Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

governor’s race in Louisiana

Unusual Tournament

Nail-biter governor’s race in Louisiana reaches final hours

In a race that has become a nail-biter, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards battled Saturday to defy the partisan odds in the ruby red South and win reelection to a seat that President Donald Trump desperately wants returned to Republicans.

https://wtop.com/national/2019/11/louisiana-voters-pick-between-democratic-governor-and-trump/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Now refresh my memory. Louisiana is a red state, right ? 

Yep. It's also one of the most corrupt. Go Blue!

• Like 1

This is not a good test, IMO. John Bel is a very conservative sort of dem and generally popular across the party lines. Outside of New Orleans the state is conservative, and John Bel is alright. His taxation sucks but he balanced the budget and is doing well with a mess so I am unsure he will get replaced. I am not even sure I want him to be replaced, speaking as a conservative sort myself.  We'll see. 

I don't LIKE him, he is dirty, but all politicians in this state get that way pretty quick. On the whole he doing a decent job, IMO, so why replace him?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hankenhunter said:

Yep. It's also one of the most corrupt. Go Blue!

according to the article Trump has invested heavily in this one. The last elections in Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky were a rout for the republicans lets see if Trump can hold Louisiana. Te fact that its a close contest speaks volumes on Trumps popularity. So yeah go Blue ! 

3 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

This is not a good test, IMO. John Bel is a very conservative sort of dem and generally popular across the party lines. Outside of New Orleans the state is conservative, and John Bel is alright. His taxation sucks but he balanced the budget and is doing well with a mess so I am unsure he will get replaced. I am not even sure I want him to be replaced, speaking as a conservative sort myself.  We'll see. 

I don't LIKE him, he is dirty, but all politicians in this state get that way pretty quick. On the whole he doing a decent job, IMO, so why replace him?

But Trump is campaigning against John Bel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

according to the article Trump has invested heavily in this one. The last elections in Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky were a rout for the republicans lets see if Trump can hold Louisiana. Te fact that its a close contest speaks volumes on Trumps popularity. So yeah go Blue ! 

I'm hoping the trump curse holds true. He's batting 000 so far. Lol

• Like 1

Don't forget Rat Nagin. He literally robbed and killed during Katrina with his incompetence.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/28/meet-americas-most-crooked-politicians.html

He became the public face of a battered city after HurricaneKatrina hit New Orleans in 2005. But when the city recently marked the tenthanniversary of the storm, Ray Nagin was nowhere to be seen. That's because theformer mayor is serving a ten-year federal prison sentence for corruptionbefore, during, and after Katrina. What his scam lacks in dollars compared tosome of the other Great American frauds, it makes up for in audacity. At a timewhen his city needed help the most, Nagin used the disaster as a revenuesource. He installed an associate as the city's "chief technology officer,"gaining control over millions of dollars in no-bid city contracts for thingslike computer systems and crime cameras. And Nagin used his position as mayorto steer redevelopment business to a granite company he owned with his sons.Perhaps worst of all, he let his city down during its darkest hour.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

speaks volumes on Trumps popularity

I keep seeing this claim and find it really strange because nobody cares but the small noisy percentage of leftist wierdoes who are obsessed with Trump. Trump coming here was a novelty, a President hasn't come up north in the state in a long time, but at the end of the day nobody cares, and it comes down to do we like what John Bel has done for 4 years or not. Nobody cares what Russia says, nobody cares what the medias says, and this disconnect is exactly how the polls were wrong before and probably will be again given nothing has changed at all but the passage of 4 more years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Not A Rockstar said:

I keep seeing this claim and find it really strange because nobody cares but the small noisy percentage of leftist wierdoes who are obsessed with Trump. Trump coming here was a novelty, a President hasn't come up north in the state in a long time, but at the end of the day nobody cares, and it comes down to do we like what John Bel has done for 4 years or not. Nobody cares what Russia says, nobody cares what the medias says, and this disconnect is exactly how the polls were wrong before and probably will be again given nothing has changed at all but the passage of 4 more years. 

