Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat-Earth conspiracy spreading around globe

The Eternal Flame

2 minutes ago, DanL said:

I am not surprised that the numbers of flat-earthers is growing. People are getting stupider at an ever-increasing rate. These people wallow in ignorance and are the ones that believe every stupid e-mail scam that comes their way. they don't bother me at all. I just look at them like I would a 30-year old that still believes in Santa Claus. Their gene pool is so shallow that unless they have totally flat feet they can't get their arches wet.

Remember the emails that were passed around over and over about the post office charging 5 cents and email?   Those people who believed that email are the ones who are not the flat earthers.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2019 at 5:21 PM, highdesert50 said:

Flat earther mentality clearly points to a political career.

Yup, grifting as a political career. 

• Like 1

It's the new "reality." 

Up is down, right is left, and everyone decides their own "truth." 

Oh, and you'd better not tell them it's stupid, because no one wants to be bothered with facts anymore. 

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2019 at 8:14 PM, Desertrat56 said:

We can't blame this on Betsy, she has only been ruining things since 2017.

Ok, then please tell me what she has improved in the last 3 years.

9 hours ago, toast said:

Ok, then please tell me what she has improved in the last 3 years.

Not a damn thing, notice I said "she has only been ruining things..."  Not a typo, the I is intentional.  My point is most of the stuff listed has been going on a couple of decades or more, it has just been more subtle than it is now with dumb betsy ruining it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that majority of that people is just disappointed and disgusted by system, governments, elitism and to support "flat Earth" absurdity is their way of showing their disgust. World is indeed in radically bad shape.

In every pseudo or alternative movement, theory etc it's supporters are always going by ''they lie to us'', ''they do not want us to know the truth'' etc.

Situation like this is kind of fruitful ground for a lot of movements and possible unity among them which might be the spark that will make the world and this way of life to implode. If they all agree that it's about ''them'' in the end.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mutant lizard people that live millions of miles underground, developing technology for our Illumanity Overlords!

I bet they also control sea levels!

:lol:

But they are getting closer, or more desperate.

Now this is what experts at denial, and psychoses can achieve!

:P

Edited by tmcom

His ex-wife thinks that he is mentally ill, smart wife, sorry ex.

He has been involved with this rubbish for so long he can't think any other way, a case in point for other wacko concepts with overwhelming evidence against it.

:huh:

Edited by tmcom

Back in the day nonsense like this was harder to spread. Now almost the entire world is accessible 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. I think the rise of smartphones and increased accessibility to the internet has taken us all by surprise and we are having trouble adjusting.

37 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Back in the day nonsense like this was harder to spread. Now almost the entire world is accessible 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. I think the rise of smartphones and increased accessibility to the internet has taken us all by surprise and we are having trouble adjusting.

Back in '84 I read a book called The Third Wave by Toffler on a train from Colorado to LA. He predicted nearly everything that's happening culturally now in our information age. I remember not being able to get my head around it back then since computers were still something that either took up an entire room or were built in someone's garage. The idea of everyone having personal computing power connected to each other 7/24 was too far out there for my young mind to grasp.

35 years later it's astonishing how spot on he was when it comes to our art and culture. He predicted that instead of increased information sharing creating a celebration and understanding of cultural diversity, that it would have the opposite effect of creating homogeneous art and literature and echo chambers of thought. 

He also predicted that information would become the largest commodity on the planet. I lacked the ability to understand how that could be possible back then too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Calibeliever said:

Back in '84 I read a book called The Third Wave by Toffler on a train from Colorado to LA. He predicted nearly everything that's happening culturally now in our information age. I remember not being able to get my head around it back then since computers were still something that either took up an entire room or were built in someone's garage. The idea of everyone having personal computing power connected to each other 7/24 was too far out there for my young mind to grasp.

35 years later it's astonishing how spot on he was when it comes to our art and culture. He predicted that instead of increased information sharing creating a celebration and understanding of cultural diversity, that it would have the opposite effect of creating homogeneous art and literature and echo chambers of thought. 

He also predicted that information would become the largest commodity on the planet. I lacked the ability to understand how that could be possible back then too. 

