Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Submarine carrying 3 tonnes of coke caught

Eldorado

"Spanish police have intercepted what is believed to be the first submarine used to smuggle drugs into Europe and seized a reported three tonnes of Colombian cocaine.

"Police sources say that the 20-metre-long submarine, thought to be similar to those used by drug traffickers to transport cocaine from Colombia to Mexico and the US, was detected in waters off the northwestern region of Galicia when its three-man crew got into difficulties due to engine problems.

"In the early hours of Sunday morning two Ecuadorian men were arrested, but a manhunt continues for a third member of the gang, who is reported to be a Spanish citizen."

Full monty at the UK Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/25/spanish-police-capture-europes-first-narco-submarine-carrying/

And at the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/25/spanish-police-attempt-refloat-captured-narco-submarine

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

they drove a 20m submarine across the Atlantic ???

They used them to carry drugs up to the East Coast of the U.S. in the 90s. Technology is getting better. :yes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Piney said:

They used them to carry drugs up to the East Coast of the U.S. in the 90s. Technology is getting better. :yes:

Well, perhaps. But going up a coast is one thing. Going across the Atlantic is quite another. 

where are they getting these submarines FROM ? Who builds/sells them ? 

Just now, RoofGardener said:

They are home made. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Holy crap!!! A Wiki page!!! :lol:

I find it mind-boggling that people can actually build a fully-operational submersible, complete with environmental management (air purifiers/circulators), a dual diesel-electric hybrid drive, and the ability to dive to 20m and come back up again. 

It's just... mind boggling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

they drove a 20m submarine across the Atlantic ???

I doubt that.  Probably carried most of the way on a bigger ship.

• Like 3

So where the hell did they come from? I might expect it across the Straits of Gibraltar, but they'd have had to come some way to get to the north-western coast. Perhaps they were dropped off a larger ship somewhere offshore. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

So where the hell did they come from?

Last I heard. Drug smuggling is a big thing in Atlantis.

• Haha 4

According to a reconstruction of events by the newspaper La Voz de Galicia, both the DEA and Portuguese investigators had information on the movements of the submarine, which they believe made a stopover in Cape Verde and was also detected on the coast of Portugal.

Oh what rubbish. Cape Verde is 350 miles off the coast of Africa, and hundreds and hundreds of miles, probably thousands, to get right round Spain and Portugal. They're not trying to make us believe a 20 metre homemade contraption sailed there (and presumably, they're asking us to believe, sailed across the Atlantic to get to Cape Verde) under its owns team, do they? That's a feat of endurance that would put them among some of the greatest explorers. 

I suspect @OverSword has it right. 

The Sub was probably carried on a freighter most of the way across the Atlantic, and then lowered into the water by crane a few dozen miles off the coast. 

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's a lot of coke, but I like Pepsi better.:D

It's the "real" thing... 

Now imagine a mini dirty bomb if not a tiny nuke... 

~

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, perhaps. But going up a coast is one thing. Going across the Atlantic is quite another. 

They're like semi subs in the sense that they can't fully dive but the majority of the vessel is below the water line with a snorkel and top hatch above the surface. Giving authorities only the smallest of tells. You're absolutely right in that the crossing across the Atlantic would be beyond the endurance of such a vessel. I's imagine they usually hitch a ride with a larger boat and disengage when close to shore and offload their cargo along the shoreline with smaller boats. 

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

They're like semi subs in the sense that they can't fully dive but the majority of the vessel is below the water line with a snorkel and top hatch above the surface. Giving authorities only the smallest of tells. You're absolutely right in that the crossing across the Atlantic would be beyond the endurance of such a vessel. I's imagine they usually hitch a ride with a larger boat and disengage when close to shore and offload their cargo along the shoreline with smaller boats. 

I dunno @Captain Risky. Accoring to this Wiki article, narco-subs have been found that are capable of diving to 20m, and are fully operational submarines !!!! 

Utterly remarkable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narco-submarine#True_submarines

• Like 1

those are old semi submersible types, made for 1 trip only,  i've seen a program on that on history channel, now cartels build fully submersible crafts , that they use more than once, they have former Russian submarine engineers working for them now,  those subs will almost never be discovered in route,

also after USSR brake up, some number of subs disappeared,  coast guard thinks  there is an extremely high probability, cartels use them, real military Russian subs.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Some more info...

"The crew had apparently been travelling for more than 20 days, and had spent another seven waiting off Galicia’s coast in worsening weather for their cargo to be picked up. “Conditions at sea meant that the [craft] wasn’t able to deliver the drugs to a second vessel,” said a statement by the Guardia Civil."

"The length of the journey means the craft would have had to have been refuelled as it crossed the ocean. As such, police are now expanding their investigation to potential accomplices."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/how-narco-submarine-carrying-£85m-cocaine-was-captured-off-spain/ar-BBXrEUv

On 11/25/2019 at 12:52 PM, RoofGardener said:

I find it mind-boggling that people can actually build a fully-operational submersible, complete with environmental management (air purifiers/circulators), a dual diesel-electric hybrid drive, and the ability to dive to 20m and come back up again. 

It's just... mind boggling. 

You need a refresher on the Cartel's success. They have enough cash flow to fund their own space program. This isnt a street level operation any more. Wildlife management regularly finds cartel grow ops deep in the California badlands. Two cartel guys will dig trenches and lay pipelines miles long and pack in all their equipment by themselves. Some of their operations are pretty impressive 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Homemade narco sub captured by Spanish police in international operation could carry 2,000kg of drugs

Investigators believe the 30ft vessel, likened to an iceberg with most of it beneath the water, would be used to smuggle cocaine.

Sky news report :-- March 13 3021

Probably ferried across the Atlantic and dropped off the coast.