Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Rats’ nests are full of treasures

Still Waters

The materials that rats collect and store in their nests, from naturally occurring items like sticks and seeds to human creations like trinkets and tchotchkes, are a treasure trove for scientists and historians alike.

Pack rats, also known as wood rats, are notorious for collecting an odd assortment of items from their surroundings to make their nests, called middens. Although pack rats are similarly sized to their city-dwelling brown and black rat cousins, they have bushy (not hairless) tails and belong to the genus Neotoma rather than Rattus. These stockpiling rodents tend to only range 100 to 150 feet from their middens, collecting items from about a 50-foot radius. Pack rats will gather everything from plants and branches to insects and bones, which they pack into their middens. While you might not expect such materials to survive for very long, pack rats also have a special trick to conserve their haul: urine.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/archaeological-treasures-hidden-rat-nests-180973544/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Stiff

Some of the pack rats that live on some of our council estates use exactly the same processes.  'Cept these ones are two legged.

• Haha 2

Eldorado
3 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Some of the pack rats that live on some of our council estates use exactly the same processes.  'Cept these ones are two legged.

Betcha their treasures are nothing like the ones our upper middle class pack rats have.

• Like 1

Stiff
1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

Betcha their treasures are nothing like the ones our upper middle class pack rats have.

No, but I bet they don't use half as much urine to conserve them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eldorado
Just now, Stiff said:

No, but I bet they don't use half as much urine to conserve them.

Nope. They use BS.

• Haha 2

freetoroam

Yes,  to the rats.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not Your Huckleberry

Damn squirrels, too. They're just tree rats, anyway. We found an Omega Seamaster watch probably worth $5000 in a squirrel nest at the zoo just recently. We were able to locate the owner, thankfully. 

I'm sorry, but I've seriously lost compassion for squirrels since I've started working at the zoo, ironically. I could shoot a baby squirrel in the mouth and not feel a thing. I hope I accidentally hit one in my golf cart. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry

Ashotep

They also have loads of bacteria in them so I wouldn't go sniffing around in one of their nests for anything.