Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is eye color related to rh factor?

Nnicolette

So I recently saw somebody say that you can only have green (also gray, violet, hazel and other multi-tones) if you are rh- or have one - allele... Which im presuming signifies one rh- parent but am not clear if this is neccessarily %100. I am not clear either if this would include all blue eyes.

Is there anyone that either knows if this is true or can contribute census data for my general amusement? I have always been curious about this but i wasnt able to disprove it personally. If you know your blood type or parents' please share.

I am rh+ with green/gray changing eyes, my sister and mother are rh+ with brown, and my father blue with rh-, his mother had violet eyes. (Also my study subject #1 is rh- with green eyes)

26 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

I am rh+ with green/gray changing eyes, my sister and mother are rh+ with brown, and my father blue with rh-, his mother had violet eyes. (Also my study subject #1 is rh- with green eyes)

I'm rh- with grey green changing eyes so I don't think it's a factor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

So I recently saw somebody say that you can only have green (also gray, violet, hazel and other multi-tones) if you are rh- or have one - allele... Which im presuming signifies one rh- parent but am not clear if this is neccessarily %100. I am not clear either if this would include all blue eyes.

Is there anyone that either knows if this is true or can contribute census data for my general amusement? I have always been curious about this but i wasnt able to disprove it personally. If you know your blood type or parents' please share.

I know this is not true.  Usually the rh negative is in families but my mother had green eyes and positive rh.  There are a lot of myths about blood types, including that rh negative indicates ET ancestry (not).  I have rh negative blood but both my parents (one with green eyes and one with hazel eyes) both had rh positive blood type.  My mother's older sister had A negative blood type, blond hair, blue eyes.  My mother had AB postive, green eyes and auburn hair.  They had a younger sister with brown eyes and red hair, but I don't know what her blood type was.

My ex and both my kids also have A negitve blood type.  Since both parents had A negative you would think that would mean all the kids would have the same but not necessarily.

I asked a friend who had a PHD in biology and genetics about the eye color because, you know, we were told in school that we are like peas and if our parents have blue eyes we cannot have brown eyes, but I know that isn't true because my grand mohter had brown eyes and my grandfather had green eyes but only one of their 3 children had brown eyes.  So if brown is dominant why did two get blue and green eyes?  She said it takes 10 alleles to determin eye color and there have to be at least 5 of one color to determine if they will be brown.  Hazel eyes usually indicate that there are not 5 of one color in the 10 alleles.  That causes a genetic thing called heterochromia iridum, which is also tied to hair color.

So there are so many factors in genetics to determine eye color and hair color (becaucse they are linked) that there is no straight answer to why anyone has the hair color or eye color they have.  You have to know the genetics for generations to get a good answer.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm rh- with grey green changing eyes so I don't think it's a factor. 

Why? Maybe i didnt communicate clearly, we have the same color type but i was saying i read this trait only belongs to rh- or those witj an rh- parent, so you fit the bill. I am just trying to figure out if theres anyone with this eye type that doesnt.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Why? Maybe i didnt communicate clearly, we have the same color type but i was saying i read this trait only belongs to rh- or those witj an rh- parent, so you fit the bill. I am just trying to figure out if theres anyone with this eye type that doesnt.

I gave you a couple of examples.  Both my parents were RH positive and one had green eyes, the other hazel eyes.  Eye color has nothing to do with RH factor.

http://www.carterbloodcare.org/the-significance-of-being-rh-negative-or-rh-positive/

P.S. I realize you had not read my post when I posted this.  I hope you find some answers as genetics is fascinating to me and it seems like you  might find it so as well.

Edited by Desertrat56
P.S.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I know this is not true.  Usually the rh negative is in families but my mother had green eyes and positive rh.  There are a lot of myths about blood types, including that rh negative indicates ET ancestry (not).  I have rh negative blood but both my parents (one with green eyes and one with hazel eyes) both had rh positive blood type.  My mother's older sister had A negative blood type, blond hair, blue eyes.  My mother had AB postive, green eyes and auburn hair.  They had a younger sister with brown eyes and red hair, but I don't know what her blood type was.

My ex and both my kids also have A negitve blood type.  Since both parents had A negative you would think that would mean all the kids would have the same but not necessarily.

