Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is so impossible that Atlantis existed?

Mello_

11 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

dreadful Alaskan Bull Worm.

They were in the Iberian Peninsula too? :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

They were in the Iberian Peninsula too? :unsure2:

Maybe the Iberian peninsular was near Alaska once ?

Afterall plate tectonic was apparently much much faster and more unpredictable in the past. :rolleyes:

Edit: I think I remember that an Atlantis expert claimed that Iberia was an island at the time ? :ph34r:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Maybe the Iberian peninsular was near Alaska once ?

No, that was Lemuria. :o..............or was it Mu? :huh:

• Haha 2

On 12/18/2019 at 8:55 AM, Orphalesion said:

Pesonally I think Terry Pratchett is one of the best fantasy authors there is. Sure the parody and humour are there and are a big appeal of the books, but even without them the Discworld novels are some of the best and most genuine fantasy I have ever read. The plots are interesting and offer suspense, the heroes are likable and generally good people without being paragons of virtue and a lot of the stories manage to provide all the things I love about epic fantasy without being seven books and thousands over thousands of pages long.
They are both incredibly funny parodies/humour and excellently written fantasy novels.

There you see how tastes differ.

I'd put the books focused on the Lancre Witches on the top of the list. Possibly with Lords and Ladies being the best one.

Then the Death novels.

And the books centered around the City Watch at the bottom, together with the Colour of Magic.

My love of the watch goes hand in hand with my love of Noir works. Vines himself embodies Chandler's description from The Simple art of murder.  "Down these means streets a man must go..." 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

My love of the watch goes hand in hand with my love of Noir works. Vines himself embodies Chandler's description from The Simple art of murder.  "Down these means streets a man must go..." 

That makes perfect sense. I'm not a Noir fan myself. I feel more at home in the Ramtops and all the eccentricities and little family feuds and solidarity that country folk have. Reminds me of my childhood and makes the characters that much more real for me.
I think I know people that are like Nanny Ogg, if that makes sense. And can remember things like everybody pretending that Shawn Ogg is the son of Nanny's late husband, even though said late husband has been dead longer than Shawn has been alive.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

That makes perfect sense. I'm not a Noir fan myself. I feel more at home in the Ramtops and all the eccentricities and little family feuds and solidarity that country folk have. Reminds me of my childhood and makes the characters that much more real for me.
I think I know people that are like Nanny Ogg, if that makes sense. And can remember things like everybody pretending that Shawn Ogg is the son of Nanny's late husband, even though said late husband has been dead longer than Shawn has been alive.

That's fair. 

My childhood was more along the lines of Vimes, so in a way I can more easily sympathize with him than some of the other characters. Despite being farmers instead of miners, the times I stayed with my grandparents reminds me of Carrot. 

For me, Vimes and characters like him helped me deal with anger issues I had from growing up. Pratchett's idea of first, second, and third thoughts have helped me there, as well as issues with bipolar. 

I dunno how much I picked up directly, and how much simply came from being given the mindset to pursue other interests. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

No, that was Lemuria. :o..............or was it Mu? :huh:

We don't get many Mu or Lemuria believers around here. It could be fun with some variety. :whistle:

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 5:28 PM, Orphalesion said:

Oh wow! You got to talk to him? That's so amazing!

Science fiction conventions, particularly small local ones, are wonderful places to meet and talk wit all kinds of folks.  It's even possible to have a meal with a group that includes George R. R. Martin.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Piney said:

It didn't need a sail. It singlefooted. :yes:

MINCED!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

It's even possible to have a meal with a group that includes George R. R. Martin.

Did you ask him when Winds of winter is finished..... :whistle:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

SINGLEFOOTED!!!!   :angry: 

Using large fonts in arguments is the sign of a charlatan.

• Haha 2

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Using large fonts in arguments is the sign of a charlatan.

Tell that to Harte. :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Piney said:

Tell that to Harte. :unsure2:

But I agree with Harte, so I will pick on you instead. 

If its good to have standards I figure doublestandards must be twice as good.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

If its good to have standards I figure doublestandards must be twice as good.  :P

If this gets any smaller, it will vanish completely

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Do you know what I like about Denmark? 

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

When did you become American??? :o

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

LEGO ?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Me ? :whistle:

• Haha 2

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

LEGO ?

No, the fact that if you even tell someone you were drinking and driving the whole town will whip your butt.

We have this jackass up the street bragging about his 103 DWIs. :angry:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Piney said:

Somebody sacrifice a ham to Our Past Masters to get a definitive answer to this. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Somebody sacrifice a ham to Our Past Masters to get a definitive answer to this. 

—Jaylemurph 

I already told everybody. The Alaskan Bull Worm was coming to eat the city, it was big, scary and pink. So the Atlantean Scholar Patrick Star said: "We should take our Atlantis and push it somewhere else."

And all the Atlanteans gathered at the South-Eastern Coast and shoved it into its modern position where it became Greenland.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

No, the fact that if you even tell someone you were drinking and driving the whole town will whip your butt.

Unfortunately we do have people who drinks and drives.

We have this jackass up the street bragging about his 103 DWIs. :angry:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-laws-against-drunk-driving-in-the-Scandinavian-countries-of-Denmark-Norway-and-Sweden-I-have-heard-that-their-laws-are-very-effective

In short he would have lost his car, his licence, served quite a long time in jail, plus around 103 monthly paychecks. :tu:

What kind of person brags about DUI's ? :no:

Edit: There was a football (Soccer) player, Niklas Bendtner, who was fined 157000 dollars. 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Piney said:

Nobody in their right mind eats members of the cabbage family in any form except broccoli and cauliflower. :unsure2:

What do you boil you silverside with, potatoes?

:sm

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Piney said:

5e9f2adc4978d92b7cb326f15327b1a1.png

Harte

• Haha 1