Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are ghosts a sign that we live in the Matrix?

UM-Bot

Curry Guinn is a computer scientist and Julian Keith a psychologist so this is a very good topic for them,  but back to reality - no we are not living in a matrix. 

Let us just look at this

When you think of computer simulations, we've already made some pretty extreme technological leaps within a relatively short space of time. Look at today's video games and compare them to Pong - imagine what sort of worlds it will be possible to generate thousands of years from now.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/332271/are-ghosts-a-sign-that-we-live-in-a-simulation

These are man made based on  technology and imagination,  all that is needed to stop this is simply unplugging. If your device runs out of power you are right back mentally where you started out = in the real world. 

If we were living in a matrix,  we would know about it without the use of man made computers. 

The worlds generated are imaginative ones and can only be accessed to 'play' with a man made device.

11 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

no we are not living in a matrix.

How can you be certain?

If we were living in a matrix,  we would know about it without the use of man made computers.

How? Please elaborate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

How can you be certain?

How? Please elaborate.

Because computers are man made. As i have explained,  all you need to do is unplug the device to see you are living in a reality.

Humans are the only creatures which make and play computers,  what about all the other lifeforms on this planet,  are they living in a matrix?  

For those wanting to find out how certain we can be that we are living in a natural reality as opposed to a computer stimulation - stay off  computers for a month (at least) ,  take a walk around the countryside,  visit a volcano,  go deep sea diving,  read about the history and evolution of  mankind and have a look how this planet 'works'. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Because computers are man made. As i have explained,  all you need to do is unplug the device to see you are living in a reality.

But if we are living in a simulation, the makers would most likely not be humans as we know them. They might not be human at all. And since our universe is in their computer, they are not even from this universe.

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

For those wanting to find out how certain we can be that we are living in a natural reality as opposed to a computer stimulation - stay off  computers for a month (at least) ,  take a walk around the countryside,  visit a volcano,  go deep sea diving,  read about the history and evolution of  mankind and have a look how this planet 'works'.

Just because something is incredibly sophisticated and well made, it does not mean it must be real. It just mean it's very advanced and with great care for details.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

But if we are living in a simulation, the makers would most likely not be humans as we know them. They might not be human at all. And since our universe is in their computer, they are not even from this universe.

Just because something is incredibly sophisticated and well made, it does not mean it must be real. It just mean it's very advanced and with great care for details.

OH FFS I can't be assed with this fantasy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

OH FFS I can't be assed with this fantasy. 

I'm not keen on discussing it either, but I can't ignore claims like that. Claims the dismisses something that you just can't dismiss like that.

• Like 3

Came here to read @sci-nerd's post ^_^ lol.

I always like seeing a debate on simulation theory.

Things going boring around UM sometimes haha.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Came here to read @sci-nerd's post ^_^ lol.

I always like seeing a debate on simulation theory.

Things going boring around UM sometimes haha.

And I didn't even comment the article yet. So let me do that.

If ghosts are real (big IF!), they are a violation of natures laws. They also seem clever, because they avoid leaving evidence.
Those are trademarks of the workings of beings beyond our universe. Beings who can do whatever they please. We could call them simulators, or even players.

In the unlikely event that the above is true, I think they are doing much more than playing ghosts. It could also explain the UFO phenomenon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sci-nerd said:

I'm not keen on discussing it either, but I can't ignore claims like that. Claims the dismisses something that you just can't dismiss like that.

As I said earlier

"Curry Guinn is a computer scientist and Julian Keith a psychologist so this is a very good topic for them," so one of their lectures on this would be interesting,  but it is purely based on fantasy. 

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

And I didn't even comment the article yet. So let me do that.

If ghosts are real (big IF!), they are a violation of natures laws. They also seem clever, because they avoid leaving evidence.
Those are trademarks of the workings of beings beyond our universe. Beings who can do whatever they please. We could call them simulators, or even players.

In the unlikely event that the above is true, I think they are doing much more than playing ghosts. It could also explain the UFO phenomenon.

The title is misleading here as  it makes out as if ghosts could be a sign we are living in a matrix,  but the professors do not focus on this,  they merely mention it along with others.

"Glitches in the system," he said. "Deja Vu, such as in the Matrix movie when a character sees a cat crossing a doorway repeatedly, may be one glitch. Ghosts, ESP, coincidences may be others."

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

As I said earlier

"Curry Guinn is a computer scientist and Julian Keith a psychologist so this is a very good topic for them," so one of their lectures on this would be interesting,  but it is purely based on fantasy. 

