Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Leaf blowers harm insects, Germany warns

Still Waters

The German government has warned against the use of leaf blowers over concerns for insects and the environment.

Germany's Ministry for the Environment said leaf blowers were too loud, polluted the air and posed a fatal threat to insects.

The ministry issued the guidance in response to a request by a Green MP.

Leaf blowers should not be used unless they are "indispensable", the ministry said.

However, the ministry said it was not planning to ban the devices.

The guidance comes after studies suggested insect numbers were plummeting in Germany and across the world, prompting calls for better protection.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50431827

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Spades, forks,lawnmowers,strimmers and just about anything else you use in the garden don't exactly help insects cause especially if there in the way of them

• Like 3

These #@%/&!-devices are a plague and I hope a general ban will come soon. The units are banned in some cities in Austria already, with fines up to 2500$ in case of use.

• Like 4

Good. Leave the leaves or pick them up by hand, the lazy b*****s. (b*****s as in humans,  not as in bugs). 

• Like 2

Those gasoline powered blowers are dangerous to the humans who use them as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Those gasoline powered blowers are dangerous to the humans who use them as well.

Not worried about them,  its the insects who matter here. :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Not worried about them,  its the insects who matter here. :P

I do worry about them.  When I lived in an apartment the landscaper would hire a bunch of guys to go around blowing the leaves from around the apartments into the parking lot and then they would sweep them up into bags.  They would work all day with the fumes blowing in their faces.  When they blew leaves away from my door my apartment would fill up with fumes.  I got so I would keep my door clean and then if I heard them getting close I would chase them away.  I also told them to tell their boss that he was damaging their health.  They just thought I was the crazy lady.  Maybe I am, but still, people need to start paying attention.

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

They have a volume up to 115db! A few month ago a gardener worked with a blower in the garden in front of the house I`m living in (3rt floor) at 6:45 a.m. So I filed a bucket with 10 liter of water and gave the guy a hidden shower for free. The blower stopped, there was shouting for one minute (85db) and he left. Since then, the moron is using the throttle of the blower very carefully.

• Haha 1

Anything that kills spiders and insects around your home is a good thing imo,they have the rest of the yard to live in.Sorry but deadly spiders and wasps aren't on my "preserve" list.

4 hours ago, openozy said:

Anything that kills spiders and insects around your home is a good thing imo,they have the rest of the yard to live in.Sorry but deadly spiders and wasps aren't on my "preserve" list.

Ok, the situation may vary in Papua New Guinea.

55 minutes ago, toast said:

Ok, the situation may vary in Papua New Guinea.

A little South of there.