Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nicolas Cage on Bigfoot, Nessie and the Yeti

UM-Bot

So ...there you have it...

NOPE!  I am NOT going to post what Nick said...gotta read it for yourself!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's right! At least he has an educated opinion on the myths and not just parotting what everyone else says on TV... LOL

Rational and Nicholas Cage in the same sentence.

Who knew eh?

I agree with him...I would love it all to be real but I kind of know it isn't...

• Like 2

I can understand the belief in Big Foot since at one time he was real but as far as a modern day possibility, I find it highly unlikely. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, GhostBreakers said:

I can understand the belief in Big Foot since at one time he was real but as far as a modern day possibility, I find it highly unlikely. 

How do you know bigfoot ever existed?

Because Gigantopithecus Blacki was a real animal proven by Archeology and science. Although they only have a piece of jaw and a lot of teeth, they have been able to give an educated theory as to what it possibly looked like. Granted it lived in China, 100,000 years ago but the fact remains, it did exist. Could a breeding population have made it across the Bearing land bridge and make a stand in North America? That is a stretch since there would have been no reason for the animal to migrate anyway.

However, for a breeding population to exist for 100,000 years into modern times seems unlikely and even if possible, it wouldn't have gone undetected until now except for an occasional sighting by Billy Joe Bob. 

The-REAL-Bigfoot.jpg

Edited by GhostBreakers
  • Like 1

Given celebrities know all, shall we now look at Tom Cruise and John Travolta's views on religion?

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Given celebrities know all, shall we now look at Tom Cruise and John Travolta's views on religion?

They're still stuck in the closet give them time.:tsu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GhostBreakers said:

Because Gigantopithecus Blacki was a real animal proven by Archeology and science. Although they only have a piece of jaw and a lot of teeth, they have been able to give an educated theory as to what it possibly looked like. Granted it lived in China, 100,000 years ago but the fact remains, it did exist. Could a breeding population have made it across the Bearing land bridge and make a stand in North America? That is a stretch since there would have been no reason for the animal to migrate anyway.

However, for a breeding population to exist for 100,000 years into modern times seems unlikely and even if possible, it wouldn't have gone undetected until now except for an occasional sighting by Billy Joe Bob. 

The-REAL-Bigfoot.jpg

Yea it's not proof that bigfoot existed. I just looked and scientists are unsure whether or not they were bipedal or walked like gorillas. They're making assumptions of jaw bones.

Apart from that it's still interesting though.

• Like 2

I know what you are saying but the point is the size, not how it walked, etc. It was Big Foot, large ape like creature, regardless of what people want to call it. 

Big Foot has no lineage, no physical remains or any evidence to date. So if there is to be any type of credible investigating, it should be done with what evidence there is and work from there. In my opinion, if BF was ever thought to have existed, then it is more likely than not, it evolved from a Gigantopithecus Blacki. Those are the only facts we have to go on.

4 hours ago, GhostBreakers said:

I know what you are saying but the point is the size, not how it walked, etc. It was Big Foot, large ape like creature, regardless of what people want to call it. 

Big Foot has no lineage, no physical remains or any evidence to date. So if there is to be any type of credible investigating, it should be done with what evidence there is and work from there. In my opinion, if BF was ever thought to have existed, then it is more likely than not, it evolved from a Gigantopithecus Blacki. Those are the only facts we have to go on.

I have read where some scientists feel that G blacki was in the size range of modern day gorilla, but with a very large chewing apparatus (which could be supported to some extent from precedents in the known fossil record). There seems very few who accept it as being bipedal. It is generally thought to have been closer to a large Orang utan. That doesn't sound very bigfoot.

• Like 1

Gigantopithecus is certainly not related to bigfoot nor would it have resembled traditional descriptions of bigfoot. This is a subject I’ve discussed at length before so I won’t waste too much time on it here. A recent proteomic analysis has confirmed that Gigantopithecus is closest to orangutans and not humans. It’s now widely thought to have been quadrupedal due to its large mass, and past arguments for bipedality are highly flawed. It could not have migrated to North America due to the lack of suitable plants to eat in Beringia. In short, all modern scientific studies refute the idea that Gigantopithecus is connected to bigfoot.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, GhostBreakers said:

Nah fella. It's not facts or evidence pointing to bigfoot. It's just your misinterpretation.

How do you figure, misinterpretation. Gigantopithecus was real, Big Foot is not. So where does BF come into the picture? Myth, stories, fakes and phonies have spread the BF legend with no proof. The Giganto is a proven fact. So any train of thought trying to lend credibility to BF has to come from Giganto. 

The only misinterpretation is trying to get people to believe in BF, fella... LOL

As to the scientific take on Giganto, that was 100,000 years ago so evolution would certainly be a factor. So, I guess people here are saying that BF is a totally different species that evolved independently in North America?????

I am not seeing any proof that any type of BF ever lived in N.A.  Guess I am just not getting how people can believe it. 

Edited by GhostBreakers

23 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

Glad to see a celebrity with a rational take on bigfoot. 

How refreshing ... a celebrity with his head screwed on right - unlike Mr. Sheen and his Loch Ness monster hunt.

2 minutes ago, Don Caesar said:

How refreshing ... a celebrity with his head screwed on right - unlike Mr. Sheen and his Loch Ness monster hunt.

Or Rob Lowe...

7 hours ago, GhostBreakers said:

How do you figure, misinterpretation. Gigantopithecus was real, Big Foot is not. So where does BF come into the picture? Myth, stories, fakes and phonies have spread the BF legend with no proof. The Giganto is a proven fact. So any train of thought trying to lend credibility to BF has to come from Giganto. 

The only misinterpretation is trying to get people to believe in BF, fella... LOL

As to the scientific take on Giganto, that was 100,000 years ago so evolution would certainly be a factor. So, I guess people here are saying that BF is a totally different species that evolved independently in North America?????

I am not seeing any proof that any type of BF ever lived in N.A.  Guess I am just not getting how people can believe it. 

My bad. I must have misred what you said as I thought you were assuming bigfoot exist. My apologies. 

23 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Please don't.  Why would you want to feed those dragons?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2019 at 6:17 AM, GhostBreakers said:

Because Gigantopithecus Blacki was a real animal proven by Archeology and science.

Which isn't bigfoot.

Dinosaurs being real doesn't make dragons real either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Which isn't bigfoot.

Dinosaurs being real doesn't make dragons real either.

You take that back! :angry:

Dinosaurs and Dragons don't relate in any way. However, couldn't it  be as real as thinking that, linking 65 million year old Dinosaurs to modern day birds because of similar bone structure. If you are looking for comparisons? People believe that! 

To make things clear to all. I personally don't believe in Big Foot but find the way people look at it as fascinating. My comparisons were to illustrate how people who believe in BF could rationalize it.

Ok, all myths aside... There is NO debating Gigantopithecus existed and people may believe that evolution could have produced BF from them. However, there will never be any proof of anything by todays methods of people's ideas of investigating things. Everyone jumping on the bandwagon, calling themselves anything they like, just thinking it gives them some sort of credibility doesn't help either.

So this debate is pretty much dead unless someone comes across with some credible evidence other than blurry photos and stories. lol 

I'm off to stir up another thread!   

winking-face-facebook.png