Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Scientists Confirm Water Vapor on Europa

ChrLzs

"all these worlds are yours..."

(if anyone doesn't get my flippant movie reference, try here..)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Eternal Flame

Nov 18, 2019 CNN For the first time, scientists have discovered the presence of water vapor above the surface on Europa, Jupiter's icy moon first visited by one of the Voyager probes 40 years ago.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/11/18/world/europa-moon-water-scn/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2Fworld

• Like 3

ExpandMyMind
On 11/18/2019 at 10:12 PM, ChrLzs said:

"all these worlds are yours..."

(if anyone doesn't get my flippant movie reference, try here..)

If you want something to proper blow your mind, check out Liu Cixin's Dark Forest trilogy. It's not really related to your reference but I keep meaning to start a thread to spread the word.

It makes every other sci fi I've experienced seem so small and insignificant by comparison 

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SmartAZ

Scientists have detected water so many times in so many places that it's gettting to be boring. We still don't have any actual water.

• Confused 1

Waspie_Dwarf
2 hours ago, SmartAZ said:

Scientists have detected water so many times in so many places that it's gettting to be boring. We still don't have any actual water.

How is water vapour not, "actual water"?

The key word in "water vapour" IS "water".

• Thanks 2

SmartAZ
On 11/25/2019 at 1:18 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

How is water vapour not, "actual water"?

The key word in "water vapour" IS "water".

Show me the water. They tend to say "water" when they find hydroxyl ions. That is not "water."

ChrLzs
20 hours ago, SmartAZ said:

Show me the water. They tend to say "water" when they find hydroxyl ions. That is not "water."

Read the flippin' link.  It's NOT about hydroxyl ions, it's water vapour.  Gaseous H2O.  Not OH-.

As you are clearly too lazy to do so, I'll quote, just so others won't be misled by your misinfo:

...an international research team led out of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, has detected the water vapor for the first time

...Confirming that water vapor is present above Europa helps scientists better understand the inner workings of the moon.

...“While scientists have not yet detected liquid water directly, we’ve found the next best thing: water in vapor form.”

...Paganini and his team reported in the journal Nature Astronomy on November 18 that they detected enough water releasing from Europa (5,202 pounds, or 2,360 kilograms, per second) to fill an Olympic-size swimming pool within minutes.

...They used a spectrograph at the Keck Observatory that measures the chemical composition of planetary atmospheres through the infrared light they emit or absorb. Molecules such as water emit specific frequencies of infrared light as they interact with solar radiation.

Edited by ChrLzs
silly editor adds blank lines
  • Thanks 2