20 seconds.

Now that the Families First Coronavirus Response Act has been signed, ensuring free coronavirus tests to everyone who needs one and providing paid sick leave to workers across the country, Congress will continue to work on new legislation to put families first. I will continue to make sure your voice is heard as we consider new, vital solutions to this pandemic.

Prevention  

• Stay home, if possible
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available,

Symptoms
Coronavirus is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.

Facemasks
Medical facilities across the country are facing shortages of personal protective equipment, including facemasks. Please do not contribute to this shortage. The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus. Facemasks should only be used by people who show symptoms of coronavirus to help prevent the spread of disease to others if that person must go in public. Again, please do not stockpile facemasks, medical centers require these masks to remain operational.

Testing
Thanks to the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, testing for the coronavirus is free for everyone, no matter their insurance status. Our state, and our country as a whole, remains behind on testing capabilities, so please only go to one of the mobile testing stations if you are exhibiting symptoms of the coronavirus.

Travel Warnings
On March 19th, the State Department warned all Americans to avoid traveling abroad and rose its travel advisory to the highest level for the entire world. Americans abroad should return to the United States or be prepared to remain where they are for an indefinite period of time. I will remain in touch with the State Department to help New Mexicans abroad as best as we are able to at this time.

Fighting Discrimination 
Discrimination has no place in our community. This virus does not recognize race, ethnicity, or class and is not more likely to be harbored in Asian-American owned businesses. We are in this together and it is times like this when we must remember that our diversity is our strength.

Congressional Action
Successfully fighting coronavirus will require massive federal investment and collaboration between the public and private sectors.

• Congress passed billions of emergency funds to help the federal government's response to this outbreak in early March as the crisis began to unfold. The president signed our bill and more than $6 million has been released to the State of New Mexico.
  • We then passed and the President signed the Families First Coronavirus Response Act to help ensure free testing for all who need it, expanded unemployment benefits, paid sick and family leave for workers who need to stay home sick or with their child whose school shut down, and strengthened benefits, including SNAP.

The House of Representatives now turns to our next bill as we face skyrocketing unemployment and workers who do not know when their next paycheck is coming or how they will pay their rent. Please rest assured that I have heard from the entertainment industry and gig workers to our healthcare workers and other service industry workers. I am working for every single one of you and will make you heard on this bill and the next ones.

Further Information 

• The Centers for Disease Control  provides updates on the virus and safety information for the public and healthcare professionals.
  • The New Mexico Department of Health  provides updates on the disease's spread within the state, as well as frequently asked questions available here.
  • The State Department  provides a list of travel advisories for those who are planning to fly outside of the United States.

Sincerely, 

Member of Congress

• Like 1

March 24, 2020

Thank you for reaching out to me regarding H.R. 4, the Voting Rights Advancement Act . I appreciate you taking the time to write and helping me serve as your representative. Your input is valuable to me.

Our democracy has struggled to live up to its own high aspirations. Women did not have universal suffrage until 132 years after the Constitution was ratified, New Mexico did not allow Native Americans to vote until 1948, Jim Crow laws prevented African Americans from voting for 100 years after the Civil War, and Congress did not ensure voting registration materials would be printed in Spanish until 1975. Now that Democrats hold the majority in the House of Representatives, we intend to build on the progress of past generations and strengthen our democracy.

An important part of that is to address the misguided Supreme Court decision in Shelby v. Holder, which attacked key provisions in the Voting Rights Act (VRA) of 1965. The Court struck down the portion of the VRA that identified jurisdictions with a history of racial discrimination and required those jurisdictions to undergo further review whenever they attempt to change their voting laws. For almost fifty years, Section 4 of the VRA prevented race-based voter suppression, but the Supreme Court changed all of that. Since the Shelby decision, nearly two dozen states have implemented restrictive voter ID laws and states previously covered by Section 4 have closed or consolidated polling places, shortened early voting, and imposed other measures that restrict voting. I agree with you that these voter suppression are unacceptable.

The Voting Rights Advancement Act was introduced by Representative Terri Sewell to restore the protections provided in the Voting Rights Act by developing a process to determine which states must pre-clear election changes with the Department of Justice. It will also require a nationwide, practice-based pre-clearance of known discriminatory practices, including the creation of at-large districts, inadequate multilingual voting materials, and reductions in the number of polling places.

