Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Largest maternity scandal in NHS history

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

"Dozens of babies and mothers died on the wards of a single hospital trust in what is being described as the largest maternity scandal in the history of the NHS, The Independent can today reveal.

"Clinical malpractice was allowed to continue unchecked over a period of 40 years, with repeated failings by doctors, midwives and hospital bosses, according to a leaked internal report.

"It singles out the deaths of at least 42 babies and three mothers at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust (SATH) between 1979 and 2017."

Full report at the UK Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/shrewsbury-maternity-scandal/nhs-maternity-scandal-shrewsbury-telford-hospitals-mothers-babies-report-a9207176.html

At the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7702001/Babies-mothers-died-amid-toxic-culture-NHS-trust.html

At the UK Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-mum-babies-died-nhss-20915148

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
susieice

The callousness is as horrific as the malpractice. So traumatic for those poor families.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

When I lived near the PRH in Telford, all this was well hidden. It appeared to be an efficient, modern, well-managed hospital.

I even applied for jobs there!

 

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere

Here we go again, a year or two long enquiry followed by 'lessons have been learnt' 

Bet you a months wages nobody goes to prison for this. "It's the NHS innit, angels every last one of 'em"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

Related news...

"The expert behind an investigation into the largest NHS maternity scandal in its history believes it is unlikely the full extent of the failures will ever be known.

"Midwife Donna Ockenden has warned it is unlikely that records which go back more than two decades will be accessible to the inquiry into Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust.

"Writing for The Independent, she said: "It is important that families understand that the further back in time we go, the less likely we are to be able to access health records since health records in the NHS are routinely kept for 25 years. After that time it is unlikely we will be able to access records."

"Ms Ockenden added she will strive to get answers for families."

Full report at the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/29/midwife-warns-full-extent-nhs-maternity-scandal-shrewsbury-telford/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere

Yep, as I thought, public sector = no consequence. Much like Hillsborough.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

Latest...

"A police investigation has been launched into a hospital trust at the centre of a baby deaths inquiry.

"More than 1,000 families have contacted an independent review into Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust, with cases dating back more than 40 years.

"West Mercia Police said it was investigating whether there is "evidence to support a criminal case either against the trust or any individuals involved"."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-53241946

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
On 11/19/2019 at 3:36 PM, Eldorado said:

"Dozens of babies and mothers died on the wards of a single hospital trust in what is being described as the largest maternity scandal in the history of the NHS, The Independent can today reveal.

"Clinical malpractice was allowed to continue unchecked over a period of 40 years, with repeated failings by doctors, midwives and hospital bosses, according to a leaked internal report.

"It singles out the deaths of at least 42 babies and three mothers at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust (SATH) between 1979 and 2017."

Full report at the UK Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/shrewsbury-maternity-scandal/nhs-maternity-scandal-shrewsbury-telford-hospitals-mothers-babies-report-a9207176.html

At the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7702001/Babies-mothers-died-amid-toxic-culture-NHS-trust.html

At the UK Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-mum-babies-died-nhss-20915148

I always wonder if a career in medicine is one attractive to psychopaths because they know there will be opportunities to pop patients off. Especially babies because they dont know whats going on, dont talk, and dont ask questions.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wepwawet
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I always wonder if a career in medicine is one attractive to psychopaths because they know there will be opportunities to pop patients off. Especially babies because they dont know whats going on, dont talk, and dont ask questions.

Harold Shipman, and I do not doubt there have been and still are others like him. A large can of worms could be opened here, like for instance, why would any normal person want to conduct autopsies, or many other things that most of us view as creepily yucky if not downright disturbing. That's not to say that we do not benefit from what they do. In Ancient Egypt the embalmers were ritually stoned, non harmfully, as a sign that while everybody wanted their services, what they actually did was considered disgusting.

Edited by Wepwawet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
21 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

Harold Shipman, and I do not doubt there have been and still are others like him. A large can of worms could be opened here, like for instance, why would any normal person want to conduct autopsies, or many other things that most of us view as creepily yucky if not downright disturbing. That's not to say that we do not benefit from what they do. In Ancient Egypt the embalmers were ritually stoned, non harmfully, as a sign that while everybody wanted their services, what they actually did was considered disgusting.

I bet the NHS is riddled with them just like the Church is riddled with paedophiles.

In my experiences of working with psychopaths/sociopaths they are only allowed to exist in firms where there are management issues going on. Such as managers that are clueless about people, managers that hide personnel problems, managers which they have dirt on, or those managers which are too easily suckered by ingratiation because they have self-esteem issues going on.

So the information out about that hospital having a toxic working environment in addition to the large numbers of baby deaths kind of sets off my alarm bells. The toxic working environment (which is always caused by the wrong type of people in management and leadership positions) goes hand in hand with a place having psychopaths/sociopaths working in it.

The fact its babies is eye-brow raising as they cannot speak about what has been going on. I bet there are also high-numbers of adult deaths from strokes (if it leaves them unable to talk) and those who have no visitors coming to see them.

With Jimmy Saville I cannot believe his ingratiation managed to get himself put in charge of the asylum along with the keys to children`s hospitals. With Shipman thats just as crazy. In all fairness people cannot usually spot a high functioning psychopath/sociopath until they have had a run in with one. People need to listen to their guts, if their intuition is that there is something not right about the person then avoid.

Its like watching the McCann interviews on television. Most people that haven`t had a run in with a psychopath/sociopath still know there isn`t something right about how they come across. They are watching an animal trying to act like a normal human being, and because they arent normal human beings they cannot get it spot on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.