Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
ExpandMyMind

What's wrong with Search?

ExpandMyMind

It's absolutely atrocious. Ridiculous, actually. It fails when searching so often that it's almost useless.

For example, I'm searching for this thread. I knew it had 'Jerusalem' in the title and knew its location but nothing came up in the search. I spent 15 minutes messing around with the search function only to have to go an find it manually. If it wasn't a large thread then I'd never have found it. 

I've even had it fail to find words while searching individual threads, instead having to use my browser's word searching function and go through each page manually. It's so time consuming. And you've got no hope at all if you're looking for something from 5+ years ago.

So what's going on? Why is it complete garbage?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

spartan max2

I've never even tried using that function lol

ExpandMyMind

To highlight my point:

UM.thumb.png.d4ded349fd806867a92ba0105a1f06f6.pngUM1.thumb.png.aa1b6d4c069d048d8e639e5ef849b469.png

I mean, what's that all about?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Saru

The search function currently only searches the last 12 months' worth of content - that thread dates back several years.

The reason for this is because opening it up to the entire back catalog of content taxes the server too much.

Ultimately it's a balance between the extent of the search and the amount of slowdown it creates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Desertrat56
52 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It's absolutely atrocious. Ridiculous, actually. It fails when searching so often that it's almost useless.

For example, I'm searching for this thread. I knew it had 'Jerusalem' in the title and knew its location but nothing came up in the search. I spent 15 minutes messing around with the search function only to have to go an find it manually. If it wasn't a large thread then I'd never have found it. 

I've even had it fail to find words while searching individual threads, instead having to use my browser's word searching function and go through each page manually. It's so time consuming. And you've got no hope at all if you're looking for something from 5+ years ago.

So what's going on? Why is it complete garbage?

I have had the same problem causing me to doubt my memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Desertrat56
6 minutes ago, Saru said:

The search function currently only searches the last 12 months' worth of content - that thread dates back several years.

The reason for this is because opening it up to the entire back catalog of content taxes the server too much.

Ultimately it's a balance between the extent of the search and the amount of slowdown it creates.

But the threads I have searched were active between now and april, so what's with that?  Maybe I am dreaming them.

Saru
1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

But the threads I have searched were active between now and april, so what's with that?  Maybe I am dreaming them.

Can you remember what you were searching for and in what thread ?

ExpandMyMind
4 minutes ago, Saru said:

Understandable, but the above images show that it can't find a word contained within a thread, never mind the actual thread.

Saru
1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Understandable, but the above images show that it can't find a word contained within a thread, never mind the actual thread.

As I say, it can't search content more than 12 months' old. It works fine on newer content.

ExpandMyMind
1 minute ago, Saru said:

As I say, it can't search content more than 12 months' old.

Will there be any plans to change this in the future? It's just frustrating that I have thousands of posts that I can't even access, really. 

Saru
4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Will there be any plans to change this in the future? It's just frustrating that I have thousands of posts that I can't even access, really. 

It's probably not going to be possible to search the entire forum content, not unless someone wants to pay for a new server.

We may be able to increase the scope a bit, however, recent patches may have increased the efficiency of the search system.

I'll try doubling the scope to two years - if that works without any issues, I'll try increasing the scope further.

As I say it's a balance between search scope and server performance - it's not helping anyone if it makes the site run slow.

Edit: The search index is now rebuilding with two years of content - searches may not work properly until it's done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saru
7 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It's just frustrating that I have thousands of posts that I can't even access, really. 

Actually you can view all your content from your profile - it's just in the main search results they won't show up.

Also, as a workaround, you can search the forum through Google as well. ( type "site:unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/ xyz" )

• Like 4

Desertrat56
11 minutes ago, Saru said:

Can you remember what you were searching for and in what thread ?

I was searching for a couple of threads using the title, but I am thinking I got them confused.  Unless the threads were old but still active a few months ago.  I am on another site and thought I was seeing the same threads on both sites.  I may have been mistaken though.  Does the search bring up an old thread if it was recently active?

Saru
Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I was searching for a couple of threads using the title, but I am thinking I got them confused.  Unless the threads were old but still active a few months ago.  I am on another site and thought I was seeing the same threads on both sites.  I may have been mistaken though.  Does the search bring up an old thread if it was recently active?

I believe so, yes, because the newer posts will have been indexed.

• Thanks 1

ExpandMyMind
2 hours ago, Saru said:

It's probably not going to be possible to search the entire forum content, not unless someone wants to pay for a new server.

We may be able to increase the scope a bit, however, recent patches may have increased the efficiency of the search system.

I'll try doubling the scope to two years - if that works without any issues, I'll try increasing the scope further.

As I say it's a balance between search scope and server performance - it's not helping anyone if it makes the site run slow.

Edit: The search index is now rebuilding with two years of content - searches may not work properly until it's done.

Wow. Thanks. That's actually amazing.

ChrLzs

As already noted, just use Google - enter your search words then add  site:unexplained-mysteries.com , eg:

jerusalem  trump  site:unexplained-mysteries.com

• Thanks 1