Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump Quadruples South Korea Military bill

Gromdor

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/politics/trump-south-korea-troops-price-hike/index.html

So, I'm thinking that Trump realized he failed with North Korea and is going to use South Korea's refusal to pay as an excuse to just walk away from the region.  If they do pay, he will take it as weakness and use it to further extort things from them in the future.

I feel bad for the guys at the pentagon who have to change the numbers on the items on the bill and resubmit it.  400$ toilet seat?  Nah, it's $1600!

Needless to say South Korea is upset.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Of course they would be.  There's a LOT of that going around now that Uncle Sucker has turned off the tap.  If you feel that bad for them, write them a check.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Does South Korea really NEED the US Troops any more ? 

Well, my nephew is there and Trump sent him.  South Korea didn't ask for him.  I know he eats alot, but 4x the regular bill is a bit much.

• Haha 1

South Korea could always tell them to go home - or could it?

10 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

The forces we have there are not significant enough to delay the Norks long if they chose to come south.  Their importance is more about being a tripwire for a MUCH more complicated situation should the North try to invade.  I think the Kim family enterprise could be brought to heel if we began talking with the South Koreans about helping them begin their own nuclear program.  Not because it would scare the fat boy.  It would be because it would GREATLY pizz off China.  They don't need that complication with their current plans for the future ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

South Korea could always tell them to go home - or could it?

They absolutely could.  They probably will at some point.  Asking them to pay for the expenses we are put to on their behalf may have the same effect it seems to be having in the EU.  They've had uncle sucker on the line for decades and now that they're actually being forced to pay up a minimum they resent not having full autonomy on their defense decisions.  So be it.  NATO or SK are welcome to shoulder the whole burden and stand up whatever sized and configured force they want.  It's totally up to them.  If we leave Korean soil, though, I can't imagine we could come to their aid in time to even slow the Norks, let alone stop them.  If the S Koreans find they are better off trying to trust their cousins to the North then those decisions may well have consequences.

I actually think we will be leaving that region soon enough and allowing China to have unfettered hegemony without a shot fired.  At that point, I think it might not be a great day to be a freedom loving Australian.  If you want to know how the lords of the Middle Kingdom will treat their neighbors after America steps aside, just watch Hong Kong.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, and then said:

It would be because it would GREATLY pizz off China.  They don't need that complication with their current plans for the future ;) 

Would they be as adamant about that as we are about Iran?  Would they be willing to bring pressure to bear or use their client state to go to war?

Xi has watched how Kim dealt with Trump  He has watched how Erdogan dealt with Trump.   He is watching Trump draw back from ROK. Not being an expert on the Asian mind, I would  guess that he is beginning to think that Trump is weak.

Xi may be thinking he can back Trump out of the picture, and quite possibly he can.  In that case, not a chance that South Korea will get a nuke.

After the dust settles, Xi could talk to Kim like Gorbachev talked to East German Eric Honecker, time to lighten up and change your style.

During Trumps second term, China and Russia will be able to realize their wildest dreams of unopposed expansion. No doubt they will be working hard for Trump's re-election.

But we have the most powerful military in the world.  So what?. 

President Trump has shown that he thinks he knows more than the generals and he doesn't take advice. Even his own new guy Esper said it was a bad idea for military morale when the president  overrides military justice with pardons.  I'm sure Xi listens to his briefings every day.  Every action the President takes reveals his personality as an arrogant egotist that makes bad decisions.

The most powerful military in the world is useless if the Commander in Chief  is weak or foolish.

So here is a crazy thought.  What if abandoning South  Korea is the last straw for the military?  What if Esper and the joint chiefs go to Pence and say, "Its time."?

There is numerous China and North Korea Spy in R.O.K, Therefore they instigate normal people of Korea that Korea should get out from ROK-US alliance.

Korea is really chaotic now, It seems that R.O.K divides in two teams.

Pro-American and Pro-China

Trump's saying;: quadruples of Korea military bill  just make Pro-CHINA, Pro communism political party's power much bigger.

• Thanks 1

IF the USA withdrawal their troops in ROK, ROK will be conquered by China and DPRK.

• Like 1

Kinda funny that this comes out right after Trump damaged relations with  South Korea.  Almost as if payment had been rendered Hmmmmmmm

North Korea calls Biden 'a rabid dog' that needs to be put down

1 hour ago, Great Old Man said:

IF the USA withdrawal their troops in ROK, ROK will be conquered by China and DPRK.

Ummm... no ? 

North Korea doesn't have the military capability of invading South Korea. It COULD attack, and do a lot of damage, but ultimately it's army would be utterly destroyed. The South Korean counter-attack would conquer North Korea. 

As for China... how could it get involved ? It has no land border with South Korea. It COULD send troops into North Korea... but would Kim tolerate that ? He knows that once Chinese troops are in his country, they would never leave. 

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummm... no ? 

North Korea doesn't have the military capability of invading South Korea. It COULD attack, and do a lot of damage, but ultimately it's army would be utterly destroyed. The South Korean counter-attack would conquer North Korea. 

As for China... how could it get involved ? It has no land border with South Korea. It COULD send troops into North Korea... but would Kim tolerate that ? He knows that once Chinese troops are in his country, they would never leave. 

They have nuke and numerous spy agents in ROK.

South Korea military system is very poor (also I WAS in there so I know it)

and China.... they can support North Korea.

Edited by Great Old Man

Recent news:

not only Korea, but also Japan

Trump Quadruples on Japan military bill

Edited by Great Old Man
  • Thanks 1

As for China... how could it get involved ?

They figured out how to do so once. I think the geography is probably still the same. 

Ummm... no ? 

Where did your information come from? Could you please provide a link.

