Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Letters from Martin Heinrich

Desertrat56

21 hours ago, Michelle said:

Not to mention they have the same access to our news as we do via the internet. It's quite rude and she makes the same accusation of anyone she disagrees with. Like they live under a rock or something. :rolleyes:

OK.  So, I have Ravenhawk on ignore but I see your response and his post.  I find it intersting because he doesn't even know how absentee/mail in ballots work in his own county or state.  How can either of you assume that people in other countries get the same news we do.  I know they don't.  We don't even get the same news from different networks owned by U.S. companies. 

Edited by Desertrat56

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

How can either of you assume that people in other countries get the same news we do.  I know they don't.  We don't even get the same news from different networks owned by U.S. companies. 

You think they get a different version of CNN, FOX, MSNBC, NYT, WaPo, etc...on the computer than we do? When I look up the BBC, CBC, AP, Telegraph, RT, Al Jazeera, etc...am I getting the US version? There are a whole lot of people like me out there who refuse to watch the talking heads and listen to their BS opinions on TV.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

You think they get a different version of CNN, FOX, MSNBC, NYT, WaPo, etc...on the computer than we do? When I look up the BBC, CBC, AP, Telegraph, RT, Al Jazeera, etc...am I getting the US version? There are a whole lot of people like me out there who refuse to watch the talking heads and listen to their BS opinions on TV.

Yes, it is called BBC, Al Jazira, Telemundo...   If we get BBC it is called BBC America, different than BBC

Edited by Desertrat56

Gawd, you're talking about entertainment channels and I'm talking about the news websites.

https://www.bbc.com/news

https://www.aljazeera.com/

https://www.rt.com/

Edited by Michelle

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Gawd, you're talking about entertainment channels and I'm talking about the news websites.

You are the one who mentioned CNN, FOX and MSNBC.  They are not news, they are entertainment with a little news splashed in.

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You are the one who mentioned CNN, FOX and MSNBC.  They are not news, they are entertainment with a little news splashed in.

Now you are splitting hairs. You do know NYT (New York Times) was just a newspaper don't you?

23 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

OK.  So, I have Ravenhawk on ignore but I see your response and his post.

I am honored but then you won’t see this reply so I can say just anything about you and you won’t offer a rebuttal.  Awesome!  Now I wonder, do I hold this high esteem singly or do others share it with me?  I have noticed that people with TDS do not have command of the truth.

I find it intersting because he doesn't even know how absentee/mail in ballots work in his own county or state. 

Here’s a good example.

How can either of you assume that people in other countries get the same news we do. 

It depends on what you mean?  If you are referring to a news outlet, then it depends on what outlets they have access to.  Now if you are referring to subject matter, then they can discern the news from how they consume it.  I can tell that those like @RoofGardener, @bee, and @acidhead are dead on with their understanding by how they communicate their position.  That’s more than I can say for *SOME* Americans here.  Many spend their time watching the MSM.  The more they get informed, the more ignorant they are.

I know they don't. 

You know nothing.  All you know is what is fed you – “Orange Man Bad”.

We don't even get the same news from different networks owned by U.S. companies. 

And?  You don’t suppose that by perusing multiple networks, that a person can’t piece it all together and figure it out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Michelle said:

https://www.rt.com/

I wouldn’t call bbc as an objective news source (not any more).  And Aljazeera & RT have always been questionable.

I just popped on RT and there was a very interesting headline that just came out.  Richard Spencer is backing Joe!  Say it ain’t so!!  Talk about a jaw dropper.  What will the haters do now?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I wouldn’t call bbc as an objective news source (not any more).  And Aljazeera & RT have always been questionable.

I just popped on RT and there was a very interesting headline that just came out.  Richard Spencer is backing Joe!  Say it ain’t so!!  Talk about a jaw dropper.  What will the haters do now?

:lol: I just put those there instead of the usual crapola. A few of the 15 or so sites I look at to get a well rounded view and sometimes a laugh like the Spence story.

• Like 2

Dear Friend,

The climate crisis is the most pressing issue of our generation. We are already experiencing very real and incredibly costly climate disruptions in New Mexico, across America, and around the world. These disruptions will only worsen in size and scope unless we take decisive action now. For the last two years, I have been working alongside my fellow members of the Senate Democrats' Special Committee on the Climate Crisis to address the mounting problems we face and to chart a new way forward.

