Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What would aliens be like?

Unusual Tournament

What would aliens be like?
Why do we always think that aliens would need similar life resources as we need on Earth for humans? The term “alien” means it’s unknown to us. Shouldn’t we change our thoughts about aliens? They might not need conditions like Earth 

http://theconversation.com/curious-kids-what-would-aliens-be-like-127289

• Like 4

They'd be the end result of evolution particular to their own planet. But, and it's a big one, natures endowment of fingers to mammals gave us powers far, far beyond the dinosaurs in a miniscule fraction of the time. Logic dictates that economical nature would repeat this successful strategy on other planets where favorable conditions apply. Some type of manual dexterity would be needed to construct space faring vehicles. 

Unless your talking about aliens so advanced, that they are pure thought and are much, much further advanced than we are to potatoes. In which case we would be ignored,  or looked upon sadly and humorously. 

If they are mechanical, we're probably doomed.

• Like 1

Many people including myself do not believe alien life means human resemblance. 

Condidering the 'short' amount of time humans have been on this planet compared to other life forms which were here before us and either died or have continued,  it is highly likely life on another planet could mean - a vast amount of other lifeforms.  Evolution has played a major part of the hunan existance,  if a human form were on another planet,  would evolution also be a major part there too and if so,  at what stage are they at and would they have evolved completely different to us depending on the atmosphere and climate there? 

Here is an example of evolving to suit,  there are many lifeforms on our planet which are blind because they do not need their eyes as they live in either dark caves or in the darkness of our oceans.

For example, eyes have evolved independently many times on Earth, so we might think it likely that aliens have eyes. The problem is that the different species on Earth are not independent examples, because they all descended from a single common ancestor. All life on Earth is related (literally!). Eyes may be common on a bright planet like Earth, but not a dark planet. 

https://theconversation.com/curious-kids-what-would-aliens-be-like-127289

We have a Sun,  but we slso have the dark side to our planet where creatures live which do not need light or heat from  the Sun.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

They'd be the end result of evolution particular to their own planet

What do you mean by this pleaee?  

Aliens will be rather familiar I suspect. There's no good reason to think otherwise. We know the basic necessities for organic life to exist. And we know that nature takes the simplest path. Carbon is the most abundant and the easiest co bonding molecule. We know that life needs water. Photosynthesis is a very simple conversion mechanism, and oxygen assists development. 

Convergent evolution has shown us this already via the billions of shapes life has already taken to adapt to the environment. 

Different planet doesn't have to mean different everything. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

What do you mean by this pleaee?  

That each planet would be unique and any life forms would have to adapt to the peculiarities of each planet. Gravitational pull, amount of sunlight, all land, all water, weather, and other stuff we can't control. 

If I'm to be flogged for posting this,  please be gentle. Oh, and my safe word is "poodle". *makes Bambi eyes*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

That each planet would be unique and any life forms would have to adapt to the peculiarities of each planet. Gravitational pull, amount of sunlight, all land, all water, weather, and other stuff we can't control. 

If I'm to be flogged for posting this,  please be gentle. Oh, and my safe word is "poodle". *makes Bambi eyes*

Ok poodle,  :lol: I just wanted to know what you meant by "They'd be the end result of evolution "

We do not know what the end result of evolution is or if there is one at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

What would aliens be like?
Why do we always think that aliens would need similar life resources as we need on Earth for humans? The term “alien” means it’s unknown to us. Shouldn’t we change our thoughts about aliens? They might not need conditions like Earth 

http://theconversation.com/curious-kids-what-would-aliens-be-like-127289

I agree that we have no idea what aliens could be like. However, people have a bad habit of thinking that they are similar to us. First we have no absolute proof they have ever visited our small little corner of the Galaxy. Next while I beleive in the vastness of the universe there is other life, we have no idea if it is even Carbon based life. Until we grow to the point of galactic exploration or until we are visited by aliens where it can be proven without a doubt the question above can not be answered.

JIMO

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Ok poodle,  :lol: I just wanted to know what you meant by "They'd be the end result of evolution "

We do not know what the end result of evolution is or if there is one at all. 

Yes, I never thought of it that way. Zounds, if my dimmness serves me, that would mean that the chances of evolving to a perfect state are slim to nil. What with the laws of probability and all. Right? *cringes slightly*

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Like me :-) 

Thats because you are an alien. :lol:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, acute said:

They be like cray.

As in fish?  

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yes? 

Unless he means Crayford. There are a few weird looking characters round there.

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

As in fish?  

I think he actually means Ronnie and Reg ...... oh and Charlie and who can forget their dear old mum Violet and dad Charlie

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

I think he actually means Ronnie and Reg ...... oh and Charlie and who can forget their dear old mum Violet and dad Charlie

Ear me old mucker,  its a K. Gunna ave to get Ron 'cement boots' Harris and Tony "6 foot deep" Smith to ave a little word in your ear.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Thats because you are an alien. :lol:

Singing " I'm a legal alien,  I'm an english man in New York "

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Singing " I'm a legal alien,  I'm an english man in New York "

Sting wrote that song for Quentin Crisp.

Show me your hat Walt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Sting wrote that song for Quentin Crisp.

Show me your hat Walt. 

He also wrote the Stalker song Everybreath you take.......

• Haha 1

Just now, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

He also wrote the Stalker song Everybreath you take.......

:cry:

7 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Actually makes sense of sorts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

:cry:

And the pervy teacher song" don't stand so close to me" which before he was sting he was a teacher and insists it wasn't based on personal experience 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree that we have no idea what aliens could be like. However, people have a bad habit of thinking that they are similar to us. First we have no absolute proof they have ever visited our small little corner of the Galaxy. Next while I beleive in the vastness of the universe there is other life, we have no idea if it is even Carbon based life. Until we grow to the point of galactic exploration or until we are visited by aliens where it can be proven without a doubt the question above can not be answered.

JIMO

Why wouldn't they be at least familiar in appearance and what would you propose that would be more likely than the very friendly carbon to allow bonds to form? 

• Like 1