Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why call him a God?

Mello_

5 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

So for you then the Bible is not the inerrant word of God?  Interesting, seeing as how some would class that as heresy.  I however am on your side.  I in fact see little or no truth in the Bible.

I guess you haven't read many of my posts if that surprises you.  Actually reading the bible is a good defense against those who like to "beat people over the head with it", or use it to justify bad behavior, but unless you can find the orignal texts that were used to cobble together what is now called  the bible it is fiction, especially the english versions.

Edited by Desertrat56

On 12/1/2019 at 2:23 PM, Guyver said:

False.  Once again you present your atheist opinion on spiritual matters as if it were factual - it isn’t.  For those of us who have some understanding of faith and spirituality, we know that you are mistaken and don’t know what you’re talking about regarding these matters.

Living and practicing a life of faith is more difficult than living a life without it from my experience, and for tens of millions of others like myself who have some experience in these matters.

Living by faith is living life on a wish. There is a difference between wishing a thing and willing a thing. I'm an apatheist not atheist, I do not possess enough arrogance to fully assume I am correct. I also consider god an idea, which apparently makes people lose their minds. Regardless, I have stated it before that if faith helps you make it through life, so be it. I do not see it as being of value. I think it's a form of blind optimism. I also think it is arrogance as well, especially to consider that you as just another creature is more special than anyone else. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, Guyver said:

Or not.  So, since you have no clue if God exists or not, you are just stating your opinion...but you state it as if it is factual.

You failed to address the OP while stating your opinion also...so it’s like you just troll around looking to shoot down other people’s beliefs and questions as if your some kind of atheist shot sherif.  I think it would be better if you keep your own opinions to yourself in topics like this.  You have nothing to offer.

You also have no clue of god exist and yet you are under the assumption that it does. As for yourself, what have you really offered? Good discussion? Anger? The need for your beliefs to be correct what calling anyone who disagree's with you a "troll"?

On 12/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, Guyver said:

Then you should just be quiet, or find a new hobby....or both.

I do not recall you being my boss. Just remember that. You are not my boss. I do as I want. I say what I want. No one has to agree with what I write, no one. You have made that choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, White Crane Feather said:

One of my young students that has grown up and moved on to life is working on Quantum materials at Harvard. She has told me all kinds of crazy crap that just isn’t all the exciting to make into out to laymen like me. It’s  sounds like you are doing really interesting work. I wish I would have chosen a route like that. I am for my second career though. 

That's cool. What are they working on? I doubt it's silicone based..

Extremely interested. PM me if you are interested in discussing it further. 

Never too late to alter course, what would you like to study. MIT have a great free physics thing online. 

• Like 1

If life sucks, one can, never-the-less, try to make the best of it by whatever means available, or one can simply accept the fact that life sucks and wallow in gratuitous self-pity for the rest of one's life. Well, the former choice may be grandiose wishful thinking, but the latter choice really and truly sucks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Living by faith is living life on a wish. 

See?  That’s what I’m talking about.  Just as when you said that God exists only as an idea, you are stating your opinion as if it were a fact.  That is what I object to.  

I don’t think you actually know what it means to live life by faith, but it you do, it is certainly not the type of faith that I understand because it’s not wishful thinking.  

So, when you say living by faith is living life on a wish, I automatically assume you don’t know what you’re talking about or you must have a different meaning of the word in your mind.

4 minutes ago, Guyver said:

See?  That’s what I’m talking about.  Just as when you said that God exists only as an idea, you are stating your opinion as if it were a fact.  That is what I object to.  

I don’t think you actually know what it means to live life by faith, but it you do, it is certainly not the type of faith that I understand because it’s not wishful thinking.  

So, when you say living by faith is living life on a wish, I automatically assume you don’t know what you’re talking about or you must have a different meaning of the word in your mind.

To live for things not proven, that's a wish. To hope for things not proven, that's a wish. To believe in something without proof, that's wishful thinking. 

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Living by faith is living life on a wish. There is a difference between wishing a thing and willing a thing. I'm an apatheist not atheist, I do not possess enough arrogance to fully assume I am correct. I also consider god an idea, which apparently makes people lose their minds. Regardless, I have stated it before that if faith helps you make it through life, so be it. 

I would like to hear you elaborate on your understanding of the distinction between wishing a thing and willing a thing, if you are so inclined to state your opinion on that matter.

Regarding your apatheism, it doesn’t really matter to me what religion if any you follow.  What matters to me is truth.  

Before you said God is just an idea.  Now you say you consider God an idea.  The latter is much better because it’s more truthful.  You consider it.....it is your opinion.  I have no objection to you stating your opinions, or beliefs.  The only thing I object to is a false statement being passed off as a true one.

Anyway, I couldn’t agree more with you on your last statement, as I have told you before.

20 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

If life sucks, one can, never-the-less, try to make the best of it by whatever means available, or one can simply accept the fact that life sucks and wallow in gratuitous self-pity for the rest of one's life. Well, the former choice may be grandiose wishful thinking, but the latter choice really and truly sucks.

Wish all you want, I'd rather do something instead. 

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I would like to hear you elaborate on your understanding of the distinction between wishing a thing and willing a thing, if you are so inclined to state your opinion on that matter.

To wish for something is to create a vain hope for it. To will something is to do it. To create, not hope. 

Regarding your apatheism, it doesn’t really matter to me what religion if any you follow.  What matters to me is truth.  

Apatheism isn't a religion. It's the fact that I couldn't care if god does or doesn't exist, because all gods are man made and "If" a actual god exist, none would know. 

