Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Not Your Huckleberry

Planning a Trip to Scandinavia

Not Your Huckleberry

Presumably Finland. 

It's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. The majority of my family is German, Finnish and Swedish, Norwegian and Swiss.Those countries and respective Nordic/Scandinavian cultures have always fascinated me. Speaking to relatives over there is always a blast, and everyone who has visited ranks it among their top destinations; not to mention that many of those countries rank as some of the 'happiest' in the world. I already know the people are amazing. Almost too damn pretty, but they can't help that. I'll be an anomaly. I'm 5'8". Some countries over there, the average guy is 6' minimum, often 6'3+. Hope Scandi chicks have a thing for short guys. 

Anyway. I'm going. Eventually, probably first quarter next year. Is there a best time to visit a place like Finland? There's no guarantee that I'll have family to stay with, so what's my best option for inexpensive but sufficient housing? Do they offer anything like cabins or other smaller housing for rent on a weekly basis? 

Honestly, I'm not even sure what the hell I wanna do yet. I know I wanna eat. I'm not a huge sightseer. I want to hike a Nordic forest and take in the beauty of it all. I'm not even sure how large of a city I'd want to stay in, or if I want to stay in a city at all. I'm not a big city person, but theirs are a bit different than ours. Something in between, maybe? 

So, enjoying Mother Nature and eating. My main priorities now will be the same ones when I get there... LOL. 

I haven't even made plans yet, so I'm open to suggestions!

'Walt' E. Kurtz

Hiya cool that you are planning to come this way. If you are planning to  come to Sweden and love hiking I recommend you to hike the largest peak in Sweden Kebenekaise. Note: since it's not one of the easiest hikes I recommend you to practice much before your visit. You also need good hiking boots :-). 

Here is some good links

https://www.swedishtouristassociation.com/trails/kebnekaise-a-round-trip/

Info about the mountain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebnekaise

Or you could go here: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Country_Cairn

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz

sci-nerd

Finland is not part of Scandinavia, but you knew that, didn't you? ;)

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
4 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Finland is not part of Scandinavia, but you knew that, didn't you? ;)

We all know the best country in Scandinavia don't we ? :innocent:

449px-Flag_of_Denmark_svg.png.5ba14a1c139b95a2e14f8d75e03d9e41.png

• Like 1

sci-nerd
18 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

We all know the best country in Scandinavia don't we ? :innocent:

We do have the highest frequency of sanity. It must be the ridiculous amount of alcohol we enjoy :D

• Haha 2

MainerMikeBrown

I'd like to see more of my home country, the United States.

However, if I ever do go to Europe someday, I'd like to go visit Scandinavian nations as well as other parts of Europe, such as Austria, France, and Scotland.  I've heard a lot of good things about Europe.