Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Congressional Committee to Vote on THC Bill

BrooklynGuy

I hope that Congress is able to come together and pass Federal legislation of some form on the legalization of Marijuana. I think their is ample evidence that there are legitimate medical uses that would benefit many with Epilepsy, Glaucoma, HIV/AIDS symptoms and chronic pain. At the same time it would also be beneficial to strengthen DUI laws to prevent/minimize an increase by folks who may get behind the wheel after imbibing as I think we will see an increase in the amount of folks partaking if THC it is legalized. I'm not sure why THC was ever classified as a Schedule 1 narcotic in the same class as Heroin, LSD, methaqualone, and methylenedioxymethamphetamine. I have always found it interesting that cocaine, that has a medically accepted use in eye surgery but a much greater potential for abuse, is a Schedule 2 drug and Marijuana a Schedule 1. In addition our courts are clogged with misdemeanor non violent possession cases and our jails/prisons are full of folks who partook in the consumption of marijuana that I find to be much less destructive than alcohol that is legal almost everywhere in America. Hopefully someone will come up with a better delivery system than a bong or a joint that removes or minimizes the negative effects of the inactive ingredients and doesn't involve smoking or vaping THC which damages the users lungs and cardiovascular system.   

Key Congressional Committee Officially Schedules Vote On Marijuana Legalization Bill

A key House committee has officially announced that a vote on a comprehensive marijuana legalization bill is scheduled for this week. The House Judiciary Committee said on Monday that the panel will mark up legislation introduced by Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), which would federally deschedule cannabis and address social equity, on Wednesday at 10:00 AM ET. The announcement confirms what sources familiar with the planned development told Marijuana Moment last week. Nadler’s Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement (MORE) Act has been lauded by advocates for its emphasis on restorative justice for communities most impacted by the drug war.

Read more: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/key-congressional-committee-officially-schedules-vote-on-marijuana-legalization-bill/

Drug Scheduling

Drugs, substances, and certain chemicals used to make drugs are classified into five (5) distinct categories or schedules depending upon the drug’s acceptable medical use and the drug’s abuse or dependency potential. The abuse rate is a determinate factor in the scheduling of the drug; for example, Schedule I drugs have a high potential for abuse and the potential to create severe psychological and/or physical dependence. As the drug schedule changes-- Schedule II, Schedule III, etc., so does the abuse potential-- Schedule V drugs represents the least potential for abuse.

https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling

• Like 4

If they can figure a way to get all the tax money without sharing with the states it will probably happen.  I personally think it's a bad idea because I figure more kids will try it once it's legal.  Fully developed adults can make their own choice but the young people can be harmed by using early in life.  

The Congress should at least fund a study in the states where it has already been legalized.  I seem to recall Colorado having a peak of related ER visits.  There is no doubt that it is less addictive than opioids or alcohol but that doesn't mean it's good for you unless you have specific medical complaints.

• Like 1

Classing heroin and marijuana the same was and is, idiotic.  So was classing LSD as a narcotic.  ?   Here, take a hit of L25 and tell me it dulls your senses.. or "induces sleep".       Not that I'm promoting anything..just reminiscing  :lol:

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, and then said:

I personally think it's a bad idea because I figure more kids will try it once it's legal.

In countries (and indeed your own states) where it's been legalised or decriminalised the opposite effect has been observed.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

If they can figure a way to get all the tax money without sharing with the states it will probably happen.  I personally think it's a bad idea because I figure more kids will try it once it's legal.  Fully developed adults can make their own choice but the young people can be harmed by using early in life.  

The Congress should at least fund a study in the states where it has already been legalized.  I seem to recall Colorado having a peak of related ER visits.  There is no doubt that it is less addictive than opioids or alcohol but that doesn't mean it's good for you unless you have specific medical complaints.

I understand and agree with your concerns as they are likely to happen with nationwide legalization for recreational use of THC based products. I would say that our current efforts and methods to manage/minimize/eliminate the ever growing problem of substance abuse in America are not working imo. That is why several years ago I changed my previous held position of not legalizing THC for some of the reasons you mentioned and more to a position that is more in line with the ideas of harm reduction and that subscribe to less punitive measures toward those who use THC based products and the approximately 30 million people who suffer from addiction in America. For anyone interested here is a link that describes Harm Reduction and it's possible benefits for society as a whole. This approach has been used effectively in regards to many other social problems and imo has been quite effective.

Harm Reduction

Harm reduction is a set of ideas and interventions that seek to reduce the harms associated with both drug use and ineffective, racialized drug policies. Harm reduction stands in stark contrast to a punitive approach to problematic drug use—it is based on acknowledging the dignity and humanity of people who use drugs and bringing them into a community of care in order to minimize negative consequences and promote optimal health and social inclusion.

