Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can you survive with half your brain removed?

UM-Bot

I've heard of several cases of teens and adults who've lost half the brain through illness or traumatic brain injury. Most of them with therapy have lived a normal life.

• Like 1

Well, surely the people who put themselves up for political office are living proof. :mellow:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This gives rise to a very interesting question: Is consciousness neuron based? And if not, then what the bell is it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

This gives rise to a very interesting question: Is consciousness neuron based? And if not, then what the bell is it?

Oh no, you did it now. You know what that answer will be. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Oh no, you did it now. You know what that answer will be. 

I do. And you know my non-spiritual theory.

But it really is a scientific question, because it is among the unsolved problems in science.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If the brain adapts with half a brain, and we notice no difference in the person.

Then maybe we really do only use a bit of our brain :lol:lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems to me millions of us do already. Heck, some of those even become president.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Of course it's neuron based. The functions and pathways were rerouted not magically working with nothing. 

That's why they are studying it. To understand it. When we work out how exactly the brain compensates we can possibly apply that to patients affected by stroke, traumatic brain injury or other conditions. It would be a medical breakthrough. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Of course it's neuron based. The functions and pathways were rerouted not magically working with nothing. 

That's why they are studying it. To understand it. When we work out how exactly the brain compensates we can possibly apply that to patients affected by stroke, traumatic brain injury or other conditions. It would be a medical breakthrough. 

I tend to agree with you, I'm just not as sure.

You remember what Feynman said

Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, but none absolutely certain.

When I talk to scientists about this - what consciousness is, and what gives rise to it, they always end up saying "We don't know for sure."

On 11/21/2019 at 11:40 PM, sci-nerd said:

I tend to agree with you, I'm just not as sure.

There's more than enough evidence. We have even filmed a memory being chemically stored in a mouse brain. 

Again, that's why we are studying it, so we can apply it selectively in medical instances.

You remember what Feynman said

When I talk to scientists about this - what consciousness is, and what gives rise to it, they always end up saying "We don't know for sure."

Have you asked any why the attention schema theory isn't the best theory to date then? It seems pretty logical and robust to me 

Edited by psyche101

It best works on children or infants. Someone who's neromapping hasn't been developed yet, a full developed adult has so many memories I would believe that if and adult woke up it would be to overwhelming and they would go in to cardiac arrest. Could you even imagine having only half of your memory except this memory has 2 percent at the beginning, another memory the middle 40 percent, another the end of a memory but only 1 percent and so forth, because everyone is so different no neurosurgeon could possibly know this person needs this, this one this and that just to be you so your okay to make it, nor could they possibly cut one perfect memory out. It would be to overwhelming to wake up to, much less live with. I only know this from a blow to my head in a recent car accident. I feel like I can't figure something out but it's really important and I need it I need it like a dog chasing it's tail and trying to think about it hurts. Then I forget it stuck in everyday motions then I'm back I feel clarity like myself again. Then I realize everyone and everything I'm forgetting since the accident I panic cry don't know how to fix it then back to the motions eat, drink, pee, ext. For a while then clarity again which thank god are longer now and at least I'm not stuttering as much as I was at first I'm really slow and I still have trouble trying to word my feelings and thoughts a lot of the time still. For the first few months I stumbled around like a drunk person my eyes were rolling back in my head like passing out but still standing and so confused and dizzy and embarrassed so humiliating. And I catch my self saying "mother ****er" all the time and have been told that im saying it all the time and I had know idea and I recently started realizing it like I have turrets and there are kids around me in a store so embarrassed. It's very nerve wrecking realizing what's going on like you lost yourself then your sort of you but not all the way extremely nerve wrecking. 

• Sad 1