Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT

teddy734

Thanks for that link. Now I feel really insignificant.

From many of those pictures, it seems that Hubble has gazed so far back in time, that we can actually see into a 70's discotheque.

485460[/snapback]

alien.gif Check this one out! Awesome, Picture from The Hubble Telescope thumbsup.gif

post-12871-1108321101.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zepher_One

• teddy734

• whoa182

• et's daddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Much like clouds on earth, I always see familiar shapes in the galactic kind. Sometimes they resemble a mountain range, and other times they take on a more organic quality, like some huge worm drifting in space. Although, it has to be said, that we can barely appreciate or comprehend the size of these gas clouds; only having mountains on earth as our reference for emense sizes.

BTW, the second picture on that film had a cloud in the top left that looks like it is giving the finger! God does have a sense of humour.

Bubble Bursts For

Pioneer Hubble

By Tim Radford

Science Editor

The Guardian - UK

2-8-5

It watched the broken pieces of a comet crash, one after another, into the clouds of Jupiter. It peered at a dark patch of sky no bigger than a grain of sand at arm's length for 150 orbits and spotted so many galaxies that cosmologists had to double their estimates of the size of the universe.

It confirmed the existence of black holes and caught stars in the act of formation. Its astonishing images have become the stuff of poster art and gallery displays.

But the Hubble space telescope, which orbits the planet 360 miles above the clouds and atmosphere, could soon plunge to Earth and perish in a fireball over the Pacific Ocean.

Nasa chiefs last night confirmed that their budget rise for 2006 would not be enough to cover the cost of a repair mission to the 14-year-old instrument. The US space agency will have $16.5bn (£8.9bn) to spend, but only $75m to spend on Hubble. This is just about enough for a robot spacecraft that could rendezvous with the world's most famous telescope and nudge it back into the deadly embrace of the planet's gravitational field.

The decision is likely to infuriate astronomers: last year the US National Academy of Sciences urged a final visit by a team of astronauts to Hubble, to replace parts likely to wear out in a year or two.

Hubble was launched in a blaze of glory that turned to tragicomedy: when the telescope returned its first snaps of the heavens, researchers discovered faulty curvature in its 2.4 metre mirror.

In 1993, astronauts went aloft and fitted the equivalent of spectacles, and suddenly Hubble revealed its astonishing capacity: it could resolve galaxies 13bn light years away, at the edge of space and time.

But techniques in Earth-based astronomy advanced, and British astronomers now use a telescope in Hawaii twice as powerful as Hubble.

Nasa began looking for ways to save money. "We have been as eager as the Congress to try to save the Hubble, but at the end of the day what we're trying to save is the science related to Hubble," said Nasa's controller, Steve Isakowitz.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005

http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/article/0,...1408048,00.html

Amazing slide show! Thanks for posting that link *smiles*. I agree that they should keep the Hubble up and fully functional until a replacement is found. There is so much that we can learn, i t would be a waste to trash the Hubble.

Bubble Bursts For

Pioneer Hubble

By Tim Radford

Science Editor

The Guardian - UK

2-8-5

It watched the broken pieces of a comet crash, one after another, into the clouds of Jupiter. It peered at a dark patch of sky no bigger than a grain of sand at arm's length for 150 orbits and spotted so many galaxies that cosmologists had to double their estimates of the size of the universe.

It confirmed the existence of black holes and caught stars in the act of formation. Its astonishing images have become the stuff of poster art and gallery displays.

But the Hubble space telescope, which orbits the planet 360 miles above the clouds and atmosphere, could soon plunge to Earth and perish in a fireball over the Pacific Ocean.

Nasa chiefs last night confirmed that their budget rise for 2006 would not be enough to cover the cost of a repair mission to the 14-year-old instrument. The US space agency will have $16.5bn (£8.9bn) to spend, but only $75m to spend on Hubble. This is just about enough for a robot spacecraft that could rendezvous with the world's most famous telescope and nudge it back into the deadly embrace of the planet's gravitational field.

The decision is likely to infuriate astronomers: last year the US National Academy of Sciences urged a final visit by a team of astronauts to Hubble, to replace parts likely to wear out in a year or two.

