Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lifting the lid on the old-time "freak show"

Eldorado

"Bewitching all levels of society, it was a world of astonishing spectacle - of dwarfs, giants, bearded ladies, Siamese twins and swaggering showmen - and one that has since inspired countless novels, films and musicals.

"But the real stories of the performing men, women and children have been forgotten or marginalised in the histories of the people who exploited them.

"Now historian Dr John Woolf uses a wealth of newly-discovered materials to bring to life the often tragic, sometimes triumphant but always extraordinary stories of people who used their disabilities and difference to become some of the first international celebrities."

Ful article at the UK Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7698331/Lifting-curtain-freak-New-book-reveals-stories-Victorian-circus-acts.html

• Like 2

Have you ever seen the movie by   Tod Browning.

When i saw this movie, it opened all of this up to me. make sure you have a box or two of tissues, it broke my heart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Schlitzie.