Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S Senate Unanimously passes HK Support Bill

spartan max2

The Senate bill, approved through a unanimous consent vote, would require the U.S. secretary of state to certify annually that Hong Kong remained sufficiently independent from Beijing to warrant the special status that has helped the city grow into a global financial hub. It would also task the president with placing sanctions on individuals who have suppressed human rights in Hong Kong.

Also,

The Senate also unanimously passed legislation barring the U.S. sale of certain munitions, including tear gas and pepper spray, to the Hong Kong Police Force. The House has passed similar legislation

https://www.wsj.com/articles/senate-unanimously-approves-measure-backing-hong-kong-protesters-11574205044

I can't remember when the Senate last had an unanimous vote. (At least in my short life lol). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Also,

https://www.wsj.com/articles/senate-unanimously-approves-measure-backing-hong-kong-protesters-11574205044

I can't remember when the Senate last had an unanimous vote. (At least in my short life lol). 

This is good, thanks for sharing Max.  Bout time they did some work over there :P 

• Like 5

Well, well, well. Something done right for a change. Here that, China? The world is finally tiring of your shenanigans. I hope all your old decrepid political cronies suffer a collective anurism so that younger, more able people can govern instead. Canada has already said that you can stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

the special status that has helped the city grow into a global financial hub.

Absolute lawlessness allowing criminal activity to run amok. :yes:

.....and a nice place for a corrupt American exc. or politician to hide his dirty money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The next occupy Wall Street and extinction rebellion movements currently being planned is going to be very interesting... 

:lol:

~

Edited by third_eye
Addendum
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, aztek said:

does china care?

China's CCP warned that passing the bill would have (unspecified) "consequences".

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

China's CCP warned that passing the bill would have (unspecified) "consequences".

i'm sure they will continue to do what they plan to do about HK, ignoring the bill,  after all, it is their territory, the lease is expired.

as for consequences, they'll probably pass their own bill of some sort, that wont affect us much either

Edited by aztek

Evolution, missing links, whistle blowing and benefit of doubts... 

[00.13:27]

~

• Haha 1

The bill has now passed the house and it is at Trump's decision to sign or not.

China issues a warning to Trump.

China on Thursday demanded President Donald Trump veto legislation aimed at supporting human rights in Hong Kong and renewed a threat to take “strong countermeasures” if the bills become law.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/china-demands-trump-veto-bills-hong-kong-67191271

Edited by spartan max2

On 11/20/2019 at 1:28 AM, spartan max2 said:

Also,

The sanctions on Russia in 2017 were near-unanimous.

The Senate overwhelmingly voted Thursday to impose new sanctions on Russia, joining the House in approving the measure by veto-proof margins.

The vote on the bill — which would also add sanctions against North Korea and Iran — was 98-2, with only Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Rand Paul, R-Ky., dissenting. The House passed the measure on Tuesday by 419-3.

The bill targets Russia's aggression in Ukraine and Syria, citing corruption, human rights abuses and weapons sales.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/senate-joins-house-overwhelmingly-passing-new-russian-sanctions-n787291

Trump, for some inexplicable reason, still hasn't signed it, as far as I'm aware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The sanctions on Russia in 2017 were near-unanimous.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/senate-joins-house-overwhelmingly-passing-new-russian-sanctions-n787291

Trump, for some inexplicable reason, still hasn't signed it, as far as I'm aware.

Thanks.

I disagree when Bernie and Rands vote on that past one. They both made their forgien policies clear a long time ago, they are consistent at least lol.

Edited by spartan max2

43 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Thanks.

I disagree when Bernie and Rands vote on that past one. They both made their forgien policies clear a long time ago, they are consistent at least lol.

I don't know about Paul's but I believe Sanders had objections to Iran being included considering they hadn't done anything wrong and were complying with their deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

no, he hasn't, nor he should

It passed Unanimously in the Senate and with all but one vote in the House.

That's the two thirds required to block a president from being able to veto a bill.

It is passed. 

Edited by spartan max2

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It passed Unanimously in the Senate and with all but one vote in the House.

That's the two thirds required to block a president from being able to veto a bill.

It is passed. 

good, now tell me honestly how do you think it will affect china's behavior towards HK,? it is THEIR internal issue after all,  now think about Magnitski act,  it did absolutely NOTING to improve alleged human rights abuses in Russia, none , zilch, zero.  it was a feel good act that amounted to 0 actual actions, besides few officials banned from entering usa. 

now think who our biggest trade partner is, who do we buy 90% of stuff from, what do you think their actions will be for our interfering in their internal affairs,  think with your brain, not your emotions. what good will it do, besides making ourselves feel good.

another Q.  will they have to vote to block veto, or veto has no power since more than 3/4 voted for the bill?

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, aztek said:

good, now tell me honestly how do you think it will affect china's behavior towards HK,? it is THEIR internal issue after all,  now think about Magnitski act,  it did absolutely NOTING to improve alleged human rights abuses in Russia, none , zilch, zero.  it was a feel good act that amounted to 0 actual actions, besides few officials banned from entering usa. 

now think who is our biggest trade partner is, who do we buy 90% of stuff from, what do you think their actions will be for our interfering in their internal affairs,  think with your brain, not your emotions. what good will it do, besides making ourselves feel good

Yep it's mostly symbolic. Doubt it will change China's behavior. But it at least sends a message to the protesters and world where we stand on the issue.

I don't care if they are our biggest trade partner and want to take action in that regard. Plus they need our trade as much as we need them.

