Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why call him a God?

Mello_

12 minutes ago, Will Due said:

:tu:

And just think, there are still some who refuse to believe in miracles. :lol:

Like me?

The point of posting the Pale Blue Dot was to express one of the reasons I don't think we're special...

And I don't see what miracles have to do with this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Like me?

The point of posting the Pale Blue Dot was to express one of the reasons I don't think we're special...

And I don't see what miracles have to do with this.

You're alive.

But that's not all that's a miracle.

The miracle is that you're alive and at the same time, think you're nobody special. :lol: 

Which is exactly what makes you a very special ape indeed. 

Edited by Will Due

20 hours ago, White Crane Feather said:

Hahaha I’m sorry. It just that your reply was short. Let’s just start here. If there are only finite ways in arranging subatomic particles, then in an infinite existence, those arrangements will repeat themselves eternally. This means that a person’s life is a constant and will indeed never end. Not exactly an after life, but an eternal existence never the less. 

That is only one possibility. There are others. The ones that guarantee a finite existence just happen to be the most implausible. 

That's interesting. But observationally impossible to prove.

51 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

cropped-the-pale-blue-dot-header.jpg

Billions of species arisen and fallen on this planet and only one civilization building species evolves.  Special.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Billions of species arisen and fallen on this planet and only one civilization building species evolves.  Special.

How do you define a civilisation?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Will Due said:

You're alive.

But that's not all that's a miracle.

The miracle is that you're alive and at the same time, think you're nobody special. :lol: 

Which is exactly what makes you a very special ape indeed. 

That's not a miracle, that's the result of billions of years of evolution. A miracle would be a lump of clay spontaneously forming itself into a human being and taking it's first breath, thinking its first thought, eating its first food, etc. 

cormac

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

A place where things are civil?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

That's not a miracle, that's the result of billions of years of evolution. A miracle would be a lump of clay spontaneously forming itself into a human being and taking it's first breath, thinking its first thought, eating its first food, etc. 

cormac

Or, it could be a miracle that in terms of things eternal, billions of years are but a wink of an eye. ;)

Which is pretty special.

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

One species that outperformed its competitors and only did so AFTER introgression of genetic material FROM MANY OF THOSE SAME COMPETITORS. Interesting how that worked out, isn't it? 

cormac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Or, it could be a miracle that in terms of things eternal, billions of years are but a wink of an eye. ;)

Which is pretty special.

:sleepy:

cormac

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Good question.  

Civilization (or civilisation) comes from the Latin word civis meaning someone who lives in a town. ... A civilization is generally an advanced stage of organisation. That means it has laws, culture, a regular way of getting food and protecting the people.

That works.  To our knowledge no other species but man has done this.  No evidence Neanderthals had towns or laws so just us I think.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Unique? As far as we know. Special? In what way?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

One species that outperformed its competitors and only did so AFTER introgression of genetic material FROM MANY OF THOSE SAME COMPETITORS. Interesting how that worked out, isn't it? 

cormac

Yes, we bred them out of the competition.  

6 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

I would contend that the above could be used to argue that if the Judeo-Christian God made man in his own image he didn't have the foggiest idea what the hell he was doing since in order for us to be here and to have accomplished what we have in the last circa 300,000 years God had to make multiple forms of humanity, allowing each to evolve separately for different lengths of time, AND THEN allowing introgression of genetic material from several of those lineages into one (Homo sapiens sapiens) in order for us to reach the place we are now. 

cormac

• Like 3

1 minute ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Unique? As far as we know. Special? In what way?

Picky much?  Unique, special, whatever.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Good question.  

That works.  To our knowledge no other species but man has done this.  No evidence Neanderthals had towns or laws so just us I think.

Ants do. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yes, we bred them out of the competition.  

More accurately we INTERBRED with them until we were all that was left. 

cormac

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

I would contend that the above could be used to argue that if the Judeo-Christian God made man in his own image he didn't have the foggiest idea what the hell he was doing since in order for us to be here and to have accomplished what we have in the last circa 300,000 years God had to make multiple forms of humanity, allowing each to evolve separately for different lengths of time, AND THEN allowing introgression of genetic material from several of those lineages into one (Homo sapiens sapiens) in order for us to reach the place we are now. 

cormac

Well assuming that we were created in our creators image I would guess the buried meaning of that is our mind or seat of consciousness is the reflection rather than our body. 

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Good question.  

By scientific standards ALL members of Homo are considered human, and therefore "man", so you're not really helping your argument any. 

cormac

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

Yeah it's kind of miraculous. 

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Well assuming that we were created in our creators image I would guess the buried meaning of that is our mind or seat of consciousness is the reflection rather than our body. 

That's not what the Bible says in many places, as it gives God anthropomorphic features a "god" WOULD NOT need, so I'd say your assumption is in error. 

cormac

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Yeah it's kind of miraculous. 

More like probability and statistics, given the right criteria 'someone' would have done it. That's not really miraculous.

cormac

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

By scientific standards ALL members of Homo are considered human, and therefore "man", so you're not really helping your argument any. 

cormac

*Facepalm* Homo sapiens sapien then?  You know what I mean so if you have an argument why not just present it rather than quibble over terminology when the context IMO makes it clear what I mean?

3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

That's not what the Bible says in many places, as it gives God anthropomorphic features a "god" WOULD NOT need, so I'd say your assumption is in error. 

cormac

No emoji for exasperated 

• Haha 1