Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hospital gave wrong person kidney transplant

BrooklynGuy

New Jersey hospital gave wrong patient a kidney transplant

A New Jersey hospital admitted this week that its doctors transplanted a kidney into the wrong patient — because the person had the same name as the rightful recipient. The mix-up happened at the 325-bed Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden. Officials said a 51-year-old patient on a kidney transplant list was successfully given a new organ on Nov. 18 – but the next day it was discovered that the organ went to the wrong person because, “unusually, the individual who should have received the organ has the same name and is of similar age.”

Read more: https://nypost.com/2019/11/27/new-jersey-hospital-gave-wrong-patient-a-kidney-transplant/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

New Jersey hospital gave wrong patient a kidney transplant

A New Jersey hospital admitted this week that its doctors transplanted a kidney into the wrong patient — because the person had the same name as the rightful recipient. The mix-up happened at the 325-bed Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden. Officials said a 51-year-old patient on a kidney transplant list was successfully given a new organ on Nov. 18 – but the next day it was discovered that the organ went to the wrong person because, “unusually, the individual who should have received the organ has the same name and is of similar age.”

Read more: https://nypost.com/2019/11/27/new-jersey-hospital-gave-wrong-patient-a-kidney-transplant/

Always best to write on yourself with a felt tip pen before going into surgery.

Not here (written on my man parts) lol.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

My daughter, who is a hospital administrator, says it is a necessity to write on yourself with a marker like @RabidMongoose suggests, if you have surgery on the right side scheduled write NO on the left side and write YES on the right side (arm, leg, whatever).  That won't help if you are scheduled for carpel tunnel surgery and they give you a kidney transplant, though.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My daughter also said you never go to a catholic hospital in Camden NJ for any surgery.  (she works for Penn)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My daughter also said you never go to a catholic hospital in Camden NJ for any surgery.  (she works for Penn)

Any hospital in New Jersey.....which is why my doctors are at Penn. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Please enlighten us about them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Please enlighten us about them.

I can't, I can only repeat what my daughter told me.  It has to do with lack of procedure, ergo, the wrong person getting a kidney because the people at different stages of preparation did not verify who they were taking in to surgery, there are at least 3 people who handle getting the patient to surgery before the surgeon  starts work and good hospitals train everyone to always ask the patient their name and date of birth before they do anything, whether it is wheeling someone out of a room, drawing blood, shaving them for a surgery, etc.  She also said that infections in the catholic hospitals run rampant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aztek said:

so the guy has 3 kidneys now?  wow, renal function above normal, lol

I said only one brain  not  three.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I can't, I can only repeat what my daughter told me.  It has to do with lack of procedure, ergo, the wrong person getting a kidney because the people at different stages of preparation did not verify who they were taking in to surgery, there are at least 3 people who handle getting the patient to surgery before the surgeon  starts work and good hospitals train everyone to always ask the patient their name and date of birth before they do anything, whether it is wheeling someone out of a room, drawing blood, shaving them for a surgery, etc.  She also said that infections in the catholic hospitals run rampant.

So a management failure to put in place the controls and checks and measures to ensure a string of steps in a process occur properly. That hospital you talk about sounds shambolic.

From my experience I don't understand how this could happen.  My mom and I were in the same room that night before the transplant.  There were a lot of very ritualized steps there was a whole anti bacterial shower thing that happened.  My mom was wheeled out early in the morning to start her kidney remove and I was on my own for a bit before they took me in.  I saw my mom in the operation suite and even sort of confirmed that's my mom at that step.  They constantly asked who i was what I was there for.  But Stanford Hospital is pretty awesome i guess, maybe they just have better procedures.

• Like 1

Hmm.. American Private Healthcare ? 

This wouldn't have happened under the NHS. 

Probably. 

