Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

100s of UK women have had six abortions

Eldorado

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think those two women you know are anomalous and insane or absolutely ignorant of reality.  There are so many types of birth control that have nothing to do with taking pills everyday or even messing with your hormones.  Are you sure they are not just jerking your chain?

No....wth? This is not a joking subject. Who would claim having 5 abortions as a joke?!  I've known other women who've had one for various reasons...one of which was an extremely abusive relationship that had taken a year to get out of...fleeing from a bathroom window in the dead of night only to find out she was pregnant. The fear of being tied for life to this crazy guy by way of a child and the possible abuse he would put this child thru was her impetus. Btw, I was the one who picked her up, in the dark, no car lights, on a back unpaved road, scared spitless he was gonna hear and shoot us...so I understand that fear. She's suffered to this day over having had this abortion. In those other cases all the women I've known learned their lesson, figured out how to not have that happen again and have lasting regrets and anxiety over having done it...except one but she's never had kids to this day so thats probably a good thing...for those potential kids.

18 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

If that were true there would have been fewer rapes before the internet but I don't think that there were.  More are being reported because of the internet but from the time I was 13 to now I don't see much change in men's attitudes, only some who know what they can and can't get away with in public, but in private their behavior is still just as bad.  In 2009 I worked in a corporate job where the acting president actually said "No woman can be a good manager so I will not allow any women managers."  HR took him aside and explained that the corporation could get in to trouble  for him saying that, law suits etc.  so  he said he would choose one woman to be a manager and he knew of a woman who was a nightmare.  Once he was gone she was set aside and a several women were made managers, but the sentiment he expressed was not in a vacum, there were a lot of men who made it very difficult for the female workers, sometimes it was sublte and sometimes it was blatant.  So, the internet may be causing some of this in young people, but I would guess they already have some bad examples or they would know better than to think that what they see on the internet is normal.

I totally disagree that what you are talking about is the norm for today's working world. Yes, back in the 80's, 90's etc.  And I'm really not seeing what that has to do with looser morals or rapes. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Just now, skliss said:

I totally disagree that what you are talking about is the norm for today's working world. Yes, back in the 80's, 90's etc.  And I'm really not seeing what that has to do with looser morals or rapes. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

It has a lot to do with "loser morals" and rapes.  If men think women are sub-standard or should be subservient then they think rape is ok.  You are lucky if you have not noticed this in you experience, or it might be that it is so programmed that you don't notice, where some of us are hypersensitive to it as it has caused us pain and suffering.  Attitudes are not that much different in 2019 than they were in 1970.  It is only now something that is being talked about and why do you think that is?  Because of the internet.  And because the whole subject has been entangled with politics lately.  How did Epstein and his owners and subordinates get away with the trafficking that is now being proven to have been going on forever and is STILL going on.  If what you think has changed has then this would have blown out a long time ago, but no, it is just now being looked at.

22 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

If abortion were used as a primary method of birth control, a typical woman would have at least two or three pregnancies per year — 30 or more during her lifetime.

The stats don't support your off the cuff statements.

I never said any one was using abortion as the "primary" method. I won't hold to you the rest of what I wrote, just knowing you read it is enough for me.

What's your stance on aborting babies to fulfill cultural gender requirements? Such as communities of Indian immigrants who don't want to "burden" their families with daughters? It's happening in Canada - a lot. It's barely reported on as it conflicts with the Liberal view of abortion as simply a "women's rights" issue.

Therein lies the problem - shaping laws based on feelings and not facts. You are thinking only of how abortion could hurt a woman, which is fine, but you also have to consider how abortion can be used and abused. After all, these are human lives we are talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

I never said any one was using abortion as the "primary" method. I won't hold to you the rest of what I wrote, just knowing you read it is enough for me.

What's your stance on aborting babies to fulfill cultural gender requirements? Such as communities of Indian immigrants who don't want to "burden" their families with daughters? It's happening in Canada - a lot. It's barely reported on as it conflicts with the Liberal view of abortion as simply a "women's rights" issue.

Therein lies the problem - shaping laws based on feelings and not facts. You are thinking only of how abortion could hurt a woman, which is fine, but you also have to consider how abortion can be used and abused. After all, these are human lives we are talking about.

How do you know it's happening here in Canada 'a lot' if it's not being reported on? Doctors here typically don't ask a woman why she wants an abortion.  All she has to do is say she wants one, so whatever stats do exist don't necessarily reflect reality. Abortions span all demographics and are done for different reasons. Women should never be put in a position where they have to justify their decision.

Is abortion being abused in the ways you've suggested? I don't know. I also don't care. Whether I agree or disagree with some of the reasons behind a woman's decision is not my place to say. The decision is theirs, and theirs alone. Besides, I think the 'abuses' you mention make up for an insignificant percentage of all abortions.

And yes, I do see it as a women's rights issue. I realise that not everyone agrees with that perspective, but tough. Some need to get over their fear of women's sexuality, and others need to get over their inane belief that a sexually active woman should be punished with parenthood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1