Today, we released a comprehensive report on the climate crisis titled, "The Case for Climate Action: Building a Clean Economy for the American People." Our new report details how bold climate action from Congress can create millions of new jobs, grow the American economy, and improve people's lives across the country.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heinrich.sena

I encourage you to read the whole report by visiting Democrats.Senate.Gov/Climate-Report.

Especially as we recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, we should recognize that climate action and the clean energy transition are not only important for our planet. They represent some of our greatest opportunities to put Americans back to work in good-paying careers building a stronger future. We are already seeing this in New Mexico in our rapidly growing clean energy and outdoor industries that will be key to our immediate recovery and long-term economic growth in our state. 

Just like the pandemic, we will only be able to address the climate crisis by following the best science and bringing all available resources to bear.

We don't have any more time to waste.

Sincerely,

Signature

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

• 4 weeks later...

September 21, 2020

Dear Friend,

President Trump told a crowd earlier this month that that he has been "the number one environmental president since Teddy Roosevelt." I think it's important to clear up the record on his appalling record on conservation. That's why I wrote the op-ed below in this morning's USA TODAY.

I am also continuing to demand that President Trump remove William Perry Pendley, the anti-public lands zealot he has placed in charge of the Bureau of Land Management. I hope you can take a moment to watch and share the speech I delivered last week on the Senate floor.

Pendley%20Floor%20Speech.PNG
VIDEO: U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich slams President Trump's environmental record and calls for the removal of William Perry Pendley from his leadership role at the Bureau of Land Management, September 15, 2020.

I want you to know that I will keep doing everything in my power to stand up against President Trump's threats to our natural resources and keep fighting for policies rooted in the conservation of our wildlife, our water, and our landscapes.

Sincerely,

Signature

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

• Like 1

Dear Friend,

Today, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg became the first woman in American history to lie in state in the U.S. Capitol. I am filled with gratitude for Justice Ginsburg's extraordinary life that inspired America. For over a quarter of a century, she served on our nation's highest court with conviction and intellect, inspiring generations of women and young girls to stand firm in their fight for equality.

Justice Ginsburg was a champion for women - and all Americans - and an icon whose legacy will endure. Whomever fills her seat on the Supreme Court will have an enormous impact on all of our lives. A majority-conservative Supreme Court risks everything New Mexico values. It places at immediate risk access to affordable health care, women's rights, LGBTQ rights, workers' rights, voting rights, civil rights, addressing climate change, and so much else.

Never in the history of the United States has a Supreme Court vacancy been filled this close to a presidential election. Never. That shouldn't change now. We are barely over a month from the election. Voters in many states have already begun casting their ballots. It is absolutely critical that we honor the final wishes of Justice Ginsburg and fill her seat only after the next president is inaugurated.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell set the precedent for this very situation when he blocked Judge Merrick Garland's nomination for 293 days during the 2016 election. Majority Leader McConnell and all Senate Republicans should be held accountable to their own standard. Anything less is hypocrisy at its worst and a grave injustice to the American people. 

Senate Republicans' reckless rush to confirm President Trump's nominee to fill Justice Ginsburg's seat also demonstrates just how out of touch their priorities are. Millions of Americans are struggling to make ends meet and protect their health in the midst of the pandemic. After refusing for months to earnestly negotiate urgent relief measures, Senate Republicans are now ready to move heaven and earth to ram through their Supreme Court pick. It's disgraceful and a true disservice to the people we represent.

I understand if you are feeling despair and powerlessness in the face of all of this injustice. However, I want to remind you that your voice is still one of the most powerful forces in our country. I encourage you to keep letting me know your thoughts on this and other issues. And never stop raising your voice and fighting for our democratic values and principles.

I'm right there with you.

Sincerely,

Signature

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

• Like 1

Dear Friend,

A hundred years from now, people are going to look back at this time in Congress and talk a lot about the challenges, the changes, and strife. And then they're going to see some bright spots. Our public lands and outdoor recreation have proven to be a uniting force. What we've been able to accomplish for habitat, for wildlife, and for public lands in this year alone--particularly in the face of real hostility from the Trump administration--has been truly remarkable.