1 hour ago, travelnjones said:

From my experience I don't understand how this could happen.  My mom and I were in the same room that night before the transplant.  There were a lot of very ritualized steps there was a whole anti bacterial shower thing that happened.  My mom was wheeled out early in the morning to start her kidney remove and I was on my own for a bit before they took me in.  I saw my mom in the operation suite and even sort of confirmed that's my mom at that step.  They constantly asked who i was what I was there for.  But Stanford Hospital is pretty awesome i guess, maybe they just have better procedures.

That is what my daughter said does not happen in the hospital mentioned in the OP.  There are steps taken in most hospitals to ensure the correct patient is being tested, shaved, wheeled to the OR, etc ,but apparently that hospital is famous for not doing that.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:32 PM, Desertrat56 said:

That is what my daughter said does not happen in the hospital mentioned in the OP.  There are steps taken in most hospitals to ensure the correct patient is being tested, shaved, wheeled to the OR, etc ,but apparently that hospital is famous for not doing that.

The shaving was a surprise for me.  Post surgery hmm what happened to my hair?  Everything from my gut to my knees shaved.   To explain they didn't remove either kidney they put a third "mom kidney" under gut and semi behind pelvis.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:04 PM, Desertrat56 said:

and good hospitals train everyone to always ask the patient their name and date of birth before they do anything

Yes, yes, and yes.  I don't ever remember not being asked my name and date of birth before anything.  

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:25 PM, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. American Private Healthcare ? 

This wouldn't have happened under the NHS. 

Probably. 

Actually very bad **** happens with renal failure in the UK.  People are often stuck on dialysis for a long time and often the stomach version not the blood type.  random villages don't have hemo dialysis units.  Conversations with one dude in western Britain painted a pretty grim picture.  He and is girlfriend were pretty ****ed by the system.  Renal failure is one of the few instances were America does have universal healthcare, Medicare part B. 

18 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

Actually very bad **** happens with renal failure in the UK.  People are often stuck on dialysis for a long time and often the stomach version not the blood type.  random villages don't have hemo dialysis units.  Conversations with one dude in western Britain painted a pretty grim picture.  He and is girlfriend were pretty ****ed by the system.  Renal failure is one of the few instances were America does have universal healthcare, Medicare part B. 

Medicare Part B is not universal, it is an additional insurance that is paid for  to supplement Medicare Part A, which pays 80 % of most charges (AND costs 135.00 a month deducted from social security)  Only people over 65 have Medicare.  I have known 2 people who were on dialysis for 7 years.  One finally passed (she was my sister's mother in law) and the other is my friend who is still alive, and still getting dialysis 3 times a week. 

Edited by Desertrat56

58 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Medicare Part B is not universal, it is an additional insurance that is paid for  to supplement Medicare Part A, which pays 80 % of most charges (AND costs 135.00 a month deducted from social security)  Only people over 65 have Medicare.  I have known 2 people who were on dialysis for 7 years.  One finally passed (she was my sister's mother in law) and the other is my friend who is still alive, and still getting dialysis 3 times a week. 

Nope if your enter renal failure you get it regardless of age.  I was 27 when i got it.  If you enter end stage renal failure you immediately can get it.  As to percentage and cost I think you are right.  I am just saying your kidney's fail you quality.  

That is truly horrific I am sorry for people on 7 years of dialysis, I know people that have been on that long, I am deeply sorry.  If you or any of your other friends are a match with a health kidney please please please consider donating to the friend.  The day after the transplant was the worse day of my life but every day after has been better than dialysis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

Nope if your enter renal failure you get it regardless of age.  I was 27 when i got it.  If you enter end stage renal failure you immediately can get it.  As to percentage and cost I think you are right.  I am just saying your kidney's fail you quality.  

That is truly horrific I am sorry for people on 7 years of dialysis, I know people that have been on that long, I am deeply sorry.  If you or any of your other friends are a match with a health kidney please please please consider donating to the friend.  The day after the transplant was the worse day of my life but every day after has been better than dialysis.

Something I did not know.