Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Frank Box – telephone to the dead?

The Eternal Flame

ghost box is causing ripples in the paranormal world. The controversial Frank Box supplies raw audio that spirits purportedly use to communicate messages.

How did the Frank Box emerge? In 2000, its creator, Frank Sumption, tried using conventional white noise to capture Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVPs) but found this method had drawbacks.

https://anomalien.com/the-frank-box-telephone-to-the-dead/

• Like 5

• The title was changed to The Frank Box – telephone to the dead?
54 minutes ago, debra odem said:

ghost box is causing ripples in the paranormal world. The controversial Frank Box supplies raw audio that spirits purportedly use to communicate messages.

How did the Frank Box emerge? In 2000, its creator, Frank Sumption, tried using conventional white noise to capture Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVPs) but found this method had drawbacks.

It says in the article in the link that the Frank Box picks up Non-human entities, what are they if not human dead?

I am dubious, but, as the article says, "The only way to judge it is by content".  They need to show me responses that are clear and not details that are available otherwise and able to be verified. If they cannot validate, this goes nowhere with me. If they can, then I will look twice. There have been random responses of earlier prototypes that taken in isolation seemed intelligent and impressive, but expand it by one minute and it was just noise and obviously doubtful. 

When we cannot define what "ghosts" or "spirits" are and what they are made of, how is it we know how to record them and give them a means to speak? A mechanical means.

As a worker who has heard entities with my own senses on rare occasions, I really am dubious of mechanical means. I do not say impossible,  just it doesn't compute with me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It says in the article in the link that the Frank Box picks up Non-human entities, what are they if not human dead?

The answer is in the frank box so many unanswered question like whe can help them how and what you have done today i would love to ask frank box? I want one for xmas :santa:

Edited by debra odem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ask the Frank Box, indeed!

Not one of this class of contact has ever answered anything substantive, such as Is there a God, where did you bury the money, or if you are so aware, how come you hang out in such odd places? Heck, most of the time you cannot even get an answer to "What is your name?" 

Like I said, if it can validate, and be specific I may look twice, but, I'm not holding my breath - and I am not a sceptic. 

• Like 3

I denoted that the guy never answer to help us  and they can help us and after in the frank box they get mad and says they dont answer us and seem upset about it ? The box dont answer us now get upset beacose whe dont answer ? In the video they says the name of 03 member, its conclusive someting there.

Edited by debra odem

Maybe its yeld in a class that it dont belong along all those box.

1 hour ago, debra odem said:

Maybe its yeld in a class that it dont belong along all those box.

Are you using a translator app? Cause it's not working well. If not, my appologies. You may just be struggling with the English language.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Nope, not touching this one with a ten foot Papa meter. You kids have fun.

Come on in, the water's fine.

• Haha 3

I believe there is something genuine to EVP communication from the non-physical realms. I have heard some Class A stuff meaning clear to all listeners the first time and context relevant. Certainly this is all no mean feat so Class B, C, D and pareidolia.....type stuff should be expected too.

I would love Santa to bring me a Frank Box for Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Are you using a translator app? Cause it's not working well. If not, my appologies. You may just be struggling with the English language.

Let me try again. Hi debra odem, I'm Hank, I'm an idiot who sometimes says stupid things. Judging by your reaction, this is one of them. My humblest apologies if I've offended you. Regards,

Hank

• Like 3

Eventually we have to find some way to communicate with beings who have 'died', but if you dont believe in any afterlife, then there is no point in trying to develop a machine to do that communication. There is kind-of evidence to life-after-death but again, there is no proof - just people who can OBE and people who have had NDEs. And...of course there is religion too.

If the afterlife exists, then why not try to find some way to interact with it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, debra odem said:

Hi Debra Odem. I was planning to start a thread on Frank Boxes. Glad you beat me to the punch.

The article gives very little background to the story of why he made these boxes.

• Like 1

Did you know that each Frank Box is assigned a unique number? None of the boxes are the same. They are i a sense evolving as Frank experiments with his boxes. At one he was giving away his boxes. I believe that is still true.

He has made them available to believers and to skeptics. Each box produces a white noise.I have a definition below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise

It still does despite what the article might suggest. The difference is that the white noise can now come from any of a number of frequencies - radio frequencies.

