Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Men jailed after unearthing $15M Viking hoard

UM-Bot

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Your claiming the history of your country is more important than mine.

Huh?

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

No it wasn't, it shows how dangerous googling can be with no knowledge.

I googled nothing, I just have a hobbyist's interest in the period.  Judging by the pictures you're the one who is googling.  And that's fine, nothing wrong with that.

Edited by OverSword

On 11/25/2019 at 5:46 PM, OverSword said:

Loot.  You know, stolen from someone.  Not Norse.

Did I say anywhere in that very small sentence, anything about it being Norse?

You should also educate yourself on what a "Viking" is.

9 minutes ago, Sakari said:

Did I say anywhere in that very small sentence, anything about it being Norse?

You should also educate yourself on what a "Viking" is.

Norse is from a geographic area, viking is a raider/marauder from that area.  You would glean not much about Norse, what you were pointing out, by examining a vikings loot, what the article is about.  You're welcome.

Edited by OverSword

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Norse is from a geographic area, viking is a raider/marauder from that area.  Thanks.

Close. Kind of. Marvel, and the History channel have it wrong.

Norse:

Of, or relating to the people, language and culture of Scandinavia. Norse(Adjective) Of, or relating to the North Germanic group of languages. Norse(ProperNoun) A collective term for Scandinavian (historically Norwegian) people.

Viking....Best description I could find without typing a long reply.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/text/word_viking.htm

• Haha 1

Basically what I said. I didn’t click the Viking link but a more precise definition is that Viking was the name of an action. We are going viking 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Basically what I said. I didn’t click the Viking link but a more precise definition is that Viking was the name of an action. We are going viking 

Here's a nice coin minted by the the Viking Norse king Harald Hardrada.

Harald Hardrada.jpg

41 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Here's a nice coin minted by the the Viking Norse king Harald Hardrada.

Harald Hardrada.jpg

You got me there. However if you google Harald and google the age of the Vikings he dies and it ends in 1066. So I suppose he was the very last Viking. Thanks, did not know that.

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You got me there. However if you google Harald and google the age of the Vikings he dies and it ends in 1066. So I suppose he was the very last Viking. Thanks, did not know that.

Here's one of the Viking Norse king Olaf Haraldsson, the grandfather of Harald Hardrada.

olaf 3.jpg

Pretty Gold Artifacts that are essentially useless — treasure?  

An original copy of Manetho’s  Egyptian History or any Lost [code for intententially destroyed] historical work of the ancients  — REAL TREASURE 

The punishment too great for the crime, their loss of the goods was punishment enough — eighteen years in jail funded by taxpayers — A waste of money. 

Edited by Festina Lente

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, hetrodoxly said:

...entry to museums in the UK is free of charge.  

Is that enough info?

Not quite. You forgot to include your sorces. Every time I go to a museum I have to pay. Interesting isn't it? Is there a secret free pass I can apply for? Please can you direct me to the website?

3 minutes ago, Rolci said:

Not quite. You forgot to include your sorces. Every time I go to a museum I have to pay. Interesting isn't it? Is there a secret free pass I can apply for? Please can you direct me to the website?

Living in New Zealand, how often do you visit museums in the UK?

https://www.centreforpublicimpact.org/case-study/free-entry-to-museums-in-the-uk/

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/free-museums-in-london/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolci said:

What Museums have you had to pay to enter?

15 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

What Museums have you had to pay to enter?

I'm not in the UK or NZ..

U.S. is a mixed bag of free or not museums. A lot of the bigger ones charge some fees/tickets.. and can depend on where or if one is a resident. A lot of smaller and more local ones are free and depend on donations and/or local taxes rather than charging an admission. A lot have a bit of something you can buy for a keepsake if you like.

• 2 months later...

"It is a criminal offence to not declare finds of treasure to the local coroner's office."

To any educated person, that sentence is criminal.

On 11/24/2019 at 12:28 PM, cathya said:

Report it to the coroner's office?  Why?  

Coronor means something different in the UK.  The US only uses a coronor for death cases, except in some remote areas.

I'm curious...

How does this treasure law, work with all the treasure Brits dug up in Egypt and around the world?

?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, quiXilver said:

I'm curious...

How does this treasure law, work with all the treasure Brits dug up in Egypt and around the world?

?

The law didn't exist then, you can imagine what treasures disappeared here and in Egypt and still do before laws were put in place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

The law didn't exist then, you can imagine what treasures disappeared here and in Egypt and still do before laws were put in place. 

Yea I know.  I was being Facetious.

So many of those treasures in the Brit museums are the cultural history of the 'appropriated colonies'.

I find it nauseating to enter museums with such 'collections'.

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Yea I know.  I was being Facetious.

So many of those treasures in the Brit museums are the cultural history of the 'appropriated colonies'.

I find it nauseating to enter museums with such 'collections'.

Different times, some saw it as away of saving historical objects, why do you single out British museums? what about Americans in Egypt and American museums? there's few museums you can enter without feeling sick, thought i had a pizza type slice in the British museum a couple of months ago and felt a bit nauseous. 

2 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Different times, some saw it as away of saving historical objects, why do you single out British museums? what about Americans in Egypt and American museums? there's few museums you can enter without feeling sick, thought i had a pizza type slice in the British museum a couple of months ago and felt a bit nauseous. 

The biggest, most powerful nations-state at the time probably took more than their fair share... I know a few Greek folk with strong views on the matter. 

—Jaylemurph 

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

The biggest, most powerful nations-state at the time probably took more than their fair share... I know a few Greek folk with strong views on the matter. 

—Jaylemurph 

The permutations are endless, if Napoleon hadn't been defeated it would have been France the same with Germany, if Carter hadn't persisted Tuts gold could have been found by grave robbers and melted down, the Parthenon was a blown up ruin, the Turks had turned it into a mosque and then an ammunitions dump that was blown up.

Edited by hetrodoxly

The strong stole from the weak. I guess if you need to parse it differently, you can, but /someone/ did the stealing, and should be held responsible for their actualities, not possibilities. 

My two cents, anyway.

—Jaylemurph