Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need some help

kmt_sesh

Check out Thriftbooks. They have tens of thousands of used books that are in great shape really cheap. So is their shipping. I think they have ebooks too. Their ancient history/history selection is huge as are most of their categories. I use them a lot.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/?&mkwid=sr4MySh5u|dc&pcrid=230560015175&pkw=thriftbooks&pmt=e&slid=&plc=&pgrid=8775931272&ptaid=aud-305373123344:kwd-3186334350&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6eDIoeT25QIVhZ-zCh1R0gX2EAAYASAAEgJAf_D_BwE

Edited by susieice
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Hello, all. I'm turning to our community here for assistance. As most of you probably know by now, I suffered a nasty stroke. I was in the hospital and rehab for a damn long time. Now I'm waiting for a government program to find me a new, handicapped apartment. My previous apartment wasn't handicapped accessible, so it had to go.

Now to my need for your help. While I was in the hospital the docs told my sister I probably would not live. My sister has power of attorney for me and she's been amazing. The only real beef I have with her is that she left my library behind when she cleaned out my old apartment. She left instructions to the building management to let the other tenants take what books they might want.

My sister has no idea how valuable my library was, nor how advanced. I can't see regular people having much if any interest in my books. I looked up some of my favorite books at Amazon and quickly learned my library amounted to several thousand dollars, so it's not realistic for me to replace them.

I recently got myself an Amazon Fire tablet and have been downloading inexpensive e-books. This has enabled me to return to my routine of nightly reading, and I'm rather liking that.

But I've pretty much picked up all the Amazon e-books related to ancient Egypt and the Near East. My question to you folks is, where else might I look for e-books on the ancient Near East? I'd appreciate any help rendered. Thanks. :D

Give me a list of the books you want, or just a few, and I'll see if I can find them. If I can then I'll sort you out.

• Like 7

I have picked up some surprise finds at https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeEBOOKS/

Most are fiction or random things but mythology and history topics come up now and again, though are generally more contemporary and who knows? Maybe you would enjoy a few of the fiction works :)

Hugs your way Fave Mummy. Love you, man.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Now to my need for your help. While I was in the hospital the docs told my sister I probably would not live. My sister has power of attorney for me and she's been amazing. The only real beef I have with her is that she left my library behind when she cleaned out my old apartment. She left instructions to the building management to let the other tenants take what books they might want.

Mine was sold and destroyed, your's was given away. I can really sympathize. :hmm:

Edited by Piney
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

But I've pretty much picked up all the Amazon e-books related to ancient Egypt and the Near East. My question to you folks is, where else might I look for e-books on the ancient Near East? I'd appreciate any help rendered. Thanks. :D

Hy kmt_sesh,

hope you are doing well. Here a link to a good German (e-book) publishing house, I have preselected ebooks in English language and for the keyword "Egyptology":

Thalia Bücher

PayPal accepted. If for some reason no order from the US possible, pls let me know (PM) and I will manage the issue because I have an account at Thalia.

Edited by toast
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Give me a list of the books you want, or just a few, and I'll see if I can find them. If I can then I'll sort you out.

That Project Gutenberg looks like as great place. I've seen it before but had forgotten all about it. Thanks!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

That Project Gutenberg looks like as great place. I've seen it before but had forgotten all about it. Thanks!

Indeed. Well, if there's anything you can't find there then let me know.

• Like 4

.bless your heart kmt-sesh. . very sorry for your immense loss. Glad you are still with us, and back to your nightly reading at least.  Much love and good wishes.

(hoping you can somehow recover some of your Books).  ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

^ that is so incredibly generous and kind of you...  .   .

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lightly said:

^ that is so incredibly generous and kind of you...  .   .

Thanks, but it's no big deal really. It wouldn't take me much time, per book, and wouldn't cost me any money. And, while I haven't interacted with kmt much, it's obvious he's a great guy who's loved by everyone here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

The Internet Archive also will have a wide selection of texts, too. But as Piney said, anything past an academic paywall you need, just let me know. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

Acadademia.edu is mostly free and takes a google/Facebook sign in to access. 

There's also PNAS, where you can get access to articles on a 6 month delay. 

Jason Colavito has a library of texts available, as well as translations he's made. 

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/the-library.html

It's a bit iffy for a few reasons, but 

https://b-ok.org/

Also is an option. I mostly used it for books out of print and no longer published that were uploaded. 

Just a thought....Library of Chicago? 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 5:07 PM, kmt_sesh said:

Hello, all. I'm turning to our community here for assistance. As most of you probably know by now, I suffered a nasty stroke. I was in the hospital and rehab for a damn long time. Now I'm waiting for a government program to find me a new, handicapped apartment. My previous apartment wasn't handicapped accessible, so it had to go.

My sister has no idea how valuable my library was, nor how advanced. I can't see regular people having much if any interest in my books. I looked up some of my favorite books at Amazon and quickly learned my library amounted to several thousand dollars, so it's not realistic for me to replace them.

I recently got myself an Amazon Fire tablet and have been downloading inexpensive e-books. This has enabled me to return to my routine of nightly reading, and I'm rather liking that.

All major publishers have e-books available on their websites. 

If you are looking for academic literature, Wiley Online Library and Proquest would be my best recommendations.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 12:07 PM, kmt_sesh said:

Welcome back buddy. What kind of books were you reading ? Didn’t get a chance to go through the post but if you did answer that with specific names I’ll see it.... probably should have done that before I posted this haha.... but did wanna say glad you pushed through the stroke.