You may be right. Still we have an impeachment inquiry at the moment and a right wing red state that hasnt bought into the Trump narrative. Thats got to be worth something to the democrats. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

So you're saying that Louisiana will vote status quo?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

In Pennsylvania I guess you are talking about the special election that was to fill the vacancy left by Tim Murphy resigning which saw Connor Lamb win 49.9% to 49.5% while Connor Lamb essentially ran as a Republican in everything but name.  Hard to call that a rout.

In Kentucky the only significant Democrat win was the governor race where Andy Beshear won 49.2% to 48.8%, with the Republican's won everything else normally by 10% to 20% margins.  Once again hardly a rout.

Virginia has been turning blue for years now and the Democrats have kept about the same margins they have for years so dont see how that is a rout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

So you're saying that Louisiana will vote status quo?

I am saying Trump doesn't affect the results. Not here if Eddie wins, nor elsewhere where dems won. The average Joe on the street is sick of the years of wasted time and fighting and aren't listening to DC anymore. Trump won down here because he was the alternative to Hillary who was loathed. He will win this state again if the best the dems have to offer are the hysterics running now. 

ATM Eddie is on track to blow John Bel out the door with 1% counted but we'll see. John Bel isn't bad or even very dem but he did jack taxes up stupid. I mean 10% even on basic food necessities. On the other hand, he fixed the budget (which wasn't that bad if it got fixed that fast IMO).

I have been working on a Senator's staff and race for some months so am fairly aware of what is going on in the state, but nobody KNOWS, nor should they. Each voter decides and while we love a good party or appearance, in the end we vote our best choice same as anyone else. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I am saying Trump doesn't affect the results. Not here if Eddie wins, nor elsewhere where dems won. The average Joe on the street is sick of the years of wasted time and fighting and aren't listening to DC anymore. Trump won down here because he was the alternative to Hillary who was loathed. He will win this state again if the best the dems have to offer are the hysterics running now. 

ATM Eddie is on track to blow John Bel out the door with 1% counted but we'll see. John Bel isn't bad or even very dem but he did jack taxes up stupid. I mean 10% even on basic food necessities. On the other hand, he fixed the budget (which wasn't that bad if it got fixed that fast IMO).

I have been working on a Senator's staff and race for some months so am fairly aware of what is going on in the state, but nobody KNOWS, nor should they. Each voter decides and while we love a good party or appearance, in the end we vote our best choice same as anyone else. 

Well stated. Good luck to your pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

In Pennsylvania I guess you are talking about the special election that was to fill the vacancy left by Tim Murphy resigning which saw Connor Lamb win 49.9% to 49.5% while Connor Lamb essentially ran as a Republican in everything but name.  Hard to call that a rout.

In Kentucky the only significant Democrat win was the governor race where Andy Beshear won 49.2% to 48.8%, with the Republican's won everything else normally by 10% to 20% margins.  Once again hardly a rout.

Virginia has been turning blue for years now and the Democrats have kept about the same margins they have for years so dont see how that is a rout.

At a rally in Kentucky Monday for GOP Gov. Matt Bevin's re-election campaign, Trump said a loss would send "a really bad message."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/11/05/todays-elections-sneak-preview-2020/4102861002/

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

At a rally in Kentucky Monday for GOP Gov. Matt Bevin's re-election campaign, Trump said a loss would send "a really bad message."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/11/05/todays-elections-sneak-preview-2020/4102861002/

Still doesnt change the fact that Bevin was potentially the least popular governor in America and had essentially no support from the Republicans other then Trump.

The fact the election for a guy who was hated by both Democrats and Republicans got so close to winning says a lot more then the fact that he lost.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Trump said a loss would send "a really bad message."

ROFLMAO

You know, I actually like you Cap'n but you never ever believe anything else Trump says so why do you take this as anything serious? It is just smack talk to try to get out the vote. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Now refresh my memory. Louisiana is a red state, right ? 

As with most southern states, it tends to be Conservative outside the major metro areas.  Those areas - think Austin and Dallas in Texas - tend to be overwhelmingly Democrat.  Either way, the folks in Louisiana are some of the best I've ever known or worked with.  They also happen to play a damned fine game of football (grrr).  

