Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Mello_

Why call him a God?

701 posts in this topic

Hammerclaw
8 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I can understand being concerned with the harm that is caused by some. 

But the argument of whether or not God exists does seem futile. 

We don't have an answer for that, and we're probably not going to change anyone's mind.

Only the one's that want changed, which requires "a leap of Faith". Faith is never served to you on a platter by someone else. It rise of it's own volition from deep within.

• Like 1

Saru

Thread cleaned

Keep it civil please.

• Thanks 1

jypsijemini
On 12/8/2019 at 2:24 PM, GlitterRose said:

I can understand being concerned with the harm that is caused by some. 

But the argument of whether or not God exists does seem futile. 

We don't have an answer for that, and we're probably not going to change anyone's mind.

I think there's something deeper to the debate than whether or not God exists.

One side is completely adamant that they know the truth, and so is the other.

Many feel justified in feeling offended when their truth is denied, ridiculed and opposed.

But in terms of religion, it's one of the biggest forms of division.

The religious have many terms for the non-religious that aren't even meant in an insulting way - the non-believers, the pagans, the seculars, the sceptics, the cynics, atheists, agnostics, infidels, heathens. It disregards our shared humanity and separates people on the basis of spirituality. The saved vs the damned. The righteous vs the wicked. There's literally a whole bunch of terminology available to identify someone who doesn't believe.

And I won't go into the terms used by non-religious people about religious types. Most of them are just insults, whether they're used playfully or not. But surprisingly, most of the most common ways non-religious people term the religious is simple. "She's a Christian. He's religious. They're Muslims". People who don't wish to insult someone of a particular faith don't really have a list of alternative terms for a religious person.

There is still so much judgement between the two. Assumptions. Interpretations.

I think at the core of proving or disproving God is really just humanity's shared pain at this separation. Both sides are seeking unity. Religious people want to see as many people join them in Paradise as they can. And non-religious people want to help religious people to understand their perspective on faith and beliefs. Humanity wants to be united, to understand one another and to be in agreement and harmony with one another. Therefore we keep trying to bring people over to our 'side' because religion (or lack thereof) seems to be causing a divide.

I think it's different to a lot of things which have caused separation between humans. There are plenty of things people can disagree on but in general, they can either a) learn more and gain a better understanding or b) respectfully agree to disagree. Religious beliefs hardly allow for this. The themes are too black-or-white. Some branches of the religions have tried to blur the lines but the contrast is really ingrained and deep rooted.

Racism has changed a lot over the last hundred years. Not enough, by any means, but in most societies, we're well past the days of racial segregation and discrimination. Sexism has also come a long way, particularly in fast-developing cultures. Both still exist, but they're much less widespread than they were. We've worked really hard, both politically and socially to tackle these issues that once divided people in their everyday interactions with each other.

Belief separation and segregation is a whole other social ballgame. It's as if most people are unable to accept that what is true for one may not be true for another. One side requires concrete, irrefutable proof and the other is baffled that faith has absolutely no validity whatsoever.

Which is why both sides are stuck in this argument. They'll forever remain separated the longer they believe that unity will be achieved once their side convinces the other of their truth.

When in reality, compassion, love and acceptance is the answer. Allowing a person to believe whatever the hell they want - regardless of whether it is true to you. Respecting another person's beliefs and not trying to impose another idea on them, or to convince them that your way is right.

Harmony.

• Like 3

XenoFish
3 minutes ago, jypsijemini said:

When in reality, compassion, love and acceptance is the answer. Allowing a person to believe whatever the hell they want - regardless of whether it is true to you. Respecting another person's beliefs and not trying to impose another idea on them, or to convince them that your way is right.

Not all beliefs are good and people believing what they wish is a haystack waiting for a match. 

• Like 1

Guyver
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not all beliefs are good and people believing what they wish is a haystack waiting for a match. 

Right, but doesn’t everyone just believe what they wish anyway?  I mean, if someone doesn’t want to believe something anymore, they just change their mind about it and drop that belief.

I’m very careful about what I believe these days, and I don’t really care for believing as such because I don’t wish to believe something false as I have done before.  I do observe, experience, learn and grow as best I can, but darned if I can figure out what the heck we’re here for.  Life just seems to be a continual series of good times, bad times, and times in between as I see it anyway.

• Like 2

XenoFish
3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Right, but doesn’t everyone just believe what they wish anyway?  I mean, if someone doesn’t want to believe something anymore, they just change their mind about it and drop that belief.

I’m very careful about what I believe these days, and I don’t really care for believing as such because I don’t wish to believe something false as I have done before.  I do observe, experience, learn and grow as best I can, but darned if I can figure out what the heck we’re here for.  Life just seems to be a continual series of good times, bad times, and times in between as I see it anyway.

Like a stated, match and haystack. You see it here all the time. 

All I have to write is God is an idea. And people flip their ****.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

jypsijemini
8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Same as being rational and logical isn't always good because you're always going to be separating yourself from the emotional connection and 'human' side of humanity. Constantly explaining everything away just isolates you and feeling, believing people can't connect with someone who has an answer for everything and a mind that is closed to anything other than solid, concrete answers.

Even people who consider themselves to be rational, logical thinkers have faith. They're believing in the truthfulness of the facts given to them. They believe in the consistency and accuracy of reports and findings. No one person is able to conduct experiments to prove every theory they have, so they're relying on the truthfulness of others who claim to have done the research and produced their honest, accurate and educated findings. There's faith in that.

Sometimes beliefs are completely innocent and personal. My belief in reincarnation isn't about to start a fire. It doesn't affect anybody else than me. I don't live my life treating people like crap because I believe I'm going to reincarnate anyway. Sometimes belief is what inspires and encourages people to treat others better, not always worse.

It depends on the person, not the belief.