Today, we achieved yet another major conservation victory when the U.S. House of Representatives passed the final version of the America's Conservation Enhancement Act. I led negotiations of this bipartisan bill that will support critical wildlife conservation programs and address the threats of emerging wildlife diseases and invasive species. I am especially pleased that the final bill includes increased funding for the North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA). As a member of the Migratory Bird Conservation Commission, I help approve NAWCA grants each year, and I have been impressed by the program's demonstrated success in restoring habitat--including in the Middle Rio Grande in New Mexico.

I will never stop working to protect the places that New Mexicans cherish for future generations. Last week, in a key legislative hearing in the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, we built more momentum for two of my bills to protect iconic New Mexico landscapes.

VIDEO: U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich delivers opening remarks at a legislative hearing for two bills he introduced to designate portions of the Gila River as Wild and Scenic and establish Cerro de la Olla Wilderness within the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument, September 16, 2020.

The M.H. Dutch Salmon Greater Gila Wild and Scenic River Act would permanently protect the Gila River's free-flowing segments, attract more visitors to southwestern New Mexico, and grow the outdoor recreation industry. The second bill would establish the Cerro de la Olla Wilderness within the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument in northern New Mexico. It would preserve traditional uses and provide sanctuary to a wide range of wildlife species, while maintaining current access routes to the peak.

In addition to those two bills, I also recently introduced the Pecos Watershed Protection Act to prevent harmful mining operations in northern New Mexico's Pecos Valley. This region is home to a remarkably diverse community of farmers, ranchers, hunters, anglers and outdoor recreationists who are united by the beauty and health of the Pecos River and the expansive watersheds that feed into it. There is a dark history of poorly managed mining and development projects putting these New Mexicans, their way of life, and their cultural identity at risk. We must prevent future mining accidents that would cause further damage.

I am also continuing to hold the Trump administration accountable for its relentless attacks on our public lands and natural resources. Over the weekend, a federal judge in Montana ruled that William Perry Pendley, the president's "acting" director of the Bureau of Land Management, needs to be removed from office because he has been serving illegitimately. I have been leading the fight for months to remove Mr. Pendley--a man who made it his life's work to sell off, give away, and exploit our forests, mountains, grasslands and open spaces--from his leadership role managing so many of those very same public lands that we all love.

I hope you will keep me informed about your thoughts on our public lands, conservation, and other important issues. I want to assure you that I will keep standing up against any threats to our natural resources and keep fighting for policies rooted in the conservation of our wildlife, our water, and our landscapes.

Sincerely,

Signature

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

• 2 weeks later...

read full article here:

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/opinion/2020/10/14/we-need-protect-air-we-breathe/5954820002/

As someone with a background in mechanical engineering, I always believe we need to rely on science as we create solutions to the problems we face. The COVID-19 pandemic is a problem on a scale that most of us have never faced before. Many of the world’s brightest scientists are discovering new information about the virus every day. It is by definition a novel coronavirus.

Our understanding of how the virus spreads and what types of measures we should implement to mitigate its transmission will necessarily evolve as our scientific understanding improves. One thing that seems to be increasingly clear is that the virus is not solely spreading through close-range droplets. That’s what public health experts are trying to address when they call for people to avoid crowds, clean surfaces, wear masks, and maintain physical distancing.

• 1 month later...

December 10, 2020

Dear Friend,

Sixty years ago, our nation rose above the tyrannical and boundless ambition of civilization to preserve nearly 20 million acres of North America's wildest country and most important wildlife habitat as the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. It was one of the world's greatest moments for nature. But it was an accomplishment that will only stand if we, as a nation, have the will.

VIDEO: U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich calls for permanent protection of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, December 6, 2020.

I've had the privilege of seeing this great wilderness myself. But even if I had never set foot on the coastal plain or in the massive Brooks Range, this piece of public ground would still have deep meaning for me and more importantly for my descendants. This refuge, with its herds of caribou, its musk oxen and its polar bears, is the greatest down payment we can make towards a sustainable future for the coming generations. 