Not arguing with that. Except, in science, "pure fantasy" is called a conjecture. But it is a good and clever conjecture. One I've had for a few years now.

The title is misleading here as  it makes out as if ghosts could be a sign we are living in a matrix,  but the professors do not focus on this,  they merely mention it along with others.

And if it was not in the title, it would still be the main focus of the discussion, wouldn't it? :D

• Haha 1

If our whole universe is a sim created by beings outside it, there'd be no way for us (or any being inside the sim) to know it.
So...At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. It's just an interesting (for some) thought experiment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The simulation theory fascinates me. Whilst I don't think for one minute that we are actually in a simulation, it's very hard to argue against it and it would explain a lot of things (kind of). Everything we do/feel/experience would have been programmed in so we wouldn't know we were in a simulation, right? That's the whole idea I would think.

The ghost thing, I'm not so sure about. How come some people claim to have seen many, yet others, not once? I dunno, maybe a glitch, maybe not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stiff said:

The ghost thing, I'm not so sure about. How come some people claim to have seen many, yet others, not once? I dunno, maybe a glitch, maybe not.

I dunno...We've all seen pics on the internet, posters, etc. of Lamborghini's, yet not everyone has seen a Lamborghini drive down the street. It might be like that. I, for one, have only seen a Lamborghini drive down the street IRL twice, and I remember it well, as it's a rare event.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

And if it was not in the title, it would still be the main focus of the discussion, wouldn't it? :D

No doubt someone would bring it forward. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Seti42 said:

I dunno...We've all seen pics on the internet, posters, etc. of Lamborghini's, yet not everyone has seen a Lamborghini drive down the street. It might be like that. I, for one, have only seen a Lamborghini drive down the street IRL twice, and I remember it well, as it's a rare event.

I thought everyone had seen Lamborghini drive down the street at some point. Maybe my area is a little more affluent than most :D

I even got to drive one last year. Took me ages to work out how to get it in gear. Stupid paddle shift. :angry:

• Haha 1

Not the best example to use. Maybe you would have been better off using an alien spacecraft visiting Earth and doing its probing thing as an example.

I have seen pictures of mount Everest,  I do not need to climb it to know its there.

• Like 1

Just now, Stiff said:

I thought everyone had seen Lamborghini drive down the street at some point. Maybe my area is a little more affluent than most :D

Yeah, it depends on the area. NYC, Miami, LA... I'm sure you'd see Lamborghini's somewhat often. I live in Albuquerque, so...Not so often, lol. People in small towns/rural areas could easily go their whole lives without ever seeing one.

• Like 2

Yeah, it depends on the area. NYC, Miami, LA... I'm sure you'd see Lamborghini's somewhat often. I live in Albuquerque, so...Not so often, lol. People in small towns/rural areas could easily go their whole lives without ever seeing one.

There is a guy who works near our old marina who drives one. It looks so out of place it actually looks ridiculous.

Its like putting on a tuxedo just to go to MacDonalds for a big mac and fries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I have seen pictures of mount Everest,  I do not need to climb it to know its there.

I've seen pics of all sorts of things that aren't really there, though. Just to play with the idea of 'we're all in a sim' a bit more, all those photos of Mt. Everest could be fake, like the moon landing! (LMAO)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Seti42 said:

I've seen pics of all sorts of things that aren't really there, though. Just to play with the idea of 'we're all in a sim' a bit more, all those photos of Mt. Everest could be fake, like the moon landing! (LMAO)

Don't even go there with the moon landings. 

Mention it again and I will send my militant leprechaun marksmen out to get you.

(Will have them dressed as bigfoot so you do not recognize them) ;)

• Haha 1

Imagine if life is a prison simulation, and when our time for release is here we die and are brought out of the matrix?
Does that then mean that Serial Killers are actually wardens releasing us from out sentence? Or are they other prisoners who know the truth and want to help us break out early by speeding up our release (death)?
Would that make Hitler a person that managed to break out more people from cyber prison than all 5 seasons of Prison Break put together?
Controversial but mind-screwing stories can be created if you think too hard about it?

3 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Humans are the only creatures which make and play computers,  what about all the other lifeforms on this planet,  are they living in a matrix?  

Sorry I usually agree with you but not on this. Just like to say I'm in limbo with this theory as it cant really be proven.

Anyway think about this, just because we made computers, in theory it doesn't mean we were the only species to make them, in theory a more advanced race could've invented computed and were alot more advanced at it.

We could just be a game to them or an experiment. Again I'm not saying I believe in the matrix theory but in my humble opinion I don't think its impossible. And this is from a guy who disbelieves in god and ghosts.:lol:

• Like 1