I'm sorry you might not be able to buy the most expensive iPhone anymore? Lol

You shouldn't trade values for money. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Yep it's mostly symbolic. Doubt it will change China's behavior. But it at least sends a message to the protesters and world where we stand on the issue.

I don't care if they are our biggest trade partner and want to take action in that regard. 

I'm sorry you might not be able to buy the most expensive iPhone anymore? Lol

You shouldn't trade values for money. 

that is hilarious, you know it will do absolutely nothing, , you know it is their internal issue, and protesters do nothing more than destroying property, and commuting crimes, no different than antifa here,   yet you support them, oh well...

what values are you talking about?  HK is china's territory, legally.  what is that that china is doing wrong, and what do they protest against do you even know?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

that is hilarious, you know it will do absolutely nothing, , you know it is their internal issue, and protesters do nothing more than destroying property, and commuting crimes, no different than antifa here,   yet you support them, oh well...

what values are you talking about?  HK is china's territory, legally.  what is that that china is doing wrong, and what do they protest against do you even know?

Meh, agree to disagree about the entire situation, apprently lol.

Don't really want to rehash all of the  post I have done on the HK protest thread. 

You can refer to that thread if you like.

In the meantime it seems the vast majority of our nation disagrees with you. 

• Like 1

ok, found it, it is in the first post, of that thread

Hong Kong protesters stormed the Legislative Council on the anniversary of the city’s 1997 return to Chinese rule on Monday amid widespread anger over laws that would allow extraditions to China, plunging the city deeper into chaos.

don't they realize, HK IS china since 1997.  actually it is interesting, why they protest 22 years after the fact.  there is more to it, i'm sure

vast majority of Germany supported Hitler too, not really a good indicator

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, aztek said:

ok, found it, it is in the first post, of that thread

don't they realize, HK IS china since 1997.  actually it is interesting, why they protest 22 years after the fact.  there is more to it, i'm sure

vast majority of Germany supported Hitler too, not really a good indicator

Just to clarify for you. Since I came to realize you didn't already know what the protest are about. At first I thought you were asking out of bad faith. 

It initially started with the passing of a extridition bill. The bill would allow HK people to be extradited to China to be charged under China law. They assume the law would be abused by the communist government against dissidents. Which it of course would.

This caused the protesters because HK mistrust China's legal system. It has a pretty strong history of jailing pro-democracy journalist, politicians, and dissidents in general.

After some time the movement evolved into 5 specific demands listed below. 

https://yp.scmp.com/hongkongprotests5demands

Also they didn't wait 22 years. There have always been pro-democracy movements there.

Hence Tinannmen Square. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Just to clarify for you. Since I came to realize you didn't already know what the protest are about. At first I thought you were asking out of bad faith. 

It initially started with the passing of a extridition bill. The bill would allow HK people to be extradited to China to be charged under China law. They assume the law would be abused by the communist government against dissidents. Which it of course would.

This caused the protesters because HK mistrust China's legal system. It has a pretty strong history of jailing pro-democracy journalist, politicians, and dissidents in general.

After some time the movement evolved into 5 specific demands listed below. 

https://yp.scmp.com/hongkongprotests5demands

Also they didn't wait 22 years. There have always been pro-democracy movements there.

Hence Tinannmen Square. 

thank you for explanation,  still that bill will not do any  good to them, or anyone. i'm not a fan of pointless measures.  but then our politicians are very good at it. lol

seems like demand no2 is valid even in usa. 

Edited by aztek

it seems to me from post in protest thread, citizens are not happy with protesters, and again masked protesters, same as our antifa, wont be surprised if they are trained and paid by same people, as antifa, and pretty much any latest protests turned into riots worldwide,  same blocking the roads, using weapons against citizens, ... these are the people we supposed to support?????? now i'm even more against the bill than before i saw the video

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

it seems to me from post in protest thread, citizens are not happy with protesters, and again masked protesters, same as our antifa, wont be surprised if they are trained and paid by same people, as antifa, and pretty much any latest protests turned into riots worldwide,  same blocking the roads, using weapons against citizens, ... these are the people we supposed to support?????? now i'm even more against the bill than before i saw the video

Aztec you have posted tons of times on UM about how you won't let people take your freedoms or right, and how your gun would have to be pulled from your cold dead figures lol.

Unlike the rights and system we take for granted HK is actually struggling for it. 

What would you do if your goverment was about to allow the Chinese Communist Party to extradite dissidents?

What would you do if you were in a goverment that censors dissidents and jails pro democracy journalist. In a system where you do not pick your top leader?

It started very peaceful. But after weeks of police brutality, jailing, and banning of protest it started to escalate. 

Edit: I also don't know what video you are referencing. Many have been posted. 

Edited by spartan max2

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Aztec you have posted tons of times on UM about how you won't let people take your freedoms or right, and how your gun would have to be pulled from your cold dead figures lol.

Unlike the rights and system we take for granted HK is actually struggling for it. 

What would you do if your goverment was about to allow the Chinese Communist Party to extradite dissidents?

What would you do if you were in a goverment that censors dissidents and jails pro democracy journalist. In a system where you do not pick your top leader?

It started very peaceful. But after weeks of police brutality, jailing, and banning of protest it started to escalate. 

do you realize hk IS china.  extradition to where? another part of same country????? 

i did not see protesters on video, i saw rioters, destroying property and attacking citizens who are sick of them destroying their city. i have no sympathy for them,  i do have for citizens thou. and i do not believe now this is about democracy and whatnot, same forces behind rioter as behind antifa,  they say same b.s. antifa says

i'll take up your offer to agree to disagree.  

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1