I am proud to be an original cosponsor of H.R. 4, The Voting Rights Advancement Act . Voting Rights are the foundation of our democracy. As a former grassroots organizer who spent years expanding access to the ballot box, I want to ensure that no group of Americans has a more difficult time being heard than any other and that no Americans are marginalized by discriminatory voting rights practices. H.R. 4 brings back vital protections lost in Shelby v. Holder so New Mexicans and all Americans can exercise their right to vote.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important subject. Please contact me again in the future as Congress debates issues that we all care about .

Sincerely,
Deb Haaland
Member of Congress

March 31, 2020

I want you to know that New Mexico families, workers, and small businesses are my top priority during this challenging time. We just passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to strengthen unemployment benefits, send money straight to your pocket, and help keep our hospitals and healthcare professionals safe.

Since New Mexico announced its first cases of coronavirus, I have stayed in constant communication with Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham, our New Mexico Congressional delegation, and public health officials. We will make sure that we tackle this challenge together.

The most important advice has not changed: please stay calm and protect yourself and those around you by practicing social distancing and frequently washing our hands for at least 20 seconds.

The CARES Act expands unemployment benefits to cover part-time, self-employed, and gig workers, including artists, entertainers, and others around New Mexico who work on a contract to contract basis. My colleagues in the Senate successfully negotiated double the amount of money for direct assistance to working and they secured billions of dollars in loan forgiveness grants and emergency grants for small businesses to make sure they do not come out of this crisis drowning in debt. These protections will help provide relief for our local restaurants, microbreweries, coffee shops, and distilleries that are taking a huge hit right now. New Mexico small businesses are the backbone of our economy and we need to help those businesses stay afloat and ensure their employees are financially secure.

The CARES Act gives working people $1,200 with an additional $500 per child. While I know this puts a band-aid on most people's suffering finances, I am optimistic it will help people now as I continue to advocate for stronger policies for the people going forward.

I put together a Q&A document in English and in Spanish to ensure you have the information you need about the checks being distributed in the coming weeks.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

PREGUNTAS Y RESPUESTAS MÁS COMUNES

Prevention  

• Stay home, if possible
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available,

Symptoms
Coronavirus is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.

Facemasks
Medical facilities across the country are facing shortages of personal protective equipment, including facemasks. Please do not contribute to this shortage. The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus. Facemasks should only be used by people who show symptoms of coronavirus to help prevent the spread of disease to others if that person must go in public. Again, please do not stockpile facemasks, medical centers require these masks to remain operational.

Testing
Thanks to the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, testing for the coronavirus is free for everyone, no matter their insurance status. Our state, and our country as a whole, remains behind on testing capabilities, so please only go to one of the mobile testing stations if you are exhibiting symptoms of the coronavirus.

Travel Warnings
On March 19th, the State Department warned all Americans to avoid traveling abroad and rose its travel advisory to the highest level for the entire world. Americans abroad should return to the United States or be prepared to remain where they are for an indefinite period of time. I will remain in touch with the State Department to help New Mexicans abroad as best as we are able to at this time. I have already helped several New Mexicans return home and will not rest until I know all New Mexicans are safe.

Fighting Discrimination 

Congressional Action
Successfully fighting coronavirus will require massive federal investment and collaboration between the public and private sectors.

• Congress passed billions of emergency funds to help the federal government's response to this outbreak in early March as the crisis began to unfold. The president signed our bill and more than $6 million has been released to the State of New Mexico.
  • We then passed and the President signed the Families First Coronavirus Response Act to help ensure free testing for all who need it, expanded unemployment benefits, paid sick and family leave for workers who need to stay home sick or with their child whose school shut down, and strengthened benefits, including SNAP.
  • We passed the CARES Act to help working families and small businesses that are hurting right now. More than three million people filed for unemployment benefits in one week alone and rent is due later this week. That's why I fought for increased unemployment benefits and to make sure that any bailout money gets to workers, not CEO bonuses. The bill also includes loans that may be forgiven over time for small businesses and increased funding to obtain more personal protective equipment for our healthcare workforce who desperately need it.

I know what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck or be worried if I'm going to be able to care for a loved one or afford a hospital bill. New Mexicans are struggling right now and need Congress to bring them some security and support. I am optimistic that the one-time payment of $1,200 for working people, with $500 per child, and increased unemployment benefits will provide immense aid. Our communities are resilient and I am ready to keep working on more comprehensive legislation to get us through this challenge and make sure we're prepared for any future pandemic.