21 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

They don't need the troops specifically, it's the representation that to attack South Korea is also an attack on the United States. However, to pull all US Soldiers out of South Korea clearly states that South Korea is no longer supported by the US.

in my opinion the main reason we are still there is for the purpose of keeping tabs on China and Russia. It's kinda hard to do intelligence gathering from the continental US.

Last, if the US did pull out of South Korea, North Korea would invade and with their overwhelming numbers of personnel and equipment South Korea would most likely be overrun in a matter of months.

11 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Where did your information come from? Could you please provide a link.

Certainly. 

I used the wikipedia articles on (a) the military of South Korean (tanks, artillery, air power), and (b) the same with North Korea. 

simples. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

They figured out how to do so once. I think the geography is probably still the same. 

Get real, and stop posting sillyness. 

How, EXACTLY, could China get involved WITHOUT moving military forces into North Korean. 

As I have ALREADY pointed out.. would Kim jon Un allow the Chinese to move troops into North Korea ? I mean.. THINK for gawds sake.. he would be effectively handing control of his country to China. Once the Chinese troops are IN, they would never leave. 

Sheesh... it isn't HARD folks ! 

12 hours ago, Great Old Man said:

They have nuke and numerous spy agents in ROK.

South Korea military system is very poor (also I WAS in there so I know it)

and China.... they can support North Korea.

South Korean military system is NOT poor. However, the NORTH Korean military is barely FED. It is VERY poor. 

China cannot intervene without moving it's armies into North Korea. Do you REALLY think that Kim would allow that ? 

You are seriously mistaken. North Korea can launch MASSIVE rocket and artillery barrages against South Korea. However, those artillery units would be RAPIDLY destroyed by radar-guided counter-battery units. 

It would HURT South Korea... but... it would survive, and it's counter-attack - against underfed North Korean forces.. would be devastating. South Korea would move into North Korea, and utterly defeat it. 

Whether South Korea conquers North Korea, or whether China moves in and conquers North Korea... either way, North Korea would cease to exist: either as a unified Korea, or as a Chinese province. 

And good riddance to bad rubbish ! 

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Get real, and stop posting sillyness. 

How, EXACTLY, could China get involved WITHOUT moving military forces into North Korean. 

As I have ALREADY pointed out.. would Kim jon Un allow the Chinese to move troops into North Korea ? I mean.. THINK for gawds sake.. he would be effectively handing control of his country to China. Once the Chinese troops are IN, they would never leave. 

Sheesh... it isn't HARD folks ! 

A People who honor history wont mind repeating The Great Victory. If it werent for the Chinese there would be no Kim.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

South Korean military system is NOT poor. However, the NORTH Korean military is barely FED. It is VERY poor. 

China cannot intervene without moving it's armies into North Korea. Do you REALLY think that Kim would allow that ? 

You are seriously mistaken. North Korea can launch MASSIVE rocket and artillery barrages against South Korea. However, those artillery units would be RAPIDLY destroyed by radar-guided counter-battery units. 

It would HURT South Korea... but... it would survive, and it's counter-attack - against underfed North Korean forces.. would be devastating. South Korea would move into North Korea, and utterly defeat it. 

Whether South Korea conquers North Korea, or whether China moves in and conquers North Korea... either way, North Korea would cease to exist: either as a unified Korea, or as a Chinese province. 

And good riddance to bad rubbish ! 

Even South Vietnam was conquered by North Communist Vietnam even with enormous military power, 

Strong Alliance with  USA Army , your saying is totally true, North Korea has no ability to conquer R.O.K

However, when USA army withdraws from Korea, Then, They can conquer R.O.K

Remember South Vietnam, there are lots of high government officials in ROK who secretly follow North Kim.

And you should remember special relationship between China and North Korea

They are both totalitarian-communism Country.

North Korea has a nuke, while R.OK doesn't

Former North Korea ruler Kim Joung il- who is father of Kim Jong eun, says very horrible thing in his dinner party.

More than 10,000,000 people of R.O.K should be killed, More than 10,000,000 people of R.O.K should be banished and became refugee,

and others should go to Korean Auschwitz and re-educated with Communism(actually totalitarianism) policy.

How Horrible is it!

Edited by Great Old Man

On 11/15/2019 at 6:58 AM, Gromdor said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/politics/trump-south-korea-troops-price-hike/index.html

So, I'm thinking that Trump realized he failed with North Korea and is going to use South Korea's refusal to pay as an excuse to just walk away from the region.  If they do pay, he will take it as weakness and use it to further extort things from them in the future.

I feel bad for the guys at the pentagon who have to change the numbers on the items on the bill and resubmit it.  400$ toilet seat?  Nah, it's $1600!

Thanks for the link Gromdor. Boy you very nice Lefties are never happy, President Trump takes another step to balance the budget, which I think the Democrats support, and you folks find fault with it. 

15 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Thanks for the link Gromdor. Boy you very nice Lefties are never happy, President Trump takes another step to balance the budget, which I think the Democrats support, and you folks find fault with it. 

I guess that is one way to fix the deficit.  Quadruple charge for the costs of goods and services.  And do it in a way that causes anti-Americanism in the countries involved.

Here's an idea.  How about quitting golfing?  A quarter billion just so he can hit links/advertise his personal properties is a bit wasteful.

But truth be told, we wouldn't be having this trillion dollar deficit if the tax cut he did lived up to the Republican promise of paying for itself.  But hey, King of Debt and all that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2019 at 8:10 PM, Farmer77 said:

The geographic landscape is the same, but the political one is entirely different.

a broke but unified Korea right on the doorstep of China? They’d be like Kaa from The Jungle Book - Trade with Me ... Just With Me.... and Uncle Sam would see the door slammed in their face.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1