Here is more commentary on this device

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voice_phenomenon#Spiricom_and_Frank's_Box

Another electronic device specifically constructed in an attempt to capture EVP is "Frank's Box" or the "Ghost Box", created in 2002 by EVP enthusiast Frank Sumption for supposed real-time communication with the dead. Sumption claims he received his design instructions from the spirit world. The device is described as a combination white noise generator and AM radio receiver modified to sweep back and forth through the AM band selecting split-second snippets of sound. Critics of the device say its effect is subjective and incapable of being replicated, and since it relies on radio noise, any meaningful response a user gets is purely coincidental, or simply the result of pareidolia.[17] Paranormal researcher Ben Radford writes that Frank's Box is a "modern version of the Ouija board... also known as the 'broken radio'".[18]

• Like 3

In this article we learn a little about the technical steps Frank took to make his boxes.

But the article does not give a clear reason for this efforts. I had to use the cached version of this site since it seems that it has been hacked.

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=frank+sumption+box+death+son&d=4871321907694799&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=erRPwnckY8inON-ZoZdIT_n81OWFRd8l

In 1995, the do-it-yourself article “Ghost Voices: Exploring the Mysteries of Electronic Voice Phenomena” appeared in Popular Electronics magazine. (Konstantinos, 1995) This inspired amateur radio enthusiast Frank Sumption to build his Frank’s Box. However, the credit can’t all go to the article. Sumption claimed a team of spirits also assisted him in the design and creation of his device. In accordance with the myth that Thomas Edison pioneered spirit communication, some even believe that Edison’s spirit dictated the design of the Frank’s Box to Sumption.

One legend says that Sumption had wanted to communicate with aliens, and then one day he thought he heard the voice of his deceased son. Then it became a “ghost box”.

The author of the site, Karen Stollznow, was given box #64 by Frank himself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if it's as good as the hacked radio shacks model ....... sweeping the airwaves and picking little snippets of radio station and pretending they herd a spirit then convincing everyone else it's a spirit 

• Like 3

What actually controls the manner in which the radio scans the airwaves and plays snippets? A timer you set? A random number generator? Or does it just go up and down in a defined rythm and play whatever comes through strongest at certain intervals?

Someone must have reverse engineered one of these to see exactly what is going on inside.

EDIT: Nevermind, he explains it in detail in the video. It does it different ways. 

Total bunk, but interesting tech.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, moonman said:

What actually controls the manner in which the radio scans the airwaves and plays snippets? A timer you set? A random number generator? Or does it just go up and down in a defined rythm and play whatever comes through strongest at certain intervals?

Someone must have reverse engineered one of these to see exactly what is going on inside.

There are several ways that the radio can be controlled. The interview, which you might not want to listen to- that's ok, discusses linear and random scanning. Frank stated he preferred the linear. He inputs a triangle wave into the scanner which causes it to scan up and down in a linear fashion. The output is just what the receiver picks up. It does not attempt to "home" in on strong signals.

At the end of the interview in which he explains how he builds his boxes he gives one to the interviewer who opens it up at home and talks about the pieces.

They are often referred to as broken radios.

• Like 1

These boxes are supposed to communicate with some one or some thing.

Curious how we would know if communication has occurred.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Frank’s ghost box captured worldwide attention when it was featured on an episode of the popular series Paranormal State.

Oh boy, Paranormal stare?  Yes,  popular for the utterly gullible!  

Paranormal state is hoax. Every scene is cleverly edited, every evidence they put forth is questionable. How they manage to keep their ratings up is totally a mystery. With all this trickery and deception

http://www.ghosttheory.com/2008/11/04/paranormal-state-caught-faking-entire-show

It would be best not to mention PS if you hope for some credibility.

In this post about Frank and his Boxes we learn some interesting ideas from Frank.

https://skepticalinquirer.org/exclusive/franks_box_the_broken_radio/

A swept radio is a convenient source of raw audio, and that is all the Ghost Box is, and we are spirit as well-hint hint..and it alsoseems to be a form of quantum communcation, allowing instantaneous communication over stellar distances.”

That idea is an often mistaken idea about QM. It is not possible to communicate instantaneously.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1325795

The delayed choice quantum eraser in particular shows that you cannot use entanglement for FTL communication.