There will always be those who see a dollar beneath every acre of our public lands. We cannot let that shortsighted view threaten one of the world's last great landscapes. We cannot let that view rob our children of their inheritance. I stand with the Gwich'in people, with President-Elect Joe Biden, and with so many Americans who are standing up for the Arctic Refuge. We must protect the Arctic Refuge, for the sake of our planet and for future generations. 

I encourage you to write to me about your thoughts on this and other important issues. You can count on me to keep fighting for science and for our children's future.

Sincerely,

Signature

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Friend,

Tackling the climate crisis can often feel like an uphill battle in Washington, D.C., but this week has given me some measure of hope. In one of our biggest victories in the fight against climate change in years, we included a historic measure to phase down the use of hydroflourocarbons--also known as HFCs. Doing so will stave off nearly 2 degrees Fahrenheit of global warming.

In case you've never heard of HFCs before, they are compounds primarily used in coolants and refrigerants that help keep our homes cool and keep our food cold. These chemicals also have a harmful global warming effect that is many times more powerful than carbon dioxide. Luckily, the next generation of climate-friendly HFC replacements are already being made in America and sold throughout the global market. Thanks to our bipartisan agreement, we can finally phase down the use of HFCs. 

I am proud that Congress also came to an agreement on an extension of important clean energy tax credits that have helped us grow both the wind and solar energy industries in New Mexico. With our incredible potential for both solar and wind, New Mexico is poised to become a major producer and exporter of clean power--and create thousands of new jobs in the process. We saw new evidence of this just last week with the completion of the Sagamore Wind Project--the largest wind farm in our state's entire history. Sagamore employed hundreds of New Mexico workers and brought hundreds of millions of dollars of private investment to eastern New Mexico.

This is the type of substantive work across party lines that Americans rightly expect from the Senate. As we prepare to work with the Biden administration, I hope that Congress can build on this momentum and continue to take up important climate legislation in the new year. 

I encourage you to write to me about this and other important issues. You can count on me to keep fighting for science and for concrete climate solutions.

Sincerely,

Signature

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Friend,

I was right there last Wednesday when an angry mob of domestic terrorists assaulted and overwhelmed Capitol Police and stormed the Capitol building. We should all be clear that this happened because Donald Trump willfully incited this mob to riot and for weeks repeated the lies and conspiracy theories that animate them.

So should Donald Trump be impeached? Obviously. Should he be allowed to ever hold office again? Absolutely not. There must be accountability as we hold responsible those who committed these violent acts, those like the President who incited these crimes, and those who enabled the President's worst impulses.

But I want to be absolutely clear that there is a difference between accountability and retribution. I want my country back, not revenge. I am not motivated by the desire to punish this failed President. I am motivated by the desire to turn the page on this dark chapter in our country's history.

To do that, our first and foremost priority must be to respect the will of the voters and to successfully execute the conclusion of the 2020 presidential election.  

The peaceful inauguration of Joe Biden must be our paramount priority as we begin the process of returning this country to its rightful place in the world. Then we must govern and govern fairly, produce results for even the most disaffected, and create opportunities for ALL Americans if we are to begin the process of healing this nation torn asunder.

Sincerely,

Signature

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

• 1 month later...

Dear Friend,

This morning, it was an honor to introduce my U.S. Representative from New Mexico and Department of the Interior Secretary nominee Deb Haaland during her confirmation hearing before the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. 

VIDEO: U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich introduces Congresswoman Deb Haaland in the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, February 23, 2021.

Congresswoman Haaland is member the Pueblo of Laguna. She is a 35th-generation New Mexican. As many have noted, she will make history as the first-ever Native American Cabinet secretary, something that frankly should have happened a long, long time ago. Congresswoman Haaland knows firsthand how the decisions made at the Interior Department affect communities across the country, especially in rural, Western states and in Indian Country. 

During her hearing, I asked Congresswoman Haaland about the steps Interior can take to implement the Great American Outdoors Act so we can create thousands of jobs maintaining and repairing infrastructure on our public lands. We can put people to work immediately replacing roofs on visitor centers, repairing trails, and improving campgrounds. We also discussed why we need to prioritize replacing Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) schools that are creating dangerous learning environments and repatriating sacred Tribal items that have been stolen to their rightful owners.

