Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Witnessing the first hydrogen bomb test

Eldorado

"In the summer of 1952, Alan Jones, an industrious redhead with an impish smile, yearned for excitement and adventure. He drove down the California coast from Berkeley to La Jolla, hoping to join an oceanographic expedition heading to the South Pacific.

"It wasn't until he was preparing to board the Scripps Institution of Oceanography's research vessel, a rusty old tuna hauler called the Horizon, that he discovered the mission involved more than mapping the ocean floor: The crew of Ph.D.s and handy guys like Jones, who "could fix things," was going to the Marshall Islands to record waves generated by the world's first hydrogen bomb.

"Six months later, on Nov. 1, after watching an island get vaporized, Jones and the crew on the Horizon were doused in a shower of radioactive fallout. It was an incident that lowered Jones' ability to produce blood platelets for two years, he believes, and he now wonders whether it possibly caused developmental disabilities in a son born later, as well as his wife's miscarriages and stillbirths."

Full article at Phys Org: https://phys.org/news/2019-11-marshall-islands-nuclear.html

• Like 5

and then

"The Second World War closed, as had no previous major war in history, with all the weapons at hand for the Final World War."

"Man, have pity on man"

Edward Jablonski from "AIRWAR"

I read his history of the airwar in WWII when I was 12.  I still think of some of his allusions and his wordcraft in giving life to the anecdotes and statistics that brought that colossal struggle alive for a kid my age, not quite 25years after the fact.  

He couldn't have foreseen the advance of technology but I believe this quote will prove correct.  We will come very close to ending ourselves off this rock using the power of the atom someday.  Man have pity on man, indeed.

• Like 4

Hankenhunter

And to this day, Bikini Atoll is still a highly radioactive hot spot too dangerous to set foot on. So, well done, I guess.

• Like 3