Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frozen 18,000-yr-old puppy baffles scientists

Eldorado

They should test it against the domestic Asian Yellow dogs and Southeast Asian wolf. I bet they would find a few matches.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, acute said:

What's that in Dog Years?

763,000 years, 5 months,18 days,2 hours,10 minutes and 23 seconds.........

........and so I don't have to.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

This was posted on my local news Facebook page. You would not believe the amount of people saying this can’t be true because the earth isn’t that old. That’s the Bible Belt for ya. 

Yes, someone posted that tour of the ark theme park and it was amazing how silly their "science" or as the girl said "anti-science" was.  I watched about 10 minutes of Bill Nye touring the place but it was obvious they invited him to be interviewed so that they could pretend like they were "schooling" him.  It really  made them look even more stupid.  The weirdest part of that one was the interviewer was from Australia.

I remember being told as a child in sunday school that the earth was only 5000 years old which made no sense even then.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, someone posted that tour of the ark theme park and it was amazing how silly their "science" or as the girl said "anti-science" was.  I watched about 10 minutes of Bill Nye touring the place but it was obvious they invited him to be interviewed so that they could pretend like they were "schooling" him.  It really  made them look even more stupid.  The weirdest part of that one was the interviewer was from Australia.

I remember being told as a child in sunday school that the earth was only 5000 years old which made no sense even then.

Was the Aussie that numbskull Ken Ham by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, psyche101 said:

Was the Aussie that numbskull Ken Ham by any chance?

Yes, that was him,  numbskull is a kinder word than I thought to myself to describe him.

• Haha 4

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, that was him,  numbskull is a kinder word than I thought to myself to describe him.

Justified too :lol:

Lol, it is a family forum I guess....

He left our shores some time ago to get involved in setting up the creationist museum. The Jesus rode dinosaurs one. He is an ex primary school teacher. 

Bill Nye handed his butt to him on a plate in a debate online.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

It’s my understanding that they even have dinosaurs in the arc museum, wonder how they explain that?

Ive told this story here before but I’ll tell it again...

when my daughter was about 5 we were at the doctors office. There was a boy reading a book about dinosaurs and he asked his mother what killed the dinosaurs. Her answer was, I kid you not, “Noah’s flood.”.

My daughter turned to me and asked “Mom, what really killed the dinosaurs?”.  I’m surprised that mother didn’t grab her kid and run when I started talking. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"The 18,000-year-old body of a near perfectly preserved puppy has left scientists puzzled. Russian scientists discovered the body of the canine near Yakutsk, in eastern Siberia.

"Preserved by permafrost, the specimen's nose, fur and teeth are remarkably intact.

"Using carbon dating on the creature's rib bone, experts from Sweden's Centre for Palaeogenetics were able to confirm that the specimen had been frozen for around 18,000 years, but extensive DNA tests have so far been unable to show whether the animal was a dog or a wolf."

Full report at CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/frozen-puppy-intl-scli-scn/index.html

Good pics at the UK Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7728045/A-remarkably-preserved-18-000-year-old-dog-Siberia.html

I wish they went into more detail on how it was discovered.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"The 18,000-year-old body of a near perfectly preserved puppy has left scientists puzzled. Russian scientists discovered the body of the canine near Yakutsk, in eastern Siberia.

"Preserved by permafrost, the specimen's nose, fur and teeth are remarkably intact.

"Using carbon dating on the creature's rib bone, experts from Sweden's Centre for Palaeogenetics were able to confirm that the specimen had been frozen for around 18,000 years, but extensive DNA tests have so far been unable to show whether the animal was a dog or a wolf."

Full report at CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/frozen-puppy-intl-scli-scn/index.html

Good pics at the UK Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7728045/A-remarkably-preserved-18-000-year-old-dog-Siberia.html

Since it's  in such great shape because it has been frozen, I wonder if they could clone it. That would be pretty cool to bring back a possible extinct Dog species. 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 6

Some extra pics at the Siberian Times:

"The male puppy with its arrow-head milky teeth was less than two months old when it died. 