Hubble was launched in a blaze of glory that turned to tragicomedy: when the telescope returned its first snaps of the heavens, researchers discovered faulty curvature in its 2.4 metre mirror.

In 1993, astronauts went aloft and fitted the equivalent of spectacles, and suddenly Hubble revealed its astonishing capacity: it could resolve galaxies 13bn light years away, at the edge of space and time.

But techniques in Earth-based astronomy advanced, and British astronomers now use a telescope in Hawaii twice as powerful as Hubble.

Nasa began looking for ways to save money. "We have been as eager as the Congress to try to save the Hubble, but at the end of the day what we're trying to save is the science related to Hubble," said Nasa's controller, Steve Isakowitz.

494583[/snapback]

alien.gif This is a real Tragedy to our Universe being Explored more, if they refuse to update or Fix the Hubble Telescope, we have learned so much from the Pictures it sent back, and think of the knowledge we have gained and they want to Trash it? There has to be someway we can Save the Hubble, from being distroyed! Hubble, an be just as good as the one in Hawaii if updated ! What say you???? Zepher_one!

Amazing slide show! Thanks for posting that link *smiles*. I agree that they should keep the Hubble up and fully functional until a replacement is found. There is so much that we can learn, i t would be a waste to trash the Hubble.

494612[/snapback]

alien.gif I say Yeah, Keep the Hubble up and going! thumbsup.gif

post-12871-1108934213.jpg

I love the photographs and the music makes it more exhilerating to watch and enjoy. I have saved it onto my favourites.

I love it. grin2.gifthumbsup.gifgrin2.gifalien.gif

Bubble Bursts For

Pioneer Hubble

By Tim Radford

Science Editor

The Guardian - UK

2-8-5

494583[/snapback]

alien.gif Check this out, you may find it most interesting! htt://www.aliensthetruth.com/UFO.?ID=48 Zepher_one I live in Virginia

post-12871-1108995992.jpg

[attachmentid=12108]

Thanks for the link Zepher One. Also thank you for posting some pics off the hubble site itself thumbsup.gif

499087[/snapback]

alien.gif Your Most Welcomed thumbsup.gif Question? Do you think the Roswell incident was a Hoax??? Just curious! I believe it was true! What say you??????

post-12871-1109205721.jpg

woooooooooowwwwwwwww You guys should get the program clestia, I think you'd be interested in it.

It is really sad that everyone doesn't know. sad.gif

Did you know that mankind has already made it to other planets? And that clonies have already been set up? hmm.gif

It's a secret so don't tell anyone.

It is really sad that everyone doesn't know. sad.gif

Did you know that mankind has already made it to other planets?  And that clonies have already been set up? hmm.gif

It's a secret so don't tell anyone.

508127[/snapback]

Really? Care to explain how you know what nobody else knows?

I read... Duh!

Let your imagination take wings and soar off to other worlds.

(I was kidding)

Say something once...or say it again

513183[/snapback]

LOL never heard that saying before Nineteen..

513183[/snapback]

alien.gif "If you cannot convince them, Confuse them!" thumbsup.gif

513187[/snapback]

LOL, i'm out of here you're confusing me already.. tongue.gif

Have fun. thumbsup.gif

I read...  Duh!

Let your imagination take wings and soar off to other worlds.

(I was kidding)

511015[/snapback]

alien.gif "My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completly! "We all live under the same sky, But we don't see the same Horizen> thumbsup.gif

513183[/snapback]

513187[/snapback]

Have fun. thumbsup.gif

513191[/snapback]

alien.gif "When in Doubt, Mumble. When in trouble, Delegate!" Have any Topic your interested in ??? Please inform me! What's your view on Abortions? Just Curious!

513183[/snapback]

513187[/snapback]

Have fun. thumbsup.gif

513191[/snapback]

alien.gif "When in Doubt, Mumble. When in trouble, Delegate!" Have any Topic your interested in ??? Please inform me! What's your view on Abortions? Just Curious!

513206[/snapback]

We have had a topic about abortion my friend, i find it as very personal and who knows what is around the corner.