Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did we kill all our human cousins?

Eldorado

"The spread of modern humans out of Africa has caused a sixth mass extinction, a greater than 40,000-year event extending from the disappearance of Ice Age mammals to the destruction of rainforests by civilisation today.

"But were other humans the first casualties?"

Full monty at Science Alert: https://www.sciencealert.com/did-homo-sapiens-kill-off-all-the-other-humans

And at The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/were-other-humans-the-first-victims-of-the-sixth-mass-extinction-126638

• Like 8

• The title was changed to Did we kill all our human cousins?

23 and Me says all of us have Neanderthal DNA so we didn't wipe them out, we just integrated them.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

23 and Me says all of us have Neanderthal DNA so we didn't wipe them out, we just integrated them.

I would expect not voluntarily. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Looking in the mirror I highly suspect I have Homo Erectus DNA too never mind the 2% to 4% Neanderthal DNA.

• Haha 2

I think we are a mix-up of different ''species'' of hominids. The fittest survived in the end until we have discovered an economy based selection system. Now we are screwed...

• Like 2

Of course we did, just look at our violent species, we are in the habit of killing our own. Ruled by greed, jealosy, anger, revenge, controlled by emotions decided by chemical reactions in the body. Evolution at its best. We kill everything we touch, beginning with our own natural environment, all in the name if comfort because most people are too lazy to walk 50 yards to the nearest post office. And don't forget our "need" for entertainment - we need TV sets, consoles and all sorts of gadges built from the innards of Gaia that we have plundered her of based on the false premise that her resources are limitless! The one species that is incapable of living in balance and harmony with nature, except for a few tribes we like to call "primitive".

Edited by Rolci
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rolci said:

Of course we did, just look at our violent species, we are in the habit of killing our own. Ruled by greed, jealosy, anger, revenge, controlled by emotions decided by chemical reactions in the body. Evolution at its best. We kill everything we touch, beginning with our own natural environment, all in the name if comfort because most people are too lazy to walk 50 yards to the nearest post office. And don't forget our "need" for entertainment - we need TV sets, consoles and all sorts of gadges built from the innards of Gaia that we have plundered her of based on the false premise that her resources are limitless! The one species that is incapable of living in balance and harmony with nature, except for a few tribes we like to call "primitive".

The skeletal evidence for warfare does not exist.

On 11/23/2019 at 4:23 PM, Desertrat56 said:

all of us have Neanderthal DNA so we didn't wipe them out, we just integrated them.

This is pretty much my view. All the species which ever crossed paths I imagine also bred at some point. Whether by choice, or more than likely, this...

On 11/23/2019 at 11:55 PM, Socio said:

There must have been a fair bit of rape from both species in a time where there was absolutely no law and order. I reckon it would've been pretty commonplace back then.

3 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

I think we are a mix-up of different ''species'' of hominids. The fittest survived in the end until we have discovered an economy based selection system.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 6:55 PM, Socio said:

Perhaps not by first choice, but even now, closing time encourages some interesting volunteers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rolci said:

All humans (Homo) engaged in the same killing activity. It should be pointed out here that the article claims we killed the others off. If we hadn't, one of them would have killed US off. In other words, you're lamenting your own existence.

The extinction of other species of humans was a natural outcome, as the article explains.

Plus, it's likely that diseases were the primary factor in the outcome. Diseases could account for the VAST majority of the population losses that lead to extinctions.

Harte

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 3:40 PM, RabidMongoose said:

The skeletal evidence for warfare does not exist.

Exactly as you would expect in a biological warfare.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we all come from Africa I'm not surprised to see why we are so violent. There is something about the African continent so heavily imprinted in ourselves that makes us to be so violent against each other.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Since we all come from Africa I'm not surprised to see why we are so violent. There is something about the African continent so heavily imprinted in ourselves that makes us to be so violent against each other.

Nope. Just nope. 

There were many pacifist ethno-linguistic groups in Africa, and many outside of Africa. But the most warlike (aggressive) are the most successful which is why you speak a Germanic Indo-European Language and not a Vasconic one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For Neandertal specifically, it seems there was a volcanic eruption around the time of the species disparition that lower their numbers quite a bit and made their usual land less inhabitable.Neanderthal never recovered, Sapiens took over the wasteland, thrived, killed a few Neandertals, mate with a few others and drown their genetic signal with always more fresh Sapiens coming in. 

https://www.livescience.com/48432-supervolcano-cleared-in-neanderthals-extinction.html

41 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

For Neandertal specifically, it seems there was a volcanic eruption around the time of the species disparition that lower their numbers quite a bit and made their usual land less inhabitable.Neanderthal never recovered, Sapiens took over the wasteland, thrived, killed a few Neandertals, mate with a few others and drown their genetic signal with always more fresh Sapiens coming in. 

https://www.livescience.com/48432-supervolcano-cleared-in-neanderthals-extinction.html

"But don't blame the volcano, a new study suggests.

"Most of the eruption's climate-cooling pollution spread east, away from Neanderthal territory, according to research presented Monday (Oct. 20) here at the Geological Society of America's annual meeting.

"The pattern where the cooling was most intense doesn't overlap with where most of the Neanderthal sites are located," said study author Benjamin Black, a postdoctoral scholar at the University of California, Berkeley."

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 7:20 AM, Piney said:

Nope. Just nope. 

There were many pacifist ethno-linguistic groups in Africa, and many outside of Africa. But the most warlike (aggressive) are the most successful which is why you speak a Germanic Indo-European Language and not a Vasconic one. 

I dont think language supremacy is the key explaination here. It was adopted by the conquered nations just as main reason to communicate together being split by so many dialects and cultural differences. I can argue as well that the war " aggresive" language has helped them unionizing to regain independence.  Look at all the killings and massacres happening all over the African continent;  tribes against tribes. 

Edited by qxcontinuum

8 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

Look at all the killings and massacres happening all over the African continent;  tribes against tribes. 

Everywhere else also. I was in Eastern Europe in the 90s and howabout those fun times the Middle East has been having.

The European religious wars of the 16-1700s was some great stuff too. 

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Everywhere else also. I was in Eastern Europe in the 90s and howabout those fun times the Middle East has been having.

The European religious wars of the 16-1700s was some great stuff too. 

True. This is why I said that we all coming from Africa have something bloody in our nature. It runs in our Gene's and perhaps could be traced to the African continent where our roots have started. Genetics are real, its hard to change something programmed deep within ourselves. 

That being said Denisovans have cannibalized themselves for a very long time as well. They got just a bit help from Neanderthsls to go extinct. I would say very similar to Maya culture who have extricated themselves off this Earth through sacrifices and mass murderer. Spanish conquistadors have merely contributed to some of their disappearance. 

Just now, qxcontinuum said:

That being said Denisovans have cannibalized themselves for a very long time as well.

I'd like to see a link for that.

• Like 1

How does the continent Man arose in affect Man's disposition?

Do you actually believe that had Man arisen in, say, Europe, then he wouldn't be as murderous?

Harte

On 11/25/2019 at 8:23 AM, Rolci said:

Dude, you have an unhealthy amount of self hate lol.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1