"It was found in summer 2018 inside a lump of a frozen ground near Indigirka River, north-east of Yakutsk, its full body, muzzle, and even whiskers and eyelashes preserved by permafrost.

"The reason for the puppy’s death has not been determined yet, although its position did not suggest distress, unlike of the earlier discovered Tumat puppies."

https://siberiantimes.com/science/others/news/amazingly-preserved-puppy-with-its-whiskers-eyelashes-hair-and-velvety-nose-intact-puzzle-scientists/

The "Tumat puppies"(2015) : https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/n0386-sibling-of-oldest-mummified-puppy-in-the-world-found-preserved-in-permafrost/

• Thanks 5

Wonderful, at least it was determined to be boy puppies, now if only it can be settled once and for all if Conan the war hero doggy was a boy or a girl... 

~

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Some extra pics at the Siberian Times:

"The male puppy with its arrow-head milky teeth was less than two months old when it died. 

"It was found in summer 2018 inside a lump of a frozen ground near Indigirka River, north-east of Yakutsk, its full body, muzzle, and even whiskers and eyelashes preserved by permafrost.

"The reason for the puppy’s death has not been determined yet, although its position did not suggest distress, unlike of the earlier discovered Tumat puppies."

https://siberiantimes.com/science/others/news/amazingly-preserved-puppy-with-its-whiskers-eyelashes-hair-and-velvety-nose-intact-puzzle-scientists/

The "Tumat puppies"(2015) : https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/n0386-sibling-of-oldest-mummified-puppy-in-the-world-found-preserved-in-permafrost/

This is a real interesting thread, it would really be great if they could clone it. It shouldn't be a problem since it's in perfect condition. That would be the perfect ending to this story.

Thanks for sharing this thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 11/28/2019 at 2:54 PM, acute said:

What's that in Dog Years?

You should be asking in Hound Years. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 8:48 PM, psyche101 said:

He left our shores some time ago to get involved in setting up the creationist museum. The Jesus rode dinosaurs one. He is an ex primary school teacher. 

Well, there is another dinosaur creationist museum in Glenrose, Texas that is just as stupid.  Too bad Bill Nye is not great with people, I think his problem is that he has not experience with someone who can't debate using facts, and instead just goes on the attack.  I did not want to see more of that video, but hoped that Bill Nye did not back down.  I think I would have been laughing my head off at the questions and responses that Ken Ham used.  He is not really very skillful himself.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:48 PM, psyche101 said:

I would like to know why Ham didn't build his creationist ark park in Australia? 

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, there is another dinosaur creationist museum in Glenrose, Texas that is just as stupid.  Too bad Bill Nye is not great with people, I think his problem is that he has not experience with someone who can't debate using facts, and instead just goes on the attack.  I did not want to see more of that video, but hoped that Bill Nye did not back down.  I think I would have been laughing my head off at the questions and responses that Ken Ham used.  He is not really very skillful himself.

Ken's presentation was amateurish at best. His past as a primary school teacher really showed in his power point presentations.

Bill Nye was well accepted by the people. They voted on the debate and the result was ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnhTqhbr6YTgd0p0zm43o

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I would like to know why Ham didn't build his creationist ark park in Australia? 

Funding.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2019 at 1:53 AM, psyche101 said:

Ken's presentation was amateurish at best. His past as a primary school teacher really showed in his power point presentations.

Bill Nye was well accepted by the people. They voted on the debate and the result was ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnhTqhbr6YTgd0p0zm43o

Yes,  the video I mentioned was the one where Bill Nye went to the Ark theme park and Ken was on the attack.  I think I scarmbled my words.  I started to watch the debate but I didn't have 2 hours or even 30 minutes to get in to it.  The first 5 minutes were enough for me to see that Ken is claiming non-religious scientists change the meanings of words, and in his "proof" of that, he changed the meaning of words.   :P

On 11/30/2019 at 1:54 AM, psyche101 said:

Funding.

Yeah, I thought so.  He can't charge 57.99 to australians to present his lies and anti-science, but there are plenty in the US that have spare money to give to him.  He probably got the idea from all the televangelists that get people to send them money for air.