Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nine Shot In Fresno

susieice

Again in California. Nine members of a family who had gathered to watch a football game were shot in Fresno Sunday night. Some have passed on. Police have not released much information yet. This is still a breaking story.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/nine-shot-multiple-killed-family-gathering-fresno-california-n1084706

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Fresno news says several people were killed and nine were wounded. Police are on the scene.

https://www.fresnobee.com/latest-news/article237473114.html

Police are calling this a mass casualty shooting. Some of the wounded are in critical condition. The shooter(s) snuck into a backyard where people were gathered to watch a football game and opened fire. Not clear if they are saying the deceased are included in the nine wounded.

https://abc30.com/police-searching-for-gunman-who-shot-at-fresno-family-watching-tv/5704122/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

CNN just posted at least 10 were shot, 4 fatally. They are saying only one shooter. The headlines in the previous links are all changing now. The ten shot were in the backyard. About 35 people were inside the house and were unharmed. None of the remaining 6 wounded are critical. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/us/fresno-mass-shooting-football-party/index.html

https://abc30.com/police-searching-for-gunman-who-shot-at-fresno-family-watching-tv/5704122/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

This article has more info. It says all the victims were Asian men between the ages of 25 and 35. A neighbor told police another house had been shot at last week. Police are going door to door looking for home surveillance tapes or witnesses who may be able to identify a suspect or a vehicle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/11/18/shooting-backyard-party-injures-least-nine-kills-multiple-people-fresno-california/

A man who lives nearby said another home was shot last week, spurring fear about gunfire in the neighborhood.

“It makes me feel unsafe to be outside when the sun’s down,” Choua Vang told the Bee. “We’re thinking about moving out of the neighborhood.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The LA Times says they were between 25-30 yrs old. There were children present in the house and none were harmed.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-17/nine-wounded-in-shooting-at-fresno-backyard-party-police-say

The updated Fresno Bee confirms the victims were all Asian males and the shooting was reported shortly before 8 pm. Some sites are saying 6 pm. Confusion like this isn't unusual in breaking news stories. 

https://www.fresnobee.com/latest-news/article237473114.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Police are now saying these people were likely targeted but they do not know why. They also aren't saying if these shootings could be related to one earlier that day when a young man in his 20's was shot and killed in Fresno.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/nine-shot-multiple-killed-family-gathering-fresno-california-n1084706

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fresno-mass-shooting-4-killed-6-wounded-in-shooting-at-backyard-football-viewing-party-in-california/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Katniss said:

This is interesting. Is it gang related?

I'm wondering because there was another shooting at a Halloween party about three hours away from Frenso 2 weeks ago and they think it was gang related.

Five arrested in connection with deadly California Halloween party shooting

Police are just saying this party was targeted but aren't giving any motive. I kind of thought it may be gang related too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well lets see, armed look out on the streets, rival gangs in the house, armed victims, victims and shooters had criminal records,   pretty clear, gangs were involved

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No big whoop then, huh. Just typical criminals taking each other out.

Yeah the lack of white guys committing shooting rampages is killing the media's gun control agenda. I noticed the 3 networks are not even reporting potential mass shooter arrests anymore, local news sites only.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, aztek said:

well lets see, armed look out on the streets, rival gangs in the house, armed victims, victims and shooters had criminal records,   pretty clear, gangs were involved

That was in Katniss' link to a shooting at Halloween. None of this relates to the shooting last night. Police are not saying right now that the shooting last night is gang related. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Yeah the lack of white guys committing shooting rampages is killing the media's gun control agenda. I noticed the 3 networks are not even reporting potential mass shooter arrests anymore, local news sites only.

Read post above. Aztec responded to a post from a Halloween shooting. I found last night's shooting on all the networks when it was breaking news. They're posted here. I just prefer to look at local sites if possible.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/18/780477253/fresno-police-backyard-where-10-shot-likely-targeted-we-just-don-t-know-why

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

Read post above. Aztec responded to a post from a Halloween shooting. I found last night's shooting on all the networks when it was breaking news.

I know. But I'm thinking this is gang related too. I may be wrong, but sure seems like a gang/mafia thing to me. Like somebody ordered a hit or something.

Edited by Gunn
  • Like 1

Just now, Gunn said:

I know. But I'm thinking this is gang related too. I may be wrong, but sure seems like a gang/mafia thing to me

I agree with you. It smells like it's gang related but there is nothing being released to show that it is. California is full of gang activity. Including Asian gangs.

• Like 2

Kind of them to describe the victims as "Asian" ? 

I mean.. that's a third (or more) of the population of the world ? 

Pakistani's, Afghans, Indians, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, and many different version of Chinese. 

Why use such a vague description ? Unless something is afoot ? Is there something that the media do NOT want us to know about the victims ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gunn said:

I highly doubt it has to do with race. More likely, the reason that white mass shootings often receive more attention is because the ones featured have the person shooting up a large group of random strangers. It might or might not be right, but it's more of an unusual occurrence and therefore more of a story than black or Hispanic criminals killing other criminals. Indiscriminately shooting people will always be more shocking and news worthy, especially in the US where mass shootings and an extremely high murder rate are just a fixed part of your society.

With an average of over one mass shooting per day, I don't think the media need to wait on white people to further their gun control agenda. Actually, thinking about it, I don't have a clue what you mean about the 'white' thing. Why did you bring up race? Are you suggesting that there is a conspiracy against the white man in America? Is the white man being victimised again?