I'm curious Risky.  You aren't from here and achieve no real benefit from our politics, yeah?  I guess I understand the mania about Trump.  It seems like the most popular blood sport in decades.  But that silliness aside, what do you think will happen in America if/when a single political party manages to so control the electoral college map that there is no longer the chance for balance or any real opposition to that party?

This is a serious question.  Think about that and respond please.  I'd like to know what you believe America will be like in such a scenario.  It is a VERY REAL possibility.  As you said, Louisiana is a "Red state" (for now) so you obviously understand how the electoral college map will affect us once one party gains dominance that could only be broken by a total paradigm shift that just isn't likely.

Just now, DarkHunter said:

Still doesnt change the fact that Bevin was potentially the least popular governor in America and had essentially no support from the Republicans other then Trump.

The fact the election for a guy who was hated by both Democrats and Republicans got so close to winning says a lot more then the fact that he lost.

Trump and the republicans are struggling. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Captain Risky said:

Trump and the republicans are struggling. 

What evidence do you have that they are struggling, everything you said that was a rout wasnt

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

ROFLMAO

You know, I actually like you Cap'n but you never ever believe anything else Trump says so why do you take this as anything serious? It is just smack talk to try to get out the vote. 

Well you can still like me, even if i have an opposing view. Trump is very economical with the truth. If you wanna believe him thats okay. But when Trump makes claims that his daughter Ivanka created 14 million jobs it sorta puts everything Trump says under the microscope.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

it sorta puts everything Trump says under the microscope.

That's part of the disconnect the anti-Trump types struggle with.  He has been blustering and riffing in front of audiences for years and they have no trouble understanding him for who he is.  When your first instinct is to always try to find a way to denigrate the man then you will be tuned to listening to him like a lawyer.  He isn't a lawyer.  He's an entertainer with an outsized ego and a love for this country.  His supporters understand that and accept the noise as the cost of doing good things for the country.  

If you take everything a man says and always inspect it under a microscope, parsing every word and scrutinizing every act to find criminality, you just might be obsessed.  And here's the thing... it doesn't seem to bother the man at all.  I used to think that was an act but after 3 years I believe he really IS that impervious to the hate.  He actually seems to get energy from it.  Damnedest thing I've ever seen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, and then said:

As with most southern states, it tends to be Conservative outside the major metro areas.  Those areas - think Austin and Dallas in Texas - tend to be overwhelmingly Democrat.  Either way, the folks in Louisiana are some of the best I've ever known or worked with.  They also happen to play a damned fine game of football (grrr).  

I'm curious Risky.  You aren't from here and achieve no real benefit from our politics, yeah?  I guess I understand the mania about Trump.  It seems like the most popular blood sport in decades.  But that silliness aside, what do you think will happen in America if/when a single political party manages to so control the electoral college map that there is no longer the chance for balance or any real opposition to that party?

This is a serious question.  Think about that and respond please.  I'd like to know what you believe America will be like in such a scenario.  It is a VERY REAL possibility.  As you said, Louisiana is a "Red state" (for now) so you obviously understand how the electoral college map will affect us once one party gains dominance that could only be broken by a total paradigm shift that just isn't likely.

LOL... look buddy I'm not going away. Either work in with me or suffer. We're talking about Trump. Trump's reelection campaign doesn't look good. You can pretend it doesn't matter and you and can talk about political balance all you like. If i can see through Trumps lies and exaggerations, the electorate can also. and it seems they have. Everything is a see saw. I don't see how American democracy is at risk from a Trump loss. There's a season for everything and its the democrats spring. Will the collage system fall. No i don't think so but the shifting states that voted Trump in 2016 don't look like they'll vote for him again. Louisiana might stay red but the fact that it looks like its struggling to support Trump is telling.  

15 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

What evidence do you have that they are struggling, everything you said that was a rout wasnt

So what your saying is that Trump hasnt suffered any visible signs of damage from 3 years ago?