Read more: http://www.drugpolicy.org/issues/harm-reduction

Defining harm reduction

Harm reduction attempts to reduce the adverse consequences of drug use among persons who continue to use drugs. It developed in response to the excesses of a "zero tolerance approach". Harm reduction emphasizes practical rather than idealized goals. It has been expanded from illicit drugs to legal drugs and is grounded in the evolving public health and advocacy movements. Harm reduction has proved to be effective and it has gained increasing official acceptance; for example, it is now the basis of Canada's Drug Strategy.

Read more: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16203323

Harm reduction: An approach to reducing risky health behaviors in adolescents

Harm reduction is a public health strategy that was developed initially for adults with substance abuse problems for whom abstinence was not feasible. Harm reduction approaches have been effective in reducing morbidity and mortality in these adult populations. In recent years, harm reduction has been successfully applied to sexual health education in an attempt to reduce both teen pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV.

Read more: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2528824/

1 hour ago, Robotic Jew said:

I think it should be legalized and freely distributed to every citizen on a daily basis. 

along with 1000 rounds a week, for gvmnt issued ak47

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

You're terrible at your job.

i'm actually awesome at my job , that is why i get close to 6 figures, but thank you very much for your stupid comment, it is always entertaining 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, aztek said:

i'm actually awesome at my job , that is why i get close to 6 figures, but thank you very much for your stupid comment, it is always entertaining 

I meant your job on the forum. I don't give 2 craps about how much money you make.

15 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

I meant your job on the forum. I don't give 2 craps about how much money you make.

and i'm awesome at that too,  you otoh suck balls big time, keep smoking dude, keep up the good work

Edited by aztek

7 hours ago, and then said:

Not sure where you went to School man but weed has always been easier to get then even prescription drugs. When it's legalized, you will still need an ID to purchase so it's not like kids can legally get it. The ones who want to try it will decide to do so regardless of the laws just like they always have. 

If heroin was legal tomorrow, I still wouldn't try heroin.

3 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

I think it should be legalized and freely distributed to every citizen on a daily basis. 

And a week later the number of teenagers (and their dogs) investigating mysteries will jump exponentially.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Not sure where you went to School man but weed has always been easier to get then even prescription drugs. When it's legalized, you will still need an ID to purchase so it's not like kids can legally get it. The ones who want to try it will decide to do so regardless of the laws just like they always have. 

If heroin was legal tomorrow, I still wouldn't try heroin.

I'd want to....but I probably wouldn't....maybe....at least no right away. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Robotic Jew said:

I'd want to....but I probably wouldn't....maybe....at least no right away. 

Hopefully you are kidding RJ but if not don't do it. Even the most well adjusted and strong willed person will become physically dependent on opioids in as little as 3 days. 

Opioid dependence can happen after just 5 days

Many big numbers underscore the national opioid epidemic. Case in point: More than 115 people died every day of opioid overdoses in America in 2016, and they accounted for nearly two-thirds of the approximately 63,632 Americans who died of drug overdose that year. This year, it is estimated that more than 2 million Americans will suffer from addiction to prescription or illicit opioids. But there is also a small number that is crucial to understanding the opioid epidemic and the dangers of opioid misuse.

Read more: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/substance-use/opioid-dependence-can-happen-after-just-5-days

Opioid Dependence Can Start in Just a Few Days 

Doctors who limit the supply of opioids they prescribe to three days or less may help patients avoid the dangers of dependence and addiction, a new study suggests. Among patients without cancer, a single day's supply of a narcotic painkiller can result in 6 percent of patients being on an opioid a year later, the researchers said. The odds of long-term opioid use increased most sharply in the first days of therapy, particularly after five days of taking the drugs. The rate of long-term opioid use increased to about 13 percent for patients who first took the drugs for eight days or more, according to the report.

Read more: https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20170316/opioid-dependence-can-start-in-just-a-few-days#1

• Thanks 1

Marijuana legalization could help offset opioid epidemic, studies find

Experts have proposed using medical marijuana to help Americans struggling with opioid addiction. Now, two studies suggest that there is merit to that strategy. The studies, published Monday in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, compared opioid prescription patterns in states that have enacted medical cannabis laws with those that have not. One of the studies looked at opioid prescriptions covered by Medicare Part D between 2010 and 2015, while the other looked at opioid prescriptions covered by Medicaid between 2011 and 2016. The researchers found that states that allow the use of cannabis for medical purposes had 2.21 million fewer daily doses of opioids prescribed per year under Medicare Part D, compared with those states without medical cannabis laws. Opioid prescriptions under Medicaid also dropped by 5.88% in states with medical cannabis laws compared with states without such laws, according to the studies.

Read more: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/02/health/medical-cannabis-law-opioid-prescription-study/index.html?no-st=1574436371

safe_image.php?d=AQAjKCSYQkQ1aqU9&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F180330163506-2017-file-of-marijuana-super-tease.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQB-WxL60jLQ7ujr