Further Information 

• My bilingual Coronavirus Info Center  is a one-stop-shop for phone numbers, helpful links, and information.

Sincerely, 

Member of Congress

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember, if it's not this signature... 

1585750365786.thumb.jpg.bbc3979248f72c3cf8378b59200a80a4.jpg

You can't cash it... 

~

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

May 12, 2020

The April jobs report painted a dire picture that many New Mexico families already knew from personal experience: at least 14.7% of adults are out of work, with a likely 5% under-count according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics . I recently asked New Mexicans in our community about their current employment situation with results echoing these grim numbers.

Congress passed the CARES Act to provide individuals with a one-time payment of $1,200 and create Pandemic Unemployment Assistance to provide another $600 a week to those losing their jobs during this crisis and expand unemployment benefits to self-employed individuals and gig workers. I am happy to report that the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions updated its website to process all of the new applications and benefits available to New Mexico workers.

On the same day that the April jobs report was released, White House Economic Advisor Larry Kudlow announced that the White House is not interested in further stimulus packages this month. I have been listening to you and heard your calls for more help from Congress to help stay safe in your workplace or stay financially secure as you stay home to keep our community healthy. I remain in contact with my colleagues in the House of Representatives and am pushing for a vote on the next stimulus package as soon as possible that includes:

• An Essential Workers Bill of Rights to guarantee personal protective equipment to all essential workers, from healthcare professionals to grocery store clerks, hazard pay for their work, and holding businesses accountable if they fail to protect workers and their workers get sick.
  • Monthly direct cash assistance to all families that automatically continues through the entirety of this crisis. I have heard from mixed immigration status couples who file their taxes together and from caregivers who file their older family members as dependents were unjustly missed by the last rebate check.
  • Further aid to state, local, and tribal governments that expect massive budget shortfalls due to the coronavirus pandemic to make sure that they do not have to cut vital programs such as infrastructure, education, and healthcare. Additionally, I led my colleagues in calling for increased funding to states for their Medicaid programs to help keep the most vulnerable among us covered.

My office stands ready to help with anything you need. My constituent services team is taking phone calls and responding to emails as soon as possible. I am in constant contact with federal, state and local officials and be sure to update you as we move forward.

Further Information 

Our work is not done and I am working with all of my colleagues to expand on the CARES Act and put families, workers, and small businesses first. The health and safety of you and your loved ones is important. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call my office at (505) 346-6781.

Sincerely, 

Member of Congress

Edited by Desertrat56

On 4/1/2020 at 8:46 AM, third_eye said:

Remember, if it's not this signature... 

You can't cash it... 

~

I got direct deposit so it doesn't matter who signed it.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dad used to say that if the american gov made 1000 deals with the indians they broke 999 of them,

It IS about time :tu:

• Like 1

May 20, 2020

In the midst of the current public health and economic crisis, President Trump’s Department of the Interior recklessly moved ahead with plans to open up the area surrounding Chaco Canyon to oil and gas drilling. The Bureau of Land Management is accepting comments on this issue until May 28th  here .

When the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) first proposed its draft Farmington Resource Management plan, which could open the entire area around Chaco Canyon to drilling under the “preferred” alternative, it was clear the proposal did not adequately protect Chaco. Its plan for the region puts cultural sites at risk and ignores the long-standing demands from tribal leaders, the governor, the entire congressional delegation, the state land commissioner and communities in the area for protections.

Now, the voices of the tribes are being sidelined again during this time of unimaginable heartbreak. Tribal communities are suffering disproportionately from COVID-19. They are focusing their resources to provide relief to those hardest hit. Their attention is rightfully elsewhere. As a result, the decision to move forward with the comment period during this global pandemic serves only to disenfranchise these communities and is a failure to fulfill Department of Interior’s trust and treaty obligations to Native nations and fails to protect a national treasure. In effect, BLM is cutting out members of the public in Indian Country and other rural parts of New Mexico who lack access to adequate internet service, as New Mexico ranks 49th for broadband internet access.

That is why my fellow New Mexico congressional delegation members and I sent a letter to the Secretary of the Interior urging him to extend the public comment deadline on the Farmington RMP process by 120 days given the pandemic has removed the option for citizens to provide input in person. They have not done so, and are relying instead on a late announcement of wholly inadequate virtual meetings.

