Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist Story

acute

I used to live very close to California in Birmingham (England).  The area had Weoley Castle, the Lapal Tunnel, clay pits and brick works.  Later, a tiny road called 'California Way' was built to divert the traffic away from the castle ruins.

A small number of houses were built nearby, alongside the Bourn Brook, and the residents immediately experienced strange phenomena.  Doors and cupboards opened and closed, lights went on and off, and there were footsteps and voices. When activity stopped in the first house, it moved to the next house, and worked its way down the whole of Dunnigan Road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is there any history on Weoley Castle other than they think it might be one of Willy the ******'s boot prints on the Saxon forehead? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was it the same Dudley who was knobbing Good Queen Bess? 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Was it the same Dudley who was knobbing Good Queen Bess? 

Well..... where do I start?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, acute said:

Well..... where do I start?

Well....hunting lodges were the usual places to do "bad things" where nobody can see them. :yes:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

Is there any history on Weoley Castle other than they think it might be one of Willy the ******'s boot prints on the Saxon forehead? 

Nah. It was way before Billy FrogNose. There's a medieval watchtower near by, which has been incorporated into a childs' nursery.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, acute said:

Nah. It was way before Billy FrogNose. There's a medieval watchtower near by, which has been incorporated into a childs' nursery.

I'm into the Cambridge report on it right now.......the Berkeley's owned it for a bit....that's why it sounded familiar. Those beer brewing boneheads owed my grandmother's family money for 400 years.  

Just now, Piney said:

I'm into the Cambridge report on it right now.......the Berkeley's owned it for a bit....that's why it sounded familiar. Those beer brewing boneheads owed my grandmother's family money for 400 years.  

Bustards!

• Thanks 1

Just now, acute said:

Bustards!

Did anything greasy happen? Like Quaker persecutions or Roman-Briton-Saxon battles thereabouts?

I know it was Hwicce territory. 

25 minutes ago, acute said:

They pulled a pair of  gilded "honor" spurs from the moat. Since you "earn" those spurs and they can be taken away, having been thrown in the moat is interesting. The owner of them had to do something really bad. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Did anything greasy happen? Like Quaker persecutions or Roman-Briton-Saxon battles thereabouts?

I grew up in Weoley Castle, part of Saxon Northfield.

Unfortunately, I am forced to live in Angle territory at the moment. (I'm not happy about it)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, acute said:

Unfortunately, I am forced to live in Angle territory at the moment. (I'm not happy about it)

What do you know about California Burnt Mound? The axes mean a high status fella was buried there.

What about Metchley Fort in Selly Oak? Any *horror stories* from there?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acute said:

I used to live very close to California in Birmingham (England).  The area had Weoley Castle, the Lapal Tunnel, clay pits and brick works.  Later, a tiny road called 'California Way' was built to divert the traffic away from the castle ruins.

A small number of houses were built nearby, alongside the Bourn Brook, and the residents immediately experienced strange phenomena.  Doors and cupboards opened and closed, lights went on and off, and there were footsteps and voices. When activity stopped in the first house, it moved to the next house, and worked its way down the whole of Dunnigan Road.

So there is actually a place in England called California that is not actually in the actual California? I'll need to send the Papameter in for circuit repair as it couldn't grasp the concept. I'll send you the bill, acute!!

But anyway more claims for poltergeist phenomena for those who say there is  no such thing as poltergeist phenomena. Eventually the thread the skeptics hold on to must be no more than a couple molecules. Do you know how thin a couple molecules is??

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, acute said:

Doors and cupboards opened and closed, lights went on and off, and there were footsteps and voices. When activity stopped in the first house, it moved to the next house, and worked its way down the whole of Dunnigan Road.

Wood?  Normal for doors to open and close on their own,  depending on time of year. 

The tunnel it self collapsed in the past and the castle is in ruins. So quite a bit of ground disturbance back then.

Depending on the stability of these houses,  movement and sounds would not have been unusual considering the location. There is water and tunnels in many parts round there. 

Have you got any pictures of the houses? 

12 hours ago, acute said:

It was way before Billy FrogNose.

Sorry..... I meant the area was lived in way before the Battle of Hastings, not the Castle.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, acute said:

It's debatable whether it was Hwicce or Dubonii.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Piney said:

What do you know about California Burnt Mound? The axes mean a high status fella was buried there.

What about Metchley Fort in Selly Oak? Any *horror stories* from there?  

There are a lot of burnt mounds dotted around Northfield and Weoley Castle, but they don't usually contain burials.

Now, I live a short distance away from the Castle, near Metchley Fort (Edgbaston). There are no remains above ground, apart from a few surviving earthworks.

The area was Metchley Park Farm until some idiot built a hospital over it. ^_^

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

So there is actually a place in England called California that is not actually in the actual California? I'll need to send the Papameter in for circuit repair as it couldn't grasp the concept. I'll send you the bill, acute!!

Send it to someone who cares! :w00t:

The history of California:

https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-c/california/

Edited by acute
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Come on, f2r, is that the best you can come up with? Subsidence causing classic poltergeist activity?

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Have you got any pictures of the houses? 

I believe these were the first houses affected:

Google Maps

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, acute said:

I believe these were the first houses affected:

We're there any recent deaths in the neighborhood?

It sounds to me like it was addled and lost. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Piney said:

We're there any recent deaths in the neighborhood?

It sounds to me like it was addled and lost.

It's clear to me that a previous occupier of the land wasn't happy about those houses being built.

I don't remember anything being there previously (in my youth).  Until West Boulevard was built over the brook, we had to trudge over soggy wasteland to cross at the nearby weir.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, acute said:

It's clear to me that a previous occupier of the land wasn't happy about those houses being built.

Do you know who they were?

Oh, just a little sidetrack. I noticed Rupert burned you out. You shouldn't of been making swords for those Puritan scum. :angry:

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Do you know who they were?

Possibly a brickmaker? (Just guessing)

The online maps only go back to 1888, but I'll take another look.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, acute said:

Come on, f2r, is that the best you can come up with? Subsidence causing classic poltergeist activity?

Not subsidence (,only ). Dodgy mdf  cupboards,  wooden doors and window frames, prefabricated houses,    probably built on flood plains. 

Hearsay and exaggerations

You know me acute,  bring me the 'ghost' or I will bring forth all the logical possibilities. :D

Saying that,  cute little houses.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Not subsidence (,only ). Dodgy mdf  cupboards,  wooden doors and window frames, prefabricated houses,    probably built on flood plains. 

Hearsay and exaggerations

Saying that,  cute little houses.

To be fair..... They are solid and not that little.  The style of house in the pic goes for £250k ish.

Premium build. If they were classed as Harborne (which they should've been) they would fetch £300k.