I asked a friend who had a PHD in biology and genetics about the eye color because, you know, we were told in school that we are like peas and if our parents have blue eyes we cannot have brown eyes, but I know that isn't true because my grand mohter had brown eyes and my grandfather had green eyes but only one of their 3 children had brown eyes.  So if brown is dominant why did two get blue and green eyes?  She said it takes 10 alleles to determin eye color and there have to be at least 5 of one color to determine if they will be brown.  Hazel eyes usually indicate that there are not 5 of one color in the 10 alleles.  That causes a genetic thing called heterochromia iridum, which is also tied to hair color.

So there are so many factors in genetics to determine eye color and hair color (becaucse they are linked) that there is no straight answer to why anyone has the hair color or eye color they have.  You have to know the genetics for generations to get a good answer.

Thanks for the addition! I saw a great chart on combinations and the resulting colors. 7 resulted in brown, 2 in green 1 im blue. but i am referring to the relation to the rh factor. To my understanding there are two alleles and you can be -(--) or +(++, or +-). I had read a claim that people witj green eyes can only be +- or -- and i was wondering if this is true because all examples i knew fit. I also read that both parents pass one of the alleles. So If one parent was -- they only could have passed a - so, whether you are -(--) or + (-+) if your parent was rh- you must have at least one - allele right?

13 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Thanks for the addition! I saw a great chart on combinations and the resulting colors. 7 resulted in brown, 2 in green 1 im blue. but i am referring to the relation to the rh factor. To my understanding there are two alleles and you can be -(--) or +(++, or +-). I had read a claim that people witj green eyes can only be +- or -- and i was wondering if this is true because all examples i knew fit. I also read that both parents pass one of the alleles. So If one parent was -- they only could have passed a - so, whether you are -(--) or + (-+) if your parent was rh- you must have at least one - allele right?

No.  Based on the link I posted the RH factor is a protein, if it is missing you are RH negative, if you have the protein you are RH positive.  It doesn't have anything to do with alleles that are linked to eye color.

I have been researching this because of the bad science I was taught (and most public school kids in the U.S. are taught) about genetics.  In my dads family Heterochromia iridum is common, though it is considered rare.  My dad's mother had blond hair and blue eyes, my dad's father had black hair and grey eyes.  My dad's oldest sister had one green eye and one blue eye, over the green eye is a brown eyebrow and over the blue eye is a blonde eyebrow.  She kept her hair in a bun until she was in her 40's when frosting became popular because she had every color of hair possible, the sides were brown and she kept her hair long and pulled the sides up to cover the other colors, red, blonde and black streaks ran through her hair.  (my grandpa called her mutt because he thought that was funny, but she took it to heart).  My dad has almost black hair with hazel eyes that seem brown or green.  He has red in his beard so he only wore a beard for a short time.  His other 7 siblings had hazel or blue eyes and eveyone had a different color of hair.  So, between both of my parents that right there blew the simplistic description of how you get brown or blue eyes to hell.  We are definitely more complex than pea plants.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My father was B- with blue eyes, my mother is A+ with one blue and one brown eye. I am AB- with blue eyes. 

cormac

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

My father was B- with blue eyes, my mother is A+ with one blue and one brown eye. I am AB- with blue eyes. 

cormac

Interesting, you mother and my dad are examples of heterochomia iridum with a + RH factor.  So proof that RH factor has nothing to do with eye color.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, Nnicolette said:

Not necessarily, as mentioned previously my mother was A+ my father was B- but of myself and my siblings we are (in order) AB-, AB+, AB-, AB-.

cormac

21 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Not necessarily, as mentioned previously my mother was A+ my father was B- but of myself and my siblings we are (in order) AB-, AB+, AB-, AB-.

cormac

Not to mention RH factor has nothing to do with alleles, it is an indication of a protein or the absence of the protein.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Not to mention RH factor has nothing to do with alleles, it is an indication of a protein or the absence of the protein.

I think the OP has confused genes with proteins, there is a difference between the RHD gene and the RhD protein, the former encodes the latter. 

cormac

• Like 1

** delete

Edited by Desertrat56
wrong thread
  • Haha 1