VIDEO: U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich asks questions during Congresswoman Deb Haaland's confirmation hearing in the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, February 23, 2021.

I have no doubt that Congresswoman Haaland's bipartisan experience and her leadership will help us restore our nation-to-nation relationship to Indian Country, and make conservation and outdoor recreation a key part of our national economic recovery. I am confident Congresswoman Haaland will use the best available science to restore our landscapes, open up new outdoor recreation opportunities for everyone, put our public lands to work in confronting the climate crisis, and help Indian Country recover and rebuild from Covid-19.

I am eager to support Congresswoman Haaland's confirmation so she can get to work protecting our natural heritage for future generations.

Sincerely,

Signature

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fci4.googleusercontent.com%2Fproxy%2FwwwcvPq6vpxFyg5IAthzlJPmBDVEeLPDaw96Gp93MTcc9fzN1io1_kclLxobsDIqJY9oBY5fnolXCIyvbG_sT-Ou0mn_JP1ViTBE-LlP%3Ds0-d-e1-ft%23https%3A%2F%2Fs.bsd.net%2Fheinrich%2Fmain%2Fpage%2F-%2Fheinrich_primary.png&t=1614532505&ymreqid=143e43a8-1c98-e02c-1c52-64000b01ca00&sig=ghxxDeyirGVQh9buRymZSQ--~D

Team — here are just a few of the things we’ve accomplished because of your support over the past few months:

• Defeated Donald Trump and restored decency and integrity to the White House;
  • Identified and held accountable over 250 perpetrators of the attempted insurrection on the U.S. Capitol;
  • Raised over $33,000 to help flip the Senate blue — from this list alone;
  • Elected 40 dedicated local leaders to the New Mexico state legislature;
  • Reversed a statewide ban on medical professionals performing abortions;
  • Re-entered the Paris Climate Accords;
  • Implemented new measures to hold polluters accountable; and
  • Raised over $10,000 for food banks in Texas.

This grassroots team has accomplished huge things over the past few months, and now we’re looking ahead at all the progress still to come.

On 8/23/2020 at 11:42 AM, Michelle said:

There are a whole lot of people like me out there who refuse to watch the talking heads and listen to their BS opinions on TV.

Is that all talking heads or just the blatantly lefties?

15 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Is that all talking heads or just the blatantly lefties?

All of them.

All of them.

Well, I couldn't agree more.  I do look for facts.  I will listen to various analysts if the situation is complicated.  But I don't need opinions of a group of bloviators.  I have pretty good radar for individuals just trying to make me afraid or angry.

I might have said this before.   You live in a more complex and dangerous place than I do.  I have had it pretty easy with a lot more straight forward natural disasters than  people problems. I have not faced consequences for being unguarded,  trusting or indulgent.

I will say there was another protest in Portland over the weekend. From the news feeds, it looked like most  were young white kids dressed in black, but there was no BLM presence. I watched the feed, but turned down  the commentary.  I am aware that even camera angle and the shots the local station chooses to broadcast are not divorced from  editing choice and desire to sway opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I might have said this before.   You live in a more complex and dangerous place than I do.  I have had it pretty easy with a lot more straight forward natural disasters than  people problems. I have not faced consequences for being unguarded,  trusting or indulgent.

No, you haven't said that before. I would have asked you why you think this is so.

No, you haven't said that before. I would have asked you why you think this is so.

I live on the outskirts of town.  I interact with few people, and my job does not require me to travel through or work in dangerous areas.  Except for shopping, I don't even have to interact with strangers.  I haven't had the need to defend myself against human threats or think there is much possibility of it.  .  I have picked up from your comments that you have to be aware of the possibilities of threats and danger from other humans.  That is why in  conversations, I would not challenge you about the need to be armed.  I think your judgement is good.  When Gunn comments that a military style rifle may be necessary against wild hogs where he lives, I can see the logic in that.   

I try to deal appropriately.  In my case, deer, elk and other game animals do not require that much firepower.  In my case, I cannot carry a firearm into the plant.  When I was  a supervisor, I would have to report anyone I discovered that did.   I do understand that some people do.

• Thanks 1