It is insulting, particularly to Native communities and those in rural parts of New Mexico during a global pandemic, to shove through a planning process that will shape how these irreplaceable lands and cultural icons are managed for decades. It is imperative that tribes, local leaders and people across the state make their voices heard. I urge Interior Secretary David Bernhardt to heed the calls of the entire N.M. congressional delegation, state Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, All Pueblo Council of Governors, Pueblo of Laguna, Santa Clara Pueblo and Pueblo of Acoma to extend the period to allow sufficient time for comments after the threat of the pandemic has passed.

While entirely insufficient without public meetings to supplement the process, the public comment period remains open until Thursday, May 28th. Anyone who cares about the greater Chaco area may provide public comment here letting BLM know you support “management Alternative B,” which would close federal lands within 10 miles of Chaco to future oil and gas leasing to safeguard the irreplaceable historic and cultural resources and sacred sites in the greater Chaco landscape.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

Washington, DC Office
1237 Longworth 
House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: ‍(202) 225-6316
Albuquerque Office
400 Gold Avenue SW
Suite 680
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Phone: ‍(505) 346-6781

Edited by Desertrat56

• 2 weeks later...

June 3, 2020

At the end of last week as protests were only beginning to spread across the country, President Trump tweeted “Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts.” Encouraging further violence against fellow Americans is reprehensible. His words directly echo those from darker days in our history. The phrase originated from a racist police chief in Miami in the 1960s who was proud of police brutality and unjustly targeting the black community. The phrase and resulting actions were shameful decades ago and they are shameful now.

Enough is enough. We must have justice for the murder of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and all the black lives who have been taken unjustly. The pain our country feels is rooted in generations of institutional racism. People of color are dying unjust deaths at the hands of power abusers. Whether it be the abuse of power that poisons the air and water surrounding communities of color, taking away protections for undocumented young people, underfunding Tribes putting them at disproportionate risk during a pandemic, or police brutality that kills unarmed black people, we must untangle the racist webs that are woven into our laws and policies.

I continue to be proud to be from New Mexico, a place where dignity and respect are deeply ingrained in our values. I was proud to see peaceful marchers and the police making space for protesters to safely practice their first amendment rights in Albuquerque. At the same time, a very small minority are compounding this pain by resorting to further violence and destruction. I condemn that violence with the same rigor that I condemn the racist conditions that have put our country in the position it is in now.

The White House and the United States Capitol- the centers of power in our country- were built by slaves and have carried that stain for generations. We cannot change our history, but we must forge a new path forward. Racism is not acceptable in our government and those who continue to callback to racist power-brokers or suggest that we use military force against protesters should be ashamed of themselves.

On Monday, I was proud to join Representative Barbara Lee to introduce a bill that will establish a Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation (TRHT) Commission to examine the effects of slavery and racism against people of color, on American history, and its impact on laws and policies we have today. Make no mistake, slavery was interwoven into our country’s foundation and its impacts did not miraculously disappear. To move forward we must have a complete understanding of systemic discrimination and abolish every law that supports our current racial status quo.

I am eager to return to Washington, DC, to work with my colleagues on passing legislation to address the issues that protesters across the country are shining a light on. I have been in touch with members of the Congressional Black Caucus and Congressional Progressive Caucus and we are developing legislation to end the militarization of the police, increase oversight and accountability of the police, and reduce the use of lethal force in addition to my legislation with Representative Lee. I want to assure those protesting police brutality that they are heard.

In solidarity,
Member of Congress

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For centuries our country has been plagued by unaddressed systemic racism, but in the last few weeks, our time of reckoning has come. Sparked by the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and so many more black lives, people from all backgrounds and experiences have united to demand better from our government. I am proud that Mayor Tim Keller has announced plans to create a new department of first responders to deliver a public health approach to safety. The Albuquerque Community Safety (ACS) department will include trained professionals such as social workers, housing and homeless specialists, violence prevention and diversion experts.

Now it is time for the federal government to step up and listen to the voices shouting to be heard. I proudly joined the Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Representative Karen Bass, in introducing the Justice in Policing Act to immediately implement changes to put an end to police brutality. This bill holds police accountable by lowering the burden on ordinary people who bring charges against an abusive police officer, and fixing qualified immunity so it does not act as the barrier to justice into which the Supreme Court has twisted it. Additionally, the Justice in Policing Act increases transparency by mandating that police departments release reports on the use of force and preventing problematic police officers from hopping from jurisdiction to jurisdiction after being fired. Finally, the bill includes a massive overhaul of police officer training and practices, including an end to racial profiling and the use of choke holds. Later this week, the House of Representatives will be holding a vote on this historic, long overdue, and necessary piece of legislation.