Heading to Amazon to make a purchase now. Thanks for the book suggestion!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robotic Jew said:

Back in the day nonsense like this was harder to spread.

That is certainly true. Back in the day you had to actively seek out information about things like flat Earth, now you just Google it. 

1 hour ago, Robotic Jew said:

Now almost the entire world is accessible 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. I think the rise of smartphones and increased accessibility to the internet has taken us all by surprise and we are having trouble adjusting.

People have to (re)learn how to verify information themselves. Google gives us a lot of information, but it does not tell us if its true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calibeliever said:

Interesting.  I read his gook Future Shock in the 70's and from what I remember of that one he missed the mark by miles, but he was focused then on disposable clothing.  That's what I remember and I am sure now if I read it again I would see that he was not just talking about clothes but everything, a disposable society, which is what we have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

That is certainly true. Back in the day you had to actively seek out information about things like flat Earth, now you just Google it. 

People have to (re)learn how to verify information themselves. Google gives us a lot of information, but it does not tell us if its true.

This is one of the problems I have with the likes of Alexa. We ask a question, we get an answer. But how do we know the answer is correct .... ?

3 minutes ago, Essan said:

This is one of the problems I have with the likes of Alexa. We ask a question, we get an answer. But how do we know the answer is correct .... ?

Maybe if it would help if you remember that Alexa is an internet search engine, not an AI and if the information is questionable or incomplete you can re-word your request and see if something different pops up, but it is no different than searching with google or mozilla.  You still have to wade through the information you get.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe if it would help if you remember that Alexa is an internet search engine, not an AI and if the information is questionable or incomplete you can re-word your request and see if something different pops up, but it is no different than searching with google or mozilla.  You still have to wade through the information you get.

It's an age old dilemma. Even when our source was the library, you had to be aware that bias influenced the information you were reading. Of course a printed (reference) book had to go through editing and some sort of peer review whereas a lot of sources on the internet of course don't, but It isn't a new problem. I heard a professor give a 15 minute spiel on this many years ago. "You gotta check the check", was a favorite saying of his. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 4:50 PM, The Eternal Flame said:
November 17, 2019 (CNN)  "I don't want to be a flat Earther," David Weiss says, his voice weary as he reflects on his personal awakening. "Would you wake up in the morning and want everyone to think you're an idiot?"
But Weiss is a flat Earther. Ever since he tried and failed to find proof of the Earth's curve four years ago, he's believed with an evident passion that our planet is both flat and stationary -- and it's turned his world upside down.

All from taking the most literal meaning in the Bible of four corners of the word instead of reading it figuratively.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:50 AM, The Eternal Flame said:
November 17, 2019 (CNN)  "I don't want to be a flat Earther," David Weiss says, his voice weary as he reflects on his personal awakening. "Would you wake up in the morning and want everyone to think you're an idiot?"
But Weiss is a flat Earther. Ever since he tried and failed to find proof of the Earth's curve four years ago, he's believed with an evident passion that our planet is both flat and stationary -- and it's turned his world upside down.

How can a flat earth theory spread AROUND the World?:D

peace

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Calibeliever said:

It's an age old dilemma. Even when our source was the library, you had to be aware that bias influenced the information you were reading. Of course a printed (reference) book had to go through editing and some sort of peer review whereas a lot of sources on the internet of course don't, but It isn't a new problem. I heard a professor give a 15 minute spiel on this many years ago. "You gotta check the check", was a favorite saying of his. 

You make a very good point.  Research multiple documents from multiple sources and determine what the bias is on each source.

This reminds me of my second grade when the teacher gave us the history books and told us we would be reading chapters one through three and we were not to look at four.  Of course I looked to see what four was and it was a chapter about the "hero" Custer, who was not a hero but a disobedient crazy man who got 200 men killed.   Even when text books are edited there is a bias, what ever bias the authorities that choose the text books for the class rooms have is in those text books.  That is one reason the U.S. federal government created a standardized curriculum and all states have to follow it but they have a lot of leeway because the feds are very loose with their standards, reading, writing and math basics.  The rest is up to the state and county so you could have your child in one school and move to the next county and they will have totally different text books that cover different things or represent history differently.

• Like 2