Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why call him a God?

Mello_

Who says its a "him"?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Perhaps God, good and evil are not what Epicurus supposes they may be and he should stop whining and blaming the Universe for being the Universe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

God is an idea. So "God" can be whatever fulfills a persons needs. We are quite adept at creating our gods. The temple of the porcelain god is visited often.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

Seriously!!! She was too damn bipolar and ragging in the Old Testament to be anything else.....

.........I'm in trouble, aren't I? :unsure2:

Yep you are in trouble.

Note to self: 

Forget the hat,  he is getting the shirt.

2 of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

2 of them.

I have plenty of petrol. ^_^

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mello_ said:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Epicurus, circa 250 BC

I want to hear Christians about this quote.

I'm not a Christian but I do have a perspective.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Sure God is able, only you, you reading this, you have to ask, make the first move so to speak. Otherwise God is trampling all over your free will, and even if  God is Everything, He isn't a hypocrite - its up to us to reach-out.

Is He able, but not willing, and thus making Him malevolent? Very able and very willing to help,  You have the greatest resources in the Cosmos, you just need to want it!

And, whence cometh evil? That would be those of us with a mind, and a choice.

The more we blame God for the bad stuff in the world, the less we get to try and understand the problem, and the antidote.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mello_ said:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Epicurus, circa 250 BC

I want to hear Christians about this quote.

It's a common struggle. Why are some mega rich and some dying of starvation.

Epicurus was just one of the first to see that the for concept is a man made and full of major flaws. 

Original sin is quite a conundrum too, supposedly commited by Adam and Eve, yet even the Catholic church recognises evolution, so Jesus could not have died for original sin, as Adam never been existed, yet we still celebrate the crucifixion. Apparently Jesus died for an accepted fictional characters wrongdoing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Who says its a "him"?  

Why would a chick create a man and then create another chick to be his helpmate?

Oh wait...I just realized the meaning of helpmate...I mean...Adam couldn't mate with himself.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

What interesting in the Bible which I read two times is following:

That God banned Adam and Eve not for eating from tree of knowledge but because they are smart now and could eat from tree of immortality. Thats interesting. Like he want that we expirience death becuase its process which he established. 

2 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

What interesting in the Bible which I read two times is following:

That God banned Adam and Eve not for eating from tree of knowledge but because they are smart now and could eat from tree of immortality. Thats interesting. Like he want that we expirience death becuase its process which he established. 

Where does it say this?

• Like 1

Just now, Mello_ said:

Genesis. Soon after they eat apple. If you wany quote I will search for it.

Yes. Please. And thank you.

Specifically where it says the reason they get kicked out is because after eating the fruit they were smart and were going to eat from the Tree of Immortality. 

2 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

...22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden...

https://www.biblica.com/bible/niv/genesis/3/

I wonder why god planted either of those trees where Adam or Eve could reach them...

So this means god wants us all to die.

• Haha 1

God was so good that he forgive them but affraid that they would become immortal. My version was that God wants us that we expirence life and death. 

To add some fuel. In Old testament Belzebub ask God if he can do things. Like in the Job. But in new testament no. 

I also did study how angels evolved in Bible. Relation Belzebub and Yahwe. Also I was sure that there were more than 3 Kings which visted Jesus.

And mostly highly interesting  is Jesus one of biggest miracle that he shapeshifted himself. And there are stories in Bible where apostoles didnt recognized Rabi at first but soon they realized it was him.

12 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

I wonder why god planted either of those trees where Adam or Eve could reach them...

So this means god wants us all to die.

Yes. To live is to suffer and that we die. Like Jesus. Like he wants that we learn something trough strugle. Perhaps only trough strugle we can learn about God.

Now to add something on Christian side of story. Imagine this. All Jesus pupils left him. All. And after Jesus died something obviously did happened. Why I think that?

Because all of his pupils died as matryrs who didnt wont anymore to betray Jesus. So after his death they met Jesus and they wait 50 days as Bible told us. Then also happened miracle flaming tounges and all that. They start to preach.

And they all died. Imagine you betray me. Not wanting to die protecting me. And after I die you for some reason die because of me. What made them to changed their mind? Obviously something did happened.

Beside I think that Book of Sirah is life coaching book. Sirah advices how to live is like he was life coach. For example he advices not to have threesomes and foursomes etc.

Edited by Mello_
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mello_ said:

God was so good that he forgive them but affraid that they would become immortal. My version was that God wants us that we expirence life and death. 

I don't understand. 

He created Adam and Eve. 

Then put them in a garden with not one, but two trees he didn't want them to eat off of.

Why would he need to forgive them?

He set them up for failure. 

I don't understand why he would be afraid of them becoming immortal. 

Many people in the bible supposedly lived for hundreds of years.

Some people die before they are born and some live for 100+years.

Isn't god in some sort of control over how long people live?

• Thanks 2

Well Jesus quote Enoch. Which was now consider gnostic book. Enoch speaks about Watchers on earth and so on. Anyway Enoch was so good that God took him alive to the heaven. He didnt died. Thats confusing. Maybe thats why is now left of Bible.

Edited by Mello_

5 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

I don't understand. 

He created Adam and Eve. 

Then put them in a garden with not one, but two trees he didn't want them to eat off of.

Why would he need to forgive them?

He set them up for failure. 

I don't understand why he would be afraid of them becoming immortal. 

Many people in the bible supposedly lived for hundreds of years.

Some people die before they are born and some live for 100+years.

Isn't god in some sort of control over how long people live?

He didnt set them to fail. He gave them free will. Perhaps if they become immortal he could not transfer them to the heaven? I dont know dude. Im just trying to explain it to myself also.

• Like 1

Trees are just metaphors. He said 1st that they can eat from all trees except those they eat. Meaning that they could easily eat from Tree of life. Yet after humans become smart or corrupted they knew exactly what is tree of life. And how would they become immortal. So God banned them.

9 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

He didnt set them to fail. He gave them free will. Perhaps if they become immortal he could not transfer them to the heaven? I dont know dude. Im just trying to explain it to myself also.

I'm just asking your opinion. I don't believe any of it ever happened.

• Like 2