Before you said God is just an idea.  Now you say you consider God an idea.  The latter is much better because it’s more truthful.  You consider it.....it is your opinion.  I have no objection to you stating your opinions, or beliefs.  The only thing I object to is a false statement being passed off as a true one.

Correct God is a idea, just a man-made creation. 

Anyway, I couldn’t agree more with you on your last statement, as I have told you before.

If you agree with my last statement then why are you getting so bent out of shape regarding everything else. Is your faith that fragile?

You can change how you think and/or change what you do, but to hold that some imaginative being will bend reality to your will. All because you said a few words or held it in faith in wishful thinking. To rely on that completely shows a weak character. That perhaps such an individual is too afraid to act of their own accord. To take a chance. So they take the passive route. Wishing for something better, but too afraid to make it better. 

Xeno, I’m trying to respond to the first part of your post where I asked you to elaborate on the distinction between willing a thing and wishing for it.  You said, “To wish for something is to create a vain hope for it. To will something is to do it, to create not hope.

i hardly call that an elaboration, but thanks anyway.  I would make a distinction between wishing, hoping, and being optimistic as well as place living faith in a different category.  But since you intimated that you don’t care what I think, perhaps we are done here.

For anyone who happens to be reading and is interested, I don’t think a person can will a single thing at all to happen aside from their own actions.

Sit there in your chair and will the light on.  I mean, don’t get up and turn it on....just will it on.  Will the light turn on?  No, it will not.  But, via the force of your will, you can go turn it on.  A Hindu can contort themselves into a position and sit inside a small cardboard box for a week.....they do it by their will.

But what is really happening is that people are controlling their actions.  That’s what will accomplishes.  Aside from that it is nothing.  Wishful thinking is the hope that things will get get better.  Optimism is the willful choice to consider that things will get better.  

I consider wishful thinking akin to daydreaming while being optimistic is a willful choice.  Faith, as I understand it is completely different from both of these things.

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It is also my right to not care why you think. Seems to be a theme around here lately. Rude remarks directed to me, false accusations of trolling, etc. Funny though. I can just type 4 little words and people get upset. Just four. You also don't pay attention to the breaks I take from this place either. How I disappear for a few days, weeks, even months at a time. no you think I'm here 24/7. As time has passed I've gotten less and less interested in debating/discussing/arguing with the likes of those such as yourself. I wouldn't have to repeat myself so much if people thought more. It's all surface water and it's a shallow pond. 

I noticed that you took a break and I appreciate that because I think it’s healthy.  The other person who annoys me doesn’t do that so I just ignore them.  Anyway, my apologies for offending you and carry on.  Guyver out.

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

I don’t think a person can will a single thing at all to happen aside from their own actions.

Shallow waters again. To will something is to do something. This is my same complaint regarding prayer. You can pray day and night, all year long, but 10 minutes of effort by actually doing something is more potent than vain words. Why pray for your neighbor when you can offer a helping hand? Why have faith that things will work out, and instead make the effort to fix things? To wish or to will. It's easy to wish, to will something require effort.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

I noticed that you took a break and I appreciate that because I think it’s healthy.  The other person who annoys me doesn’t do that so I just ignore them.  Anyway, my apologies for offending you and carry on.  Guyver out.

You do not offend me, annoy, a little. But not offend me. I've dealt with others on here that are on my bliss list because of how useless they are to converse with. As I've stated before I don't get faith. To me it's a dangerous form of blind optimism and the last time I exercised that kind of faith, it lead me to suicidal depression. So no, I hold no faith in anyone or anything. Trust is an egg shell. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, freetoroam said:

Who says its a "him"?  

Apparently, Epicurus.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Lol. True.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You do not offend me, annoy, a little. But not offend me. I've dealt with others on here that are on my bliss list because of how useless they are to converse with. As I've stated before I don't get faith. To me it's a dangerous form of blind optimism and the last time I exercised that kind of faith, it lead me to suicidal depression. So no, I hold no faith in anyone or anything. Trust is an egg shell. 

OhOh X . .  .I Hope my blank post ^. wasn't taken as a slight of anything you or anyone else posted....it was a ,most likely, failed attempt at humor. . . .as for the bolded above, I'm sincerely  glad that you seem to be feeling better.  

Edited by lightly

What are they gonna do with languages that denote everything with a masculine or feminine article? 

Change the whole language?

Well that would be a cluster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, psyche101 said:

And the journey to an industrial revolution requires leaving that environment. Underwater species aren't going to be building rockets because they won't be able of tame fire, which is essential for an industrial revolution.

Yeah but my point was that high level intelligence may not be an inevitability from a n evolutionary standpoint.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Wish all you want, I'd rather do something instead. 

If substituting the word "rather" for the word "wish" makes you feel better......

46 minutes ago, lightly said:

as for the bolded above, I'm sincerely  glad that you seem to be feeling better.  

I am. Life is what life is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GlitterRose said:

What are they gonna do with languages that denote everything with a masculine or feminine article? 

Change the whole language?

Well that would be a cluster.

I've never understood why the irreligious worry themselves over such "religious nonsense" anyway. Why should one care how what one considers nonexistent is addressed?

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

I've never understood why the irreligious worry themselves over such "religious nonsense" anyway. Why should one care how what one considers nonexistent is addressed?

I can understand being concerned with the harm that is caused by some. 

But the argument of whether or not God exists does seem futile. 

We don't have an answer for that, and we're probably not going to change anyone's mind.

• Like 1