Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Machete attack on 13yr-old Ulster girl

Eldorado

"A 13-year-old girl is in critical condition after thugs armed with machetes broke into her home in Northern Ireland and attacked her.

"Several men armed with large blades were said to have forced entry into her house in Lisnaskea, County Fermanagh at 9pm on Saturday.

"The unnamed teenager suffered several serious wounds in the attack and is now in a nearby hospital."

At yahoo News UK: https://uk.yahoo.com/news/lisnaskea-machete-attack-northern-ireland-153232782.html

At Belfast Live: https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/lisnaskea-attempted-murder-incident-leaves-17270524?

:no:

• Sad 4

What a horrific thing to go through.

But what was the purpose of the attack? It seems weird that they entered the home just to attack the two females. They could have killed them, but didn't. No mention in the articles of a robbery or other possible motive. Were the women known to them? Were they hired to attack them? It will be interesting to see what the investigators come up with. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

But what was the purpose of the attack? It seems weird that they entered the home just to attack the two females. They could have killed them, but didn't. No mention in the articles of a robbery or other possible motive. Were the women known to them? Were they hired to attack them? It will be interesting to see what the investigators come up with. 

Two ideas that popped into my head were drug/ loan shark enforcers asking for money or religious "problems" are starting to grow again. :hmm:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Two ideas that popped into my head were drug/ loan shark enforcers asking for money or religious "problems" are starting to grow again. :hmm:

Possibly. Vindictive ex-partner was what popped into my head. That and a bunch of sadistic holligans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She had probably opened her mouth about things she shouldn't have or had been speaking to the wrong people, the areas known for trouble in the past, i think the police were shot at a couple of years back. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

They never really stopped.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Terrible thing for a young girl to go through. It seems she was the target of the attack as the woman only had a stab wound on her leg. Thankfully the baby was untouched.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Drugs is the first thing that came to my mind. The MO doesn't really fit the religious problems avenue. Usually attacks of this nature, which are more frequent against (young) adults are carried out by persons in ones own community. hence drugs/money or

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

She had probably opened her mouth about things she shouldn't have or had been speaking to the wrong people, the areas known for trouble in the past, i think the police were shot at a couple of years back. 

is a possibility. I am presuming here  @hetrodoxlyis referring to 'informing' the authorities.

Its unusual even in NI for girls so young to be targeted though. Very sad that we live in a society where some think its Okay to carry out such hideous attacks. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Drugs is the first thing that came to my mind. The MO doesn't really fit the religious problems avenue. Usually attacks of this nature, which are more frequent against (young) adults are carried out by persons in ones own community. hence drugs/money or

is a possibility. I am presuming here  @hetrodoxlyis referring to 'informing' the authorities.

Its unusual even in NI for girls so young to be targeted though. Very sad that we live in a society where some think its Okay to carry out such hideous attacks. 

Yes, having a big mouth is a dangerous thing, i don't think anything is to vile for them, considering they tortured and murdered a mother of 10, her children never had a body to bury as it was disposed of on a beach, young girls had their heads shaved hot tar and feathers poured over them before being tied to a lamppost, just for talking to young soldiers, i put nothing past them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

Yes, having a big mouth is a dangerous thing, i don't think anything is to vile for them, considering they tortured and murdered a mother of 10, her children never had a body to bury as it was disposed of on a beach, young girls had their heads shaved hot tar and feathers poured over them before being tied to a lamppost, just for talking to young soldiers, i put nothing past them.  

Atrocities happened / happen on both sides. talking to soldiers / police, going out with catholics or protestants depending, going to the wrong disco, taking a wrong turn into the wrong street, having an innocent drink in a local pub, drinking with the other 'side', or having the 'wrong' accent or name were often lethal. 

And in some cases it wasn't even the paramilitaries to be feared - you mention shaving and tying to a lamppost - I remember a mother doing that to her own daughter (thankfully she left out the tarring) for going out with a man from the other side. Despite her mother, she married him anyway.

While we know that the real evil was carried out by the paramilitaries, it was endemic, too few deplored the atrocities their side committed, after all it, if it was their side, they concluded, - it must be justified - retribution if nought else. And many were happy to hand out a beating to the 'opposition' - provided they had numbers on their side - and perceived anonymity.

I have lived in NI all my life, I have lived in protestant areas, catholic areas and mixed areas and I can tell you no side has a monopoly on brutally or victim hood. But things are changing there are more mixed marriages, more tolerance for opposing views, and more if yet not enough rejection of violent solutions.  We must never go back!

On a better note I moved to the area I live in now many years back, and was struck on visiting a local bar to see young lads watching a Rangers / Celtic match - wearing their respective team's jerseys - and buying each other drinks. I think that was, at the time, the best sign of hope I'd seen. It still brings a smile to my face.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was in Northern Ireland border country a few week back, my wife had a tee shirt on that had red, white and blue in the pattern on it (my wife's southern Irish catholic) words were said about her t shirt in the pub believe it or not and we were advised to leave. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

I was in Northern Ireland border country a few week back, my wife had a tee shirt on that had red, white and blue in the pattern on it (my wife's southern Irish catholic) words were said about her t shirt in the pub believe it or not and we were advised to leave. 

2019 and this sh1t still goes on.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Still going on in Scotland too.  :(

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Yep, my wife was visiting her fathers birthplace, while there went to the famine museum the guy doing the tour or talk really laid into them about brexit.

• Like 1

There was a plan to merge Desertmartin Primary with nearby Knocknagin Primary to be managed by the Church of Ireland and Catholic Church.

Jointly managed school would be a first for Northern Ireland

Just thought I'd add this here to show some movement towards a better future.

Desertmartin Primary School to close despite historic merger plans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50459892

Although agreement comes too late for this school:

"Work on this document is currently ongoing, with revisions being invited from the four main church traditions.

"Once finalised, the agreed statement will then form the basis of any future JMCS projects in Northern Ireland.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2019 at 9:34 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Some people are a bit idealistic about the situation in Ireland. They think the 'troubles' have gone away and the IRA have disbanded and returned to their day jobs, when in fact they have honed their murderous skills & moved on to organized crime & easy money.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Some people are a bit idealistic about the situation in Ireland. They think the 'troubles' have gone away and the IRA have disbanded and returned to their day jobs, when in fact they have honed their murderous skills & moved on to organized crime & easy money.

Idealistic yes. Also naive. And in my case, both. Not about the existence of the IRA, but the fact that (if indeed they were involved in this case) they wouldn't attack a 13 year old girl. One would think (or hope at least) that no matter how 'murderous' some people are, they would stop short of attacking a child. But yeah, I know, children are injured, battered and/or killed all the time. It's horrifying to know what some people are capable of.

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

At the general level that ^ is fair enough. But the republican paramilitaries and the loyalist paramilitaries have long been involved drugs and easy money, extorting and controlling their own communities. And you can be assured that where their interests converge that they co-operate.  

Edited by RAyMO