XenoFish

Being human, is highly overrated. 

• Like 1

lightly
17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think  ratings  are highly overrated.     .      .         .

• Haha 3

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
29 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

But its the only thing I have tried.

8 minutes ago, lightly said:

I think  ratings  are highly overrated.     .      .         .

I rate that comment as a 9 out of 10.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

lightly
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

"God is an idea".  .You'll Burn for that X !   .  .   :lol:.    

" people believing what they wish is a haystack waiting for a match ". .  try leaving the matches in your pocket .  ?    ;)

XenoFish
1 minute ago, lightly said:

"God is an idea".  .You'll Burn for that X !   .  .   :lol:.    

" people believing what they wish is a haystack waiting for a match ". .  try leaving the matches in your pocket .  ?    ;)

Words are what starts a flame war around here. 

• Like 1

lightly
14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Words are what starts a flame war around here. 

True.    In here words are sometimes the haystack...and sometimes the matches !        But, Some seem to have a special affection for causing  the  FIRE! ....pyromaniacs !  :P

Edited by lightly

Hammerclaw

Pilate: "So you're a King."

Jesus: "It's you that say I am. I look for truth and find that I get damned."

Pilate: But what is truth? Is truth unchanging law? We all have "truths".  Are mine the same as yours?"

• Like 1

lightly
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Well,. Ya!  Of course!    Some people believe in God , and tend to defend their belief ....when PROVOKED ! by statements like that ^

You obviously understand that  ^             . . you know that if you say it...someone will flip.

Conversely... If someone were to say something like....   God Loves You. . trust in the Lord and you WILL be saved.

.what do you think would happen?  . . Golden silence?    Hell no, some one would attack it.  Right?    Right.

it works BOTH ways.  

XenoFish
1 minute ago, lightly said:

Well,. Ya!  Of course!    Some people believe in God , and tend to defend their belief ....when PROVOKED ! by statements like that ^

You obviously understand that  ^             . . you know that if you say it...someone will flip.

Conversely... If someone were to say something like....   God Loves You. . trust in the Lord and you WILL be saved.

.what do you think would happen?  . . Golden silence?    Hell no, some one would attack it.  Right?    Right.

it works BOTH ways.  

Since god can not be prove to exist or not exist, then all we are left with is our idea of god. People and cultures craft various gods according to whatever then need might be. People like the idea that god is love, do they thus lack the feeling of being loved? Perhaps that has some truth to it. 

lightly
11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Since god can not be prove to exist or not exist, then all we are left with is our idea of god. People and cultures craft various gods according to whatever then need might be. People like the idea that god is love, do they thus lack the feeling of being loved? Perhaps that has some truth to it. 

That's brilliant X ! .  .    Your first point about people crafting gods to suit their needs  nails it !    .  . Both points show great human understanding !   !   

(Observes moment of silence out of respect).      :lol:

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 1

Rlyeh
On 12/6/2019 at 9:47 AM, Will Due said:

Evolution is not accidental. 

It's purposeful and directed.

Genetic diseases are purposeful?

• Thanks 2

Will do
26 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Genetic diseases are purposeful?

That's right. Pain and suffering has its purpose.

If you'll apply all your faculties to percieve things spiritually, you'll understand.

Now go ahead and laugh.

Sherapy
8 hours ago, Will Due said:

If you'll apply all your faculties to percieve things spiritually, you'll understand.

Now go ahead and laugh.

Some ideas  sound good until something actually happens to you. 

I am a caregiver, no one I have worked with says that their terminal situation or chronic pain has a purpose. 
They are busy coping trying to go on or deal with chronic pain. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Debra F. II
On 11/27/2019 at 1:44 AM, onlookerofmayhem said:

I wonder why god planted either of those trees where Adam or Eve could reach them...

So this means god wants us all to die.

The reason I believe is because he wants us to have morals and to do good, not bad. Choose right from wrong, believe in HIM, Trust 100% in HIM only! Above all else. I also think that in the beginning days, the temptation was brought their by the the evil one by Gods command or behind Gods back, while trusting Adam and Eve to follow his commands and while tending to other creations at that time is when the serpent struck, posed and offered. (I should probably look more deeper into this and do some refresher courses on this) but God intended the Earth to be as Heaven, but by not following his directions things went from really good to bad. We can all relate to this sort of thing in our every day lives and choices and temptations that are set in front of us and all day lonv. And this is why... to teach us that we have choices but our action have results and consequences. He then therefore accepts the choice Adam and Eve made, wanting knowledge, therefore God prepares a place for believers in heaven that we could no longer have on earth. Trials, sickness, challenges spiritual warfare, death and the then the day of our judgement is the result.

I think... it's not to our understanding, we can only do the best we can with what knowledge is there and that we personally have. Growth, wisdom and knowledge are before you and always will be.

Jodie.Lynne
10 minutes ago, Debra F. II said:

he temptation was brought their by the the evil one by Gods command or behind Gods back,

How can anything be done "behind god's back"? Isn't he aware of even the tiniest swallows fall?

It seems like your god not only set up an integrity test, but he also rigged it to ensure failure.

Nice guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Debra F. II
1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

How can anything be done "behind god's back"? Isn't he aware of even the tiniest swallows fall?

It seems like your god not only set up an integrity test, but he also rigged it to ensure failure.

Nice guy.

: ) take it as you will... 

Rlyeh
15 hours ago, Will Due said:

Now go ahead and laugh.

What is the purpose of being born with a genetic defect or disease?

• Like 1

Rlyeh
4 hours ago, Debra F. II said:

The reason I believe is because he wants us to have morals and to do good, not bad. Choose right from wrong, believe in HIM, Trust 100% in HIM only! Above all else.

When God tells you to kill, do you do it?

• Like 1