When will the persecution of our people ever end.

2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

With an average of over one mass shooting per day, I don't think the media need to wait on white people to further their gun control agenda.

Yeah that's the thing, most of what they report now is criminals/gangs shooting each other or a lover's quarrel gone bad. I doubt people in general, including anti-gun proponents, care all that much if a bunch of criminals knock each other off. That is what makes me suspicious as to why the media is all over these gang shootings all of the sudden after the FBI/local police started arresting potential mass shooters about 3 months ago. Although we've had a few school shootings/ lunatic shootings since then, but now they're getting few and far between and I think the media is getting desperate to report any kind of shooting, when they didn't bother all that much before.

I highly doubt it has to do with race. More likely, the reason that white mass shootings often receive more attention is because the ones featured have the person shooting up a large group of random strangers. It might or might not be right, but it's more of an unusual occurrence and therefore more of a story than black or Hispanic criminals killing other criminals. Indiscriminately shooting people will always be more shocking and news worthy, especially in the US where mass shootings and an extremely high murder rate are just a fixed part of your society.

Actually, thinking about it, I don't have a clue what you mean about the 'white' thing. Why did you bring up race? Are you suggesting that there is a conspiracy against the white man in America? Is the white man being victimised again?

Most of the high number mass shootings in the past were generally committed by men of caucasian origin, and that was focused on repeatedly the most in the news more then the thousands of gang related shootings across the country happening all at the same time, or any other kind of shooting (for example when a spouse shoots/murders another spouse or a drive-by shooting) where the motives were different. So they knew these higher numbers in mass shooting deaths, committed by lunatics, would get more attention then just a couple of gang shootings here and there across the country. Nothing racial about it, just facts.

When will the persecution of our people ever end.

You're reaching. You don't even know what race I am. I'm not white/caucasian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gunn said:

Yeah that's the thing, most of what they report now is criminals/gangs shooting each other or a lover's quarrel gone bad. I doubt people in general, including anti-gun proponents, care all that much if a bunch of criminals knock each other off. That is what makes me suspicious as to why the media is all over these gang shootings all of the sudden after the FBI/local police started arresting potential mass shooters about 3 months ago. Although we've had a few school shootings/ lunatic shootings since then, but now they're getting few and far between and I think the media is getting desperate to report any kind of shooting, when they didn't bother all that much before.

I know ABC did it again tonight. Three people were shot outside a Walmart in Oklahoma. There was a man and a woman in a car and another male approached the car and shot them. When an armed citizen approached the shooter, he turned the gun on himself. Right away ABC reported about how the Walmart that had the mass shooting in Texas a couple of months ago just reopened. It's a stretch to try and associate the two. The shooting in Oklahoma sounds a lot like a probable domestic incident. They were distinctly targets. It certainly doesn't relate to the one in Texas.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, susieice said:

I know ABC did it again tonight. Three people were shot outside a Walmart in Oklahoma. There was a man and a woman in a car and another male approached the car and shot them. When an armed citizen approached the shooter, he turned the gun on himself. Right away ABC reported about how the Walmart that had the mass shooting in Texas a couple of months ago just reopened. It's a stretch to try and associate the two. The shooting in Oklahoma sounds a lot like a probable domestic incident. They were distinctly targets. It certainly doesn't relate to the one in Texas.

Yeah I saw that too and that's exactly what I mean. Before the authorities got off their butts and starting doing something about these potential mass shooters, something like that type of shooting probably happened dozens of times during all these high number mass shootings. Yet the local town news was probably the only news groups that covered those type of incidents back then, while the 3 major networks were just focused on the high number mass shootings. Now we see they've changed their focus on those type of shooting incidents, relating to previous high number shooting incidents, all in order to keep the gun debate going on in the public. It just comes off desperate,pathetic and nefarious to me.

• Like 4

drive bys, gang shootings with more than 5 shot is pretty common in gang hoods,  but you'll never hear it, they also make lion's share of gun murders stats, something that no news  like to mention either

Edited by aztek
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, susieice said:

Oklahoma man shot his wife and her boyfriend before killing himself in Walmart parking lot

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-man-shot-wife-her-171737299.html

• Like 3

Comparing a domestic dispute with a mass shooting would be recognized by many as flame baiting. You see it in their websites too.

• Like 4

it was not even a mass shooting according to definition,  5 or more people have to be shot, (not necessarily  killed) to classify it as mass shooting

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Police have now ruled this a gang-related shooting.

https://6abc.com/shooting-that-left-4-dead-was-gang-related-fresno-police/5801854/?fbclid=IwAR39BNdEEW_vbGZBFPkBfsuyfL74trZZ7Dqb5-Ps6E52tQc7o28RCiXKQfQ

In a press conference held to give information on the shooting, Fresno Police Chief Andy Hall had announced a new Asian gang task force, in part, because of the upcoming Hmong holiday that draws thousands to Fresno every year.

"We haven't seen a spike in Asian gang violence in awhile. And we're starting to see it now as we're heading into the Hmong new year celebration. We just want to get ahead of it," Hall had said.

However, he was careful at the time to say he had no information connecting the victims to gangs.

Leaders in the Hmong community later expressed some concerns about the creation of the task force and the link it may suggest between the Hmong community and gangs.
  • Thanks 3