Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Men jailed after unearthing $15M Viking hoard

UM-Bot

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Great detail and spot on argument :rolleyes:.  Likely once again ignoring everything I've said about finds of cultural significance.  Not surprising at all.  

edit:

After looking up Staffordshire Hoard it's obvious that these are rare British pieces and not Roman, thus have nothing to do with what I was talking about.  But please continue to respond without reading or considering. 

6a00d8341c464853ef022ad37bf427200c-500wi

We had the exact same argument about the Staffordshire hoard, all made in 'the dark ages' if you want to be really impressed with English craftsmanship look at Sutton Hoo. 

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

British pieces and not Roman,

Roman is part of our culture, as is Celtic, Saxon, Viking, Norman, they all settled here, they're our ancestors.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

You've never said "sell it on the black market" "one at a time" "melt it down down"

No I did not.  Read through the thread.  

8 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

We had the exact same argument about the Staffordshire hoard, all made in 'the dark ages' if you want to be really impressed with English craftsmanship look at Sutton Hoo. 

No.  Buried in that dark age and likely made 100 years before. Do you read anything?

10 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Roman is part of our culture, as is Celtic, Saxon, Viking, Norman, they all settled here, they're our ancestors.

Roman coins.  The very least rare of ancient coins. The Celts and Vikings didn't mint their own coins they just used the Roman coins and the Normans probably used coins minted by the church which was the common practice back then.  

Edited by OverSword

51 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Roman coins.  The very least rare of ancient coins. The Celts and Vikings didn't mint their own coins they just used the Roman coins and the Normans probably used coins minted by the church which was the common practice back then.  

Here's a good old English word 'b******s' :) 

33 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

You said that on previous threads.

No.  I never said melt it down or sell it on the black market.  What I said is I would take it to coin shops or private collectors and sell it a few coins at a time.

22 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Here's a good old English word 'b******s' :) 

Never mind the b******s, what I said about the coins is accurate and Roman coins in general are not rare enough to be in a museum unless they are exceptional examples.

Edited by OverSword

44 minutes ago, OverSword said:

No.  I never said melt it down or sell it on the black market.  What I said is I would take it to coin shops or private collectors and sell it a few coins at a time.

Same thing, it would be breaking the law, dig the native sites it would be no different.

43 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Never mind the b******s, what I said about the coins is accurate and Roman coins in general are not rare enough to be in a museum unless they are exceptional examples.

No it's not, Celts made their own coinage before the Romans came here, The Saxons made their own coins, the Vikings (Danelaw) made their own own coins, museums have coin collections and have examples of all Roman coins minted in Britain, a Gold Roman coin minted in England found this year fetched over £500,000, yep that's right half a million pound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

Same thing, it would be breaking the law, dig the native sites it would be no different.

Completely different.

No it's not, Celts made their own coinage before the Romans came here, The Saxons made their own coins, the Vikings (Danelaw) made their own own coins, museums have coin collections and have examples of all Roman coins minted in Britain, a Gold Roman coin minted in England found this year fetched over £500,000, yep that's right half a million pound

The Celts in Spain and France did until the Romans took over, the Celts in Britain and Ireland did not.  The Vikings mainly used whatever they looted.  Danelaw is well after Vikings and concerns people who's ancestors were/may have been Vikings in Britain. 

Edited by OverSword

On 11/24/2019 at 3:35 PM, OverSword said:

This is not historical art representing a culture we are talking about, it’s loot hidden by a foreign marauder millenia ago and not really anything too unique.

Whoa...
We know maybe 15% of what there is to know about the Norse. A find like that can be of huge historical value.

28 minutes ago, Sakari said:

Whoa...
We know maybe 15% of what there is to know about the Norse. A find like that can be of huge historical value.

Loot.  You know, stolen from someone.  Not Norse.

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

After you had your say.  I had mine as well.  

Yes some are grateful for what they get and this way is easier than going about selling them yourself because you don't have to put forth any effort, but imagine if they knew they could have had double or triple the money?  Would they have then said "oh, it's alright.  this is good enough?

If you ever watched an auction television show you would know that somethings actual value is irrelevant if you get the right collectors in the room bidding against each other.  

Well I suppose that they wish they had followed the law now, they would have made a great deal of money, and best of all they wouldn't  be in jail. For the people this thread is about it was definitely a lose - lose situation.

Just now, Manwon Lender said:

Well I suppose that they wish they had followed the law now, they would have made a great deal of money, and best of all they wouldn't  be in jail. For the people this thread is about it was definitely a lose - lose situation.

Again, I'm not talking about this specific case in which these guys stole property from someone's land.  I'm talking about an unfair law in which anything in the ground is first and foremost a government authorities rather than the owner of the ground it came out of.  The guys in this story are thieves and deserved what they got.

9 hours ago, OverSword said:

Completely different.

No it's not, breaking the law is breaking the law.

The Celts in Spain and France did until the Romans took over, the Celts in Britain and Ireland did not.  The Vikings mainly used whatever they looted.  Danelaw is well after Vikings and concerns people who's ancestors were/may have been Vikings in Britain. 

Celtic coins.

celtic 1.jpg

Viking coin

viking 1.jpg

Saxon coin.

saxon 4.jpg

Norman coin. it's obvious you know nothing whatsoever about the subject, why are you pretending? 

Norman 4.jpg

5 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Norman coin. it's obvious you know nothing whatsoever about the subject, why are you pretending? 

Norman 4.jpg

Minted by the church. See the cross and the king representing Jesus.

Viking coin

viking 1.jpg

Norse coin not Viking. Look them up sometime. They terrorized the sea for 150-200 years, then became civilized and started building churches, trading for goods instead of stealing them, minting coins, etc

Edited by OverSword

No it's not, breaking the law is breaking the law.

Is shoplifting the same as murder?

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Minted by the church. See the cross and the king representing Jesus.

No minted in London, all the coins of the period have crosses on them, this is getting tedious, and what if it was minted by the Church, the king rules it.