Rest assured that I know this is a massive undertaking and that the problem will not simply be solved by a single piece of legislation from Congress - it will take the entire government, from the local to federal level and everything in between, to fix our policing system. Police brutality has been an issue for an incredibly long time, and now that it is at the forefront of the public and political conversations, I will not ease up in giving voice to our community’s demands and cries for justice. Respect for human life must always be the guiding value of our public servants, and it has been tragic to continue to hear about even more police murders this month alone, including that of Rayshard Brooks.

In solidarity,
Member of Congress

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

July 19, 2020

I proudly joined the Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Representative Karen Bass, in introducing the Justice in Policing Act to immediately implement changes to put an end to police brutality. This bill holds police accountable by lowering the burden on ordinary people who bring charges against abusive police officers and fixing qualified immunity so it does not act as the barrier to justice into which the Supreme Court has twisted it. Last month, the House of Representatives passed our bill with a bipartisan 236-181 vote.

The Justice in Policing Act also increases transparency by mandating that police departments release reports on the use of force and by creating a nationwide police misconduct registry to prevent problematic police officers from hopping from jurisdiction to jurisdiction after being fired. Finally, the bill includes a massive overhaul of police officer training and practices, including an end to racial profiling and the use of choke holds.

Americans across the country are speaking out and demanding action to address the crisis of systemic racism and police brutality. Those voices should echo throughout Congress and guide our work. You can visit JusticeinPolicing.us now to learn more about how Congress is listening to the voice demanding reform. You will also have the option to share your thoughts on the bill, and you may choose to become a citizen cosponsor and join my newsletter to get future legislative updates. Sign up as a co-sponsor by July 23 and your name will be included in the official Congressional Record as a citizen cosponsor.

I have also authored the PROTECT Act to put an end to the militarization of our police. There is something profoundly wrong when the federal government provides community police with military grade, war zone fitted material. As we look next week to pass the National Defense Authorization Act, I will join my colleagues to amend the bill to include provisions to put an end to the militarization of our police.

Rest assured that I know this is a massive undertaking and that the problem will not simply be solved by legislation from Congress- it will take all of us, from the local to federal level and everything in between, to fix our policing system. As we work to put pressure on the Senate and the Administration to take action, your voice and input in this effort is critical.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

September 18, 2020

The promise of the American Dream should be available and accessible to everyone, but right now, our country is facing crises that are fatefully intertwined: tens of millions of people are unemployed, the COVID-19 pandemic rages, racial and economic injustice are rampant, and the climate crisis is accelerating. That’s why last week Sen. Ed Markey and I introduced a bold plan for economic renewal known as the Agenda to Transform, Heal, and Renew by Investing in a Vibrant Economy, or THRIVE Agenda.

I grew up in a culture that welcomes everyone, a culture in which we support each other in times of need so everyone thrives. We have an opportunity to not just recover from these interlocking crises, but to thrive by creating millions of good paying, union, clean, green jobs while building a more just, healthy, and stable economy that leaves no one behind. Our THRIVE Resolution brings those values to the national stage by laying out the unifying principles necessary to build a society that enables dignified work; increased racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice; healthy communities; and a stable climate. The THRIVE agenda is built on eight pillars, which span from creating millions of good, safe jobs with access to unions to averting climate catastrophe while investing in Black, Brown, and Indigenous communities. 

A new analysis by economists at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst found that a bold economic renewal plan, as outlined in the THRIVE Agenda, would create nearly 16 million new jobs. Under this agenda, these 16 million new jobs would offer safe workplaces, family-sustaining wages and benefits, and access to unions. These workers would be part of a national agenda to deploy clean and affordable public transit, replace lead pipes for clean water, expand wind and solar power, care for our children and the elderly, retrofit buildings to cut costs and pollution, expand manufacturing of clean technologies, restore our wetlands and forests, and grow food sustainably on family farms. You can read more about the THRIVE Agenda in my press release and hear from the coalition of grassroots groups including labor unions and Black, Brown and Indigenous leaders, who have already come out in support of the resolution.

The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted the lives of so many New Mexicans and families across America. I want you to know that I’m working to provide immediate relief, and to enact a recovery plan that will allow everyone to thrive.

Sincerely,
Member of Congress

• Thanks 1