Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The nails of crucifixion of Jesus found?

The Eternal Flame

An investigator may have discovered the nails used to crucify Jesus Christ on the cross. These objects had disappeared from a tomb in Jerusalem 30 years ago, according to a documentary. 

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://activite-paranormale.net/mobile/read/17547&xid=17259,15700022,15700043,15700186,15700191,15700256,15700259,15700262,15700265,15700271,15700283&usg=ALkJrhgbCwtI9XwMFWkF69px1x-CpP4gBA

Edited by debra odem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Would the metal of the nails even be in existence still today?  I'm obviously not a metallurgist, but I kinda have my doubts about finding something that would be as random as the nails that held up Christ upon the cross.  How on earth would one go about proving those were the exact nails anyway?  :unsure:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Would the metal of the nails even be in existence still today?  I'm obviously not a metallurgist, but I kinda have my doubts about finding something that would be as random as the nails that held up Christ upon the cross.  How on earth would one go about proving those were the exact nails anyway?  :unsure:

Because the bodies were left to rot on the cross and not always nailed, crucifixion nails for that period are almost non-existent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Depending on the conditions they are in. A more humid environment promotes oxidation (rust). In a desert I'm going to guess the hot and cold over several years would/could make them brittle. If the nails had contact with human blood this would also cause them to rust. 

• Thanks 1

I mean a lot of people have been crucified. I think people have this misnomer that Jesus was the only dude that was crucified. Many women and men were crucified by the romans

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

About as real as those vials with slivers of the REAL CROSS for only 19.95 plus shipping and handling. But wait...!

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Because the bodies were left to rot on the cross and not always nailed, crucifixion nails for that period are almost non-existent. 

But Jesus was removed from the cross, so yknow, recycling and all that. The Romans were masters of recycling. Whole tribes in fact. Nails? Pfhtt. ;)

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

How on earth would one go about proving those were the exact nails anyway?

Not all that hard really.   You just take a sample from the Cloth Shroud of Turin and match the DNA on it to the DNA found in the rust of the nails. If they match...wallah...Jesus' nails!

Edited by joc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have some bricks from The Three Little Pigs.

• Haha 6

Related:

"Nails are a rare things in tombs from Second Temple period Jerusalem," he told reporters, noting that there was no bone residue attached to them.

There were several theories as to why they might have been put inside a grave, one of which was that crucifixion nails were believed to be powerful amulets for the afterlife.

But there was "no proof whatsoever that these nails came from the cave of Caiaphas," he said.

https://www.seeker.com/nails-tied-to-jesus-crucifixion-found-1765201328.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping for that magic basket capable of multiplying fish and bread can be found...

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

I'm hoping for that magic basket capable of multiplying fish and bread can be found...

~

I just want a vile of his sweat. Ya know. To attract the ladies.

• Haha 3

Holy relics have been manufactured in Palestine for 2000 years--it's still a thriving cottage industry. Tourist buy vials of tap water labeled Jordon River water, which, technically, it is.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Many iron artifacts from this period and before have been found, i can't see how it would be possible to prove if they were used in the crucifixion.

Here's a nail and a bone from an unfortunate victim.

Heel-bone-and-nail-from-the-ossuary-of-%

• Thanks 2

"Thousands of Spartacus' rebel slaves were crucified along the roads leading to Rome, after the rebellion's bloody suppression. Now these upstart Christiani dare worship a man executed in this ignominious manner claiming he came off his tree and walks, living. Yet, at the same time, they pretend to consume his flesh and drink his blood in some sort of horrific act of ritual cannibalism.  They forego the civilized worship and propitiation of the gods of their ancestors and nation. Enough to make a barbarian Pict, painted in blue woad, vomit."