Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

University to Students on Medicaid:

aztek

The school, like many others, requires all students to have health coverage. But this month, the university made an unusual announcement: It would no longer accept Medicaid.

To remain in school, they would have to buy private coverage. The cheapest option available is the university’s student health plan, which does not comply with the Affordable Care Act’s consumer protections and would require (name removed) to pay a $3,125 annual premium.

“I’m disappointed that they’re showing prejudice against those of us who are poor right now,” (name removed) said. “I’m disappointed that I’m not going to be able to finish school.”

In an email last week to its 19,000 students in Idaho, the university appeared to tie its decision to the Medicaid expansion. It’s not clear how many students currently have Medicaid coverage, but the state projects that about 2,400 more people in Madison County, where the school is, would enroll with the expansion. The university warned that having too many students sign up for the public program “would be impractical for the local medical community,” an assertion a local hospital official rejects.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/university-students-medicaid-buy-private-195236364.html

seems like extortion to me,   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely  ^.  

Why should it be any school's business if a student has health insurance ?. . .or not ?   I don't get it. 

. . .ok....I'm guessing the 'rationale' is to protect the local medical $ystem. . .  Just shut up and teach. 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brigham Young teaches racist dreck anyway. It needs to be shut down.

16 minutes ago, lightly said:

Absolutely  ^.  

Why should it be any school's business if a student has health insurance ?. . .or not ?   I don't get it. 

. . .ok....I'm guessing the 'rationale' is to protect the local medical $ystem. . .  Just shut up and teach. 

it should not, but when same people own school and are insurance providers, their appetite grows. they want more money. 

i hope someone sues them, or better yet class action lawsuit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1