Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Before we find ET, we need to suss out humans

Eldorado

"Are we alone? Humans have a lot of questions about alien life. But those beings, if they exist, likely have some questions of their own about humans, queries we may want to answer before we find any life beyond Earth.

"That's because the answers we reach will shape how we respond to any such discovery in ways that have profound implications for us and that hypothetical life beyond Earth alike, according to Kathryn Denning, an anthropologist at York University in Canada who focuses on space exploration and extraterrestrial life. Some of those questions, the more anthropocentric ones, are already in the air, underlying conversations about the search for life.

"But other questions would benefit from a shift in mindset that is uncommon in the field, Denning told Space.com. "We're still thinking [about a detection of extraterrestrial life] in terms of an intellectual problem about us and our place in the universe," she said. "[We] haven't thought through the consequences for that other life.""

Full article at Live Science: https://www.livescience.com/humanity-finding-extraterrestrial-life.html

And at Space dot com: https://www.space.com/before-finding-extraterrestrial-life-humanity-questions.html

• Like 6

History doesn't make this sound appealing for one half of the equation (should intelligent life exist elsewhere). Has there ever been a meeting of cultures where both have benefitted? It seems that one gains via exploitation, while the other suffers from being exploited and loses its way of life and culture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horta said:

History doesn't make this sound appealing for one half of the equation (should intelligent life exist elsewhere). Has there ever been a meeting of cultures where both have benefitted? It seems that one gains via exploitation, while the other suffers from being exploited and loses its way of life and culture.

True enough.  However, we have no history with contacting extraterrestrial civilizations, it might not follow the same pattern.

If we are so far apart that physical visitation is near impossible and all we can do is send the equivalent of a message in a bottle across space, exploitation might be more difficult.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Are we alone? Humans have a lot of questions about alien life. But those beings, if they exist, likely have some questions of their own about humans, queries we may want to answer before we find any life beyond Earth.

"That's because the answers we reach will shape how we respond to any such discovery in ways that have profound implications for us and that hypothetical life beyond Earth alike, according to Kathryn Denning, an anthropologist at York University in Canada who focuses on space exploration and extraterrestrial life. Some of those questions, the more anthropocentric ones, are already in the air, underlying conversations about the search for life.

"But other questions would benefit from a shift in mindset that is uncommon in the field, Denning told Space.com. "We're still thinking [about a detection of extraterrestrial life] in terms of an intellectual problem about us and our place in the universe," she said. "[We] haven't thought through the consequences for that other life.""

Full article at Live Science: https://www.livescience.com/humanity-finding-extraterrestrial-life.html

And at Space dot com: https://www.space.com/before-finding-extraterrestrial-life-humanity-questions.html

We don't find ET.  They find us.  They have been doing this for a very long time.  Please research the topic.  No excuse for making a statement like this on a forum about UFO's.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vaz said:

We don't find ET.  They find us.  They have been doing this for a very long time.  Please research the topic.  No excuse for making a statement like this on a forum about UFO's.

It wasn't me who said it, I was quoting /paraphrasing. (there's no room for all of the below in a UM thread title)

"Before We Find Aliens, Humans Need to Figure Ourselves Out, Anthropologist Says"

https://www.livescience.com/humanity-finding-extraterrestrial-life.html

You should maybe learn to read.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vaz said:

I'd love to know how you know aliens have been searching for us for a very long time.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

I'd love to know how you know aliens have been searching for us for a very long time.:lol:

Simple.  I study cases.  I don't dismiss the credibilty of thousands of human beings, a large proportion of whom are most likely a lot brighter than you.  Sorry old chap.

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

It wasn't me who said it, I was quoting /paraphrasing. (there's no room for all of the below in a UM thread title)

"Before We Find Aliens, Humans Need to Figure Ourselves Out, Anthropologist Says"

https://www.livescience.com/humanity-finding-extraterrestrial-life.html

You should maybe learn to read.

Can you read the title of the thread.  Its there for all to see :rofl:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It looks like we have a UFO version of PapaGeorge. :lol:

He will have his very own spaz.....ugh vazmeter :tsu:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Vaz said:

Simple.  I study cases.  I don't dismiss the credibilty of thousands of human beings, a large proportion of whom are most likely a lot brighter than you.  Sorry old chap.

So you go by hearsay? Righty ho chap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vaz said:

So we are not bright enough to see the obvious?  A smart person would waste no further time with us.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaz said:

Wow, you're an unsolicited ****, aren't you.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We'll probably never know the truth about aliens but it's a lot of fun to follow UFO news.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, moonman said:

Wow, you're an unsolicited ****, aren't you.

Not really bothered if, someone makes  a wild claim and bases it all on hearsay , questions my intelligence. 

It's like some religious people me I'm going to burn in hell for being an anti theist! There we are then!