Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comoving distance- light travel distance

Weitter Duckss

6 hours ago, toast said:

All contents on a site which offer "7 Ghost-Hunting Tools Recommended by Paranormal Investigators" should be ignored on principle.

I looked at the page. I can't link it to the comment. I already commented on finding a planet with a potential life on

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-nasa-planet-hunter-earth-size-habitable-zone.html

Still, I slightly disagree for the paranormal. This is Unexplained Mysteries. Here we explore the unknown and use evidence to explain (if it is now possible to explain).

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/4/2020 at 2:21 PM, Weitter Duckss said:

@Wes83 

Just outside the atmosphere of the sun is complete darkness, which means that light does not originate from the sun.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!  :cry:  The sun radiates photons of light (as do all stars/suns).  These photons travel outwards in all directions until they interact with gases and solid objects that absorb or reflect the photons.  The backs of our eyes, the surface of a film medium - any medium sensitive to light photons, interprets the light reflected off surfaces so we see everything around us.

I am not a scientist so don’t have the terminology to correctly explain what I am trying to say, but even the least educated person on this planet knows light originates from our sun, if only from the fact the when the sun sets behind the horizon it gets darker and darker until it starts to rise again.  Sunlight (photons from the sun) reflects off the moon to give us moonlight in varying degrees depending on the relative positions of moon and earth.  

My understanding is that light is energy in the visible spectrum.  Our eyes are adapted to see a limited range of this, being unable to detect the infra red or ultra violet ends of the spectrum.  If I am incorrect in this only too happy to be put right (by sensible people!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!  :cry:  The sun radiates photons of light (as do all stars/suns).  These photons travel outwards in all directions until they interact with gases and solid objects that absorb or reflect the photons.  The backs of our eyes, the surface of a film medium - any medium sensitive to light photons, interprets the light reflected off surfaces so we see everything around us.

I am not a scientist so don’t have the terminology to correctly explain what I am trying to say, but even the least educated person on this planet knows light originates from our sun, if only from the fact the when the sun sets behind the horizon it gets darker and darker until it starts to rise again.  Sunlight (photons from the sun) reflects off the moon to give us moonlight in varying degrees depending on the relative positions of moon and earth.  

My understanding is that light is energy in the visible spectrum.  Our eyes are adapted to see a limited range of this, being unable to detect the infra red or ultra violet ends of the spectrum.  If I am incorrect in this only too happy to be put right (by sensible people!).

Good. Photons are light (according to your opinion). You probably understand that they have instruments that detect light.

If I understand correctly, you say that a photon only glows when it collides with matter. ("As long as they interact with gases and solid objects that absorb or reflect the photons").

Did you know that between the moon and the earth of darkness. ("Sunlight (photons from the sun) reflects off the moon"). immediately from the surface of the Moon to the Earth's atmosphere?

When you think a little, you will quickly realize that photons do not collide and reflect. These are waves that produce light in a collision with visible matter. Light does not exist in space, space is dark. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weitter Duckss said:

Good. Photons are light (according to your opinion). You probably understand that they have instruments that detect light.

If I understand correctly, you say that a photon only glows when it collides with matter. ("As long as they interact with gases and solid objects that absorb or reflect the photons").

Did you know that between the moon and the earth of darkness. ("Sunlight (photons from the sun) reflects off the moon"). immediately from the surface of the Moon to the Earth's atmosphere?

When you think a little, you will quickly realize that photons do not collide and reflect. These are waves that produce light in a collision with visible matter. Light does not exist in space, space is dark. :D

I give up! :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Weitter Duckss said:

Light does not exist in space, space is dark.

So the photons arrive to Earth with FedEx then. Understood.

Edited by toast
  • Haha 1

@Weitter Duckss

light is very very real.  The science behind it has been studied and is well understood.  If indeed your proposition that light does not exist outside of earths atmosphere were correct then satellites, probes and even the ISS would not be able to work, being solely reliant on Solar Energy.

With regard to much of your earlier posts around light in the universe, I believe you were referring to Olber’s Paradox in your own special way.

keep reading, keep learning, you have a long and wonderful journey of discovery ahead of you.

4 hours ago, toast said:

So the photons arrive to Earth with FedEx then. Understood.

Logical thinking. Just so mainstream may explain why the space is dark.

46 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

light is very very real.  The science behind it has been studied and is well understood.  If indeed your proposition that light does not exist outside of earths atmosphere were correct then satellites, probes and even the ISS would not be able to work, being solely reliant on Solar Energy.

With regard to much of your earlier posts around light in the universe, I believe you were referring to Olber’s Paradox in your own special way.

keep reading, keep learning, you have a long and wonderful journey of discovery ahead of you.

Yes, light is very very real.

Still, light is not photons from the Sun. In the space between Sun and Earth, there are only waves (radiation). Earth and bodyes have visible matter. The collision of these two values give the product light. Space has no visible matter and is completely dark.

When the waves dim (later why) the light dims. In the Ort cloud, visibility is, like our night, mostly covered by clouds.  (Mean Solar Irradiance (W/m2) on Mercury is 9.116,4, Earth  1.366,1, Jupiter 50,5, na Pluto 0,878